A question to all girl gamers...

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
EmileeElectro said:
Haha. The basic assumption on this site is that everyone is male unless proven otherwise. When I first joined, I got addressed as 'him' a lot. Now I'm hoping people know me, or look at the 'Emilee' and realise.

I know you joined this thread because you thought us girls would be secretly having pillow fighrts and mud wrestles in pyjamas, but decieving you by saying it's a thread...

[sub]...I always know...[/sub]
Yeah now I look at the "Emilee" in your username and feel quite a fool :p my badd.

To be fair the basic assumption on the internet is just that - to quote "Welcome to the Internet - where men are men, women are men and children are the FBI". Girls are guys a surprising amount of the time (it gets you free stuff in MMOs).

Isn't that what's going on here? Goddammit again?! *sigh* this always happens, the minute I turn up all the pillow fights and wrestling just stops.

[sub]I'll catch you lot one day.....[/sub]

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Caenis said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Caenis said:
Well, first, you have to make sure you understand that the "majority" is not a big one anymore. There are some estimates that suggest that up to 40% of gamers are women.

I've played games off and on my whole life. From Atari (I was quite young, but did play with my parents a bit) to Commodore 64 (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, anyone?) and all the way on up to PS3 now. I play a whole variety of games too. From Katamari and LBP, which are family friendly titles, to Borderlands, Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2.

I just like games. Period. Can't tell you why, just as I can't really tell you why I'm the kind of girl who doesn't want her boyfriend to buy her diamonds. It's just me.

Speaking towards the "oppression" of female gamers, I think assuming that we started because of a brother or father, or that Wii and Popcap games were our intro is part of the problem. We don't have to be gentled into gaming. But we do want our tastes (which don't always include flowers and the color pink) to be included.

So, to the person tired of the "oppression" threads, give me a break. While I don't want to project a victim mentality (I'm certainly not a victim), that viewpoint is valid. If you're a game maker, a marketer, or you just want to play with some kick butt chicks, then ignoring those kinds of threads is not going to suit you well.
I am sorry if I offended you, I was just curios about the subject after watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZVZRsy8N8 .
You didn't offend me much (though I do wish guys realized that some girls think Popcap games are dumb too...). The "Oh God, not another thread about oppressed girl gamers" from the other poster did.
Oh, glad to hear it, and I never really thought that every girl game would be counting the seconds till the 20th minor change to Bejeweled came out (though I will admit I think I like Plants vs. Zombies to much for my own good).

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
In an effort to direct the thread back to the OP... I really liked fantasy things (was reading lord of the rings at age eight), so naturally when I saw things like Legend of Zelda and Spyro the Dragon, I was like 'hell yeah, that's for me!' It just sort of blossomed from there, and I gradually became the twisted, psychotic person I am today...

Also, I got my dad into video games, not the other way around :)

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
My daughter games almost as much as her husband (and he's a gaming freak).
I bought her a Nintendo (original) when she was young.

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
Hm, well I remember growing up being mesmerized every time my father played our old DreamCast. I insisted that he only play it with me around. Of course, I remember getting nightmares from Soul Reaver. I had to play copious amounts of the old Lion King game on the SEGA until I felt my innocence returning ;o;
However, it wasn't until about...5 or 6 years ago that I got really into it. After a few years, finally got my first PS2, along with Kingdom Hearts. Soon after ditched the safety of Disney games and ventured into the survival horror realm, where I've happily lived for the past couple years. c:

Caenis

Mar 18, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Oh, glad to hear it, and I never really thought that every girl game would be counting the seconds till the 20th minor change to Bejeweled came out (though I will admit I think I like Plants vs. Zombies to much for my own good).
Nothing wrong with that. Plants vs. Zombies was hilarious. It was original, unusual, and challenging. The Thriller zombies made me laugh so hard!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Caenis said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Nothing wrong with that. Plants vs. Zombies was hilarious. It was original, unusual, and challenging. The Thriller zombies made me laugh so hard!
True... I rate it's end theme just barely below Still Alive in terms of gamings greatest themes, and it's Evony parody adds are beyond genius. Though I still think I might have a problem since I still randomly whistle the theme.

