A question to those who have at some point been punched in the face.

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
Hey oniaPL, thanks for making me not the only guy here who kind of likes it.

There's a flash of light, followed by a numb coolness. The stinging doesn't hit until minutes later, and the soreness HOURS later.

Man it's been years. I really should find somebody to get into a nice consensual scuffle with. I kinda miss it.

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
I was punched full on in the face by a big muscular guy and all I felt was a slight sting and some numbness like you described.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Zhukov said:
Short version: What does it feel like to you? What exactly is the resulting physical sensation?

I ask because every time I've gotten involved in a scuffle and taken a punch to the face (not that this happens often mind you, I'm no brawler), the affected area just goes instantly numb. I register the impact and if the blow was hard enough there's a brief moment of disorientation, but there's no pain, just a slightly heavy numb feeling.

I assumed this was normal, perhaps the result of adrenaline or endorphins or something, until having a conversation with some workmates earlier today. The general consensus among them seemed to be, "it hurts". They were mildly surprised and a bit sceptical when I told them about the numbness thing.

So, oh great and wise internet, I put the question to you. What exactly does it feel like when you take a knuckle to the facial regions?
A split second of pain, severe disoreintation, and then grogginess. Took a massive punch to the side of the head, then was held up against a wall while I had my phone and mp3 player taken.

Not a fun experience, do not recommend. 2/5 stars.

Tryforlive

Sep 1, 2009
My face felt better after like... 5-10 seconds, but then again it wasn't that hard of a punch.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Zhukov said:
What does it feel like to you?
Pretty much what you described, although teeth did hurt afterwards.
What exactly is the resulting physical sensation?
That of the worthless little ****'s jaw connecting with my knuckles. It was followed by the interesting sound of a lamp-post hitting the back of his head. I still regret not hitting him again, but he had friends across the street and I wasn't in running shoes.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I got punched straight in the nose by this chick who was picking on a friend in high school. It went numb and all my anger just vanished, it kind of stunned me that she did it. Then the blood fountain began....

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
trollpwner said:
The pain's manageable, but the psychological effects are what gets you. I'm fine with any injury where I know what it is and that it isn't going to kill me, but often, the fear and distress surrounding the pain of being punched are the worst part of it. I've never had my face smashed in a brawl, but I've been in sparring situations where I've been getting beaten and there, even though it was in a safe environment, the knowledge that I was getting beaten was horrible.

Susan Arendt said:
Gets really hot, then hurts like a *****. That's right on the cheekbone, though, dunno about other spots. Oh, getting socked in the nose makes you feel all stuffy.
Linking on from my psychological....erm....thing-ee, would you say that the situations in which girls are punched in the face greatly differs from the situations in which guys are punched in the face, and whether there were differences in the level of distress you'd expect people to experience?
I really can't say. I wouldn't presume that my experience is universal.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
trollpwner said:
The pain's manageable, but the psychological effects are what gets you. I'm fine with any injury where I know what it is and that it isn't going to kill me, but often, the fear and distress surrounding the pain of being punched are the worst part of it. I've never had my face smashed in a brawl, but I've been in sparring situations where I've been getting beaten and there, even though it was in a safe environment, the knowledge that I was getting beaten was horrible.

Susan Arendt said:
Gets really hot, then hurts like a *****. That's right on the cheekbone, though, dunno about other spots. Oh, getting socked in the nose makes you feel all stuffy.
Linking on from my psychological....erm....thing-ee, would you say that the situations in which girls are punched in the face greatly differs from the situations in which guys are punched in the face, and whether there were differences in the level of distress you'd expect people to experience?
Speaking from a strictly social perspective I'd imagine most women (depending on the situation) would probably experience more surprise then men when being hit in the face as it's probably more likely to happen between two men in our society. Other than that... probably hurts just the same either way. Though I have heard that, biologically, women are more prone to pain than men are. Not sure how true that is.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I'm normally drunk when it happens. I get punched by women footballers a lot for some reason. But the few times I've been in a sober state... it varied. On the cheek, it goes numb. If it glance my cheekbones or jawbones it hurts like hell though.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Hurt like a ***** for me. Although the guy did not a fucking tooth out and it bounced across the mats at our karate dojo. It was not numb, that is for sure! It hurt like hell and the place where the tooth had been ripped out did not feel very nice for a while. The pain was too much and I did not finish the other half hour of the lesson. Was actually my first lesson at the new club against a guy who was heavier than me and intentionally punched hard. I am a very passive person and even in tournaments I rather exercise too much control as opposed to too little. Fuck that dude, if he had had his mitts that day I may have kept the tooth :mad:

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
It may be due to the alcohol, but I did not feel pain when I got sucker punched. Next morning, I couldn't close my teeth without pain for a few days.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Meh, didn't really feel it. Though I was punched repeatedly. I think. Felt like it at least. I was out of it for a couple seconds though. All I knew was that my nose hurt suddenly, and that it was bleeding, though the pain was dull. Never actually felt the punches.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Painless. I've been punched in the face several times,all with enough force to put me on my ass. Each time,I felt nothing from the punch. I think it's the body's way of saying "PROTECT THE HEAD! YOU HAVE NO TIME TO FEEL PAIN!".

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Anger and nausea.

Anger because I, more likely than not, will be bleeding by the nose for the next 30 minutes, and nausea because of said bleeding.

I just can't win.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
My only experience of being punched in the face had similar results to most of the responses. I didn't really feel it at all, a guy in high school decided he was having a bad day and punching me in the mouth would fix it, im pretty sure his day got worse. Although I didn't know I was bleeding until I saw blood drip on the floor when I smashed his head into the ground.

So yeah...I didn't feel it at all, I didn't feel it later either, it may have been that I was worried about losing a tooth because his first punch hit me in th mouth and made one of my teeth feel lose

Captcha : toe curling. o_O

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Definitely goes numb for me, the adrenaline handles everything quite nicely at the time.

It wasn't until a couple minutes later that I noticed my shirt drenched in blood, that is when the pain kicked in. Turned out nose had been broken, though I left the x-ray too long for it to be set properly, and I wussed out when they said they could re-break it and set it right.

Xian_Frost

Jul 18, 2010
I got was accidentally punched in the mouth as a kid and got a baby tooth knocked out by my older brother. We were watching wrestling and he was waving his fist around and I was behind him and got a fist to the teeth. Let's just say I cried.

Not something I want to experience again.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mine hurt... a lot. I didn't numb.

If anything, it went numb about an hour later.