A question to the Veteran Fighting Games Players after I saw Dizzy's Instant Kill.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
For the people who don't know, Dizzy is now available FOR FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME as DLC for Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-.
Trailer below

Glorious to say the least.

However I saw later her Instant Kill and I had a very serious question to ask to the Veteran Players of the series or in Fighting Gmaes in general:

....How much insulting is this as a defeat result?
Like, you don't get "Destroyed" like normaly when you lost a fight, but you "Surrendered".
Plus after this Dizzy tell you "Thank Godness. You turned away..."

I don't know, but I feel it is very insulting for the players which always are competitive as f*ck. Am I wrong?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
yeah this is all in good fun tbh, I'm no longer a tourney player but when I was we used to talk a lot of smack to each other and it's all just for fun. This is one of those moves where whoever gets hit by it falls to the "git gud" joke category and nothing more

it's not insulting

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
No, a text swap is not insulting, though I suppose getting hit with an insta-death in competitive is embarrassing regardless of which one it is. I love this one, in fact.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Its Guilty Gear! The whole thing is a parody of Anime and fighting games! We're just lucky she didn't spend two and a half hours charging up an energy blast.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
HA, that is pretty great. It totally fits her character and really the guilty gear instant kills are more about just having fun with things. I mean, look at Elphelts, she shoots someone with a love bullet.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Nope why would it. It's a fun move and in character. I doubt anyone heavy into guilty gear or fighting games in general would have a problem with it. I just love Slayer's Meh, look because canonically he's just about the only one in the cast whom that attack would do nothing to.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Instant Kills are so impractical to land that you never see them when serious players are playing. Also, they are really easy to land too, so it actually has no impact, it just takes a ton of meter but the actual way of comboin into it is easier than a bnb combo, so yeah, there's nothing imprrssive at all. That is says Surrendered is just a way of making a joke.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
SweetShark said:
For the people who don't know, Dizzy is now available FOR FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME as DLC for Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-.
Trailer below

However I saw later her Instant Kill and I had a very serious question to ask to the Veteran Players of the series or in Fighting Gmaes in general:

Like, you don't get "Destroyed" like normaly when you lost a fight, but you "Surrendered".

I don't know, but I feel it is very insulting for the players which always are competitive as f*ck. Am I wrong?
No, it is not insulting. I don't know how much you know about GG lore, so sorry if I am explaining something you already know.

So, Dizzy is one of the most peaceful and humane characters in the game. She is not really into violence and mostly preffers to avoid conflicts (yeah yeah, gameplay and story segregation, I know).

She also possesses two wings: Undine (blue angel) and Necro (green reaper). They are both sentient (to some extent) and have their own personalities, with Undine being calm and kind and Necro being vicious and bloodthirsty (though they both love Dizzy and wish to protect her). So in the IK animation, Necro fires a rather powerful killing laser into Dizzies opponent, obviously to kill them. Dizzy doesn't want that and pulls his hand away. After that, she is glad that her opponent is alive.

However, since Insta Kill de facto did not happen and she didn't win normally, devs created a special message.
inu-kun said:
Holy shit this is one of the greatest Instant Kills I've seen, is Guilty Gear a game where instant kills are used in competitive play?
Well, yes and no. It is possible to pull it off, however, if it is the same as in older games, if you fail to actually land the insta kill, your super bar will "break", meaning you'll be left without normal supers and barrier. So I don't think people use it too often.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Mister K said:
She also possesses two wings: Undine (blue angel) and Necro (green reaper). They are both sentient (to some extent) and have their own personalities, with Undine being calm and kind and Necro being vicious and bloodthirsty (though they both love Dizzy and wish to protect her). So in the IK animation, Necro fires a rather powerful killing laser into Dizzies opponent, obviously to kill them. Dizzy doesn't want that and pulls his hand away. After that, she is glad that her opponent is alive.
Also, as an addendum, the losing player has just had a nuke whip past their earhole by a hairs breadth.

Its fair to say the fights gone out of them, and they may be needing a change of underwear.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Nah, Pro Players know so much about the data behind every active (Gameplay) frame of animation, once the hit that triggers the instant kill connects, the round is over so what happens after that doesn't matter.
Personally, I find most pro players get offended about is what the opponent does in the fight itself, like taunting and tea-bagging (Crouching and standing up over and over).

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
Nah, Pro Players know so much about the data behind every active (Gameplay) frame of animation, once the hit that triggers the instant kill connects, the round is over so what happens after that doesn't matter.
Personally, I find most pro players get offended about is what the opponent does in the fight itself, like taunting and tea-bagging (Crouching and standing up over and over).
Tauntin in GG gives your foe meter and is a please hit me button so serious players never use it only bad players who think they are good do.