Iampringles

Dec 13, 2008
EmileeElectro said:
Haha. The basic assumption on this site is that everyone is male unless proven otherwise.
I have found this to be the case with gaming in general, also.

ThePocketWeasel

Mar 24, 2009
I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember. I remember having a Sonic game on an ancient console, I don't remember exactly which one it was, I wasn't particularly interested in what console it was at the time, it played Sonic and I enjoyed it. Then when my mom brought me and my sister a PS1 for christmas one year I played Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer over and over and over and it carried on from there.

Boxmeister

Jun 27, 2009
I always used to watch my brother and his friends play James Bond and Zelda, then when I started working at a pizza place there were a bunch of people going on about how awesome the 360 is... and then Gears of War came out and that was that, I got a taste and haven't stopped yet.

weecath77

Dec 22, 2009
Started young on Commodre 64 and then zx spectrum up to present day ps3.Played and watched with my brothers and just always loved that feeling of beating a game or getting to the next level.I love gaming and always will and growing up with my brothers playing games never made me feel that it was solely a male pastime.

dusk storm momma

Apr 3, 2010
Very good question, though you are really making me show my age. Like Chancie, I remember playing Doom and Duke Nukem. But the very first game I remember playing was Pong on my Uncle's Atari. That was soo cool, of course I was like 6 or 7 at the time, and no one had the internet let alone other game systems or PCs. Oh how far we have come. Then again, I don't really classify myself as much of a gamer bcause it seems so many of the younglings view real gamers as hardcore MMORPG and just can't seem to get into take. After so many years of physically seeing the person I was playing against, it just isn't quit as much fun to me, probably more an age thing than a girl thing. However, I prefer FPS and some RPG and on occassion I commandeer one of my girls' pokemon game.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Way back when I was 4 we had a SNES and a NES and I tried them out. It was really fun so I played a lot.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
My friend Hannah and I were into skateboarding big time, and her father had bought her Tony Hawk's Pro skater for the playstation, and she invited me round to play once she had gotten so good she was unbeatable. Once I got hold of a ps2 and various gameboys, it didn't stop. Now in university, I play on my hall of residence's Halo Team (the only female member) and regularly take turns playing through dead space, squeaking and throwing the controller every time it makes me jump.

I guess, there's a thrill that comes with it, and of course, a sense of... Not community, but almost. Getting a group of people and shooting the hell out of them, or jamming with them - hell, even canoeing faster than them on Wii resort - is the most fantastic feeling ever, especially when you win ;)

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
My dad and my brother played his old NES. Then my grandma played some classic Zelda, My mom played duck hunt. It was only a matter of time for me to get intersted.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
My dad used to play PS1 games (we weren't a Nintendo family) and they interested me. The current set of male friends (of which there are many o_O) all play vidja games, so I figured I may as well. Got a laptop and had to customized for gaming. Voila.

LadyZephyr

Nov 1, 2007
Mum's friend had an NES that they let me play. A few years later when I was old enough to have a console of my own, I got an SNES and learned comprehensive reading playing old Woosleyfied JRPGs. I'd read them aloud and the adults with me told me what I read had meant. Got a PSX after those came out, fell in love with Spyro, thus beginning my eternal worship of Insomniac Games. Played a ton of JRPGs and even more platformers. Only got into FPSes in recent years.

I'm an only child. If gaming is some inherently male thing that requires an excuse to justify a girl being as in love with video games as I am, then maybe it's because gaming is a bonding event in my house. Mum and I love playing games together. Well, I play them and she does running commentary, like my own personal Mystery Science Theatre 3000. She's not as on the up and up about the world of gaming news, but we tend to have heated discussions about things like what Sony's plan with the PS3 launch was and things like that.

So, yes. Girl gamer, have been since quite literally before I can remember, and while I took a few years off for other hobbies, I always seem to come back to this. Also my Mum is awesome, even if she does sadly like FF8 more than I think it deserves.