A Question to all those Chefs and Foodies out there...

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
In the next couple of days I'm cooking a meal for someone and I'm in a bit of a pickle. I don't know what to serve with my dish!
The dish is a Cod (or Halibut) steak baked with mushrooms, celery, onion, carrots, bacon and white wine, with a touch of parsly, thyme and lemon.

Now, the recipe (which comes from the veritable Delia Smith) suggests that it should be served with Mash Potatoes made with sour cream and a pinch of nutmeg. However, I feel that this might detract from the main event so I was thinking that a simple bed of white rice would suffice.

So I ask you fellow 'scapists! What would go well with my fishy dishy?

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
You could serve it on a bed of lightly cooked spinach leaves. I feel that white rice may be a little bland in taste, and a bit filling when combined with what sounds like a farily homely and hearty core to the dish.

I rarely eat greens, but spiniach can be a great accompaniment when the remnants of the sauce, veg, bacon etc are left on the plate.

The greeks do it like this http://www.parentsconnect.com/recipes/Greek_Halibut_Bed_Spinac.jhtml

Go light on the sauce over the fish, add some of the bacon onion and carrots to the top of the fish and then sprinkle enough sauce around the outside to balance the solid elements, without flooding the plate.

The first bite is with the eye, make it pretty!

And no parsley sprigs laid on top, they're not overly edible on their own, meaning you'll have to dump it on the side of your plate before you can dig in. I have the same hatred for mint sprigs on sorbets, just an annoyance!

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
If you wanted to stick with potatoes, you could also go with roasted new potatoes. Just use a little olive oil and salt, garlic and pepper. Maybe add some lemon juice.

However, I do like Private Custard's suggestion of spinach.

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
Private Custard said:
You could serve it on a bed of lightly cooked spinach leaves. I feel that white rice may be a little bland in taste, and a bit filling when combined with what sounds like a farily homely and hearty core to the dish.

I rarely eat greens, but spiniach can be a great accompaniment when the remnants of the sauce, veg, bacon etc are left on the plate.
As far as spinach, I would suggest using the grease from the bacon, some vinegar, excess onion and celery and mix it together with raw spinach. If the grease is still warm, it will and a good flavor to the greens and will slightly wilt the spinach. The Wilted Spinach is a family favorite at my house and I think that it should be a useful recipe for you.

P.S. You could use it for a "bed" for the Halibut.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Private Custard said:
I think I like this idea. As you said, this seems like quite a hearty dish on its own, hence why I was worried about potatos being overkill. So yea, I think I'll go with that, thanks Private Custard!

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
RossyB said:
Private Custard said:
I think I like this idea. As you said, this seems like quite a hearty dish on its own, hence why I was worried about potatos being overkill. So yea, I think I'll go with that, thanks Private Custard!
Glad I could help, hope it goes well :)

P.S. - Don't overcook the spinach, that'd make it far too school-dinnerish!

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Although you seem to have found your answer I'd like to throw in my personal favourite to have with fish (Usually atlantic salmon rather than Halibut); Wasabi mash and Sautee'd asparigus (Fresh, not the stuff soaked in vinegar)

I realise you said mash is too heavy but if you peel/skin the potatoes first and use rather a lot of milk and butter you can get a nice, light mash which is delicious with a little wasabi folded through.

Try making it for yourself first, it can go wrong.