Mister K said:
SweetShark said:
Trailer below

No, it is not insulting. I don't know how much you know about GG lore, so sorry if I am explaining something you already know.

So, Dizzy is one of the most peaceful and humane characters in the game. She is not really into violence and mostly preffers to avoid conflicts (yeah yeah, gameplay and story segregation, I know).

However, since Insta Kill de facto did not happen and she didn't win normally, devs created a special message.
inu-kun said:
Holy shit this is one of the greatest Instant Kills I've seen, is Guilty Gear a game where instant kills are used in competitive play?
Well, yes and no. It is possible to pull it off, however, if it is the same as in older games, if you fail to actually land the insta kill, your super bar will "break", meaning you'll be left without normal supers and barrier. So I don't think people use it too often.
IKs changed in Xrd to become more like AHs in BB but you still need 100 meter to combo into it (just doing it without a combo will never land so of course that is obvious to be ignored) and it has to be the final round and your foe has to be in hellfire state so yeah if all these factors line up and you still have 100 meter you will have to have been holding back from winning to land that IK which is detrimental to competitive mentality so people don't go for it.

Sep 24, 2008
Here's what is Insulting.

Slayer's loss pose. He's not knocked out, he's not hurt, he's just laying there amused like "Ok, poor baby, you want the victory so much? Here, I'll let you have it." That's insulting.

Friendships from Mortal Kombat. In a game about killing, you're making people balloon animals. That's insulting.

This? This is Dizzy, one of the most powerful beings in this series. She lost control for a second. And destruction happened in a flash.

It's like being the one small time, underpowered crook who made Superman furious. When you realize that man who is looking at you with Death in his eyes has once pushed your planet back into orbit... you're going to want to give up as soon as possible.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Mister K said:

She also possesses two wings: Undine (blue angel) and Necro (green reaper). They are both sentient (to some extent) and have their own personalities, with Undine being calm and kind and Necro being vicious and bloodthirsty (though they both love Dizzy and wish to protect her).
I love the subtle touches that both of these are painted as. The angel wing does the protection manoeuvres for Dizzy, while the reaper wing does the damaging moves. And it's usually while Dizzy herself is cowering. In one of the more powerful (or at least more powerful looking) moves she has, Undine taps Dizzy on the shoulder and when she turns around, Necro does the actual attack.

Just something I always liked about Dizzy's design - the constant struggle she is shown to have with her powers making her more in control of them than the other way around.

Mister K said:
inu-kun said:
Yep, that's true. To top it off, a lot of the destroyers have a particular range and/or situations where they need to be activated in order to actually work. If your opponent moves away or jumps before right about you're triggering it - bye bye, special meter. All the destroyers can be blocked, as well, so at a minimum you have two ways to deflect them. Couple that with entering "I can now activate my destroyer" mode being big and obvious[footnote]Or rather, that used to be the case - the background changes, the character "channels power" for a moment and then the special bar changes shapes and colour.[/footnote]...they aren't really good. They are amazing as hell to watch, but I've not seen anybody actually use them successfully in a real battle.

I've not even seen the game played at tournaments - I've only played GGX with some friends in person. We weren't that good but that means that a destroyer would have only been more effective against us. And yet, the few tries I've seen, have all been unsuccessful, since even scrubs know how to defend against it effectively.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
This? This is Dizzy, one of the most powerful beings in this series. She lost control for a second. And destruction happened in a flash.

It's like being the one small time, underpowered crook who made Superman furious. When you realize that man who is looking at you with Death in his eyes has once pushed your planet back into orbit... you're going to want to give up as soon as possible.
Mister K said:

I don't mean story wise. I know from the Lore I read Dizzy is VERY peaceful to be an assh*le.
I am talking about the competitive side of the game.

Diablo1099 said:
That is a very nice answer. Thank you for the insight.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Winnosh said:
Nope why would it. It's a fun move and in character. I doubt anyone heavy into guilty gear or fighting games in general would have a problem with it. I just love Slayer's Meh, look because canonically he's just about the only one in the cast whom that attack would do nothing to.
I expected something similar with Raven as well, but then I saw he is also shocked like the majority of the others.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
SweetShark said:
That is a very nice answer. Thank you for the insight.
Now, if they made a combo into an Instant Kill that did involve tea-bagging or a taunt, then you might get someone salty but the amount of time it takes to go Pro in a single Fighting Game means you would have seen every single bit of the game so many times to begin with.

I guess it's all down to the person you're playing and how much of an ass he/she's being IRL.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Goddamn it... I guess I will have to get this latest Guilty Gear; I always forget what mad fun it is.

Oh Japan!

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Even if Dizzy kill the majority of people by using her Death Nuclear Ball of Annihilation, she is forgiven by getting a kiss by a squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D8DuxYUTYQ&t=1m6s

Aaaaaaaa, so cute!