A Real-Life Biotech Company is Trying to Reanimate the Dead

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
A Real-Life Biotech Company is Trying to Reanimate the Dead

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1319/1319210.jpgA US biotech company is attempting to restart the brains of deceased test subjects.

Science has done some amazing things over the years, and a new study is attempting to do something even more revolutionary: Bring people back from the dead. Over the next year, the group from Bioquark Inc. will be stimulating the nervous systems of deceased test subjects in the hope of restarting their brains.

The patients in question are all medically certified as brain dead, and are being kept from decomposing through the use of life-support machines. They will be injecting stem cells into the brain, stimulating nerves, and infusing the spinal cords with chemicals to attempt to achieve their goal.

Bioquark CEO Ira Pastor told the Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/03/dead-could-be-brought-back-to-life-in-groundbreaking-project/],

"To undertake such a complex initiative, we are combining biologic regenerative medicine tools with other existing medical devices typically used for stimulation of the central nervous system, in patients with other severe disorders of consciousness. We hope to see results within the first two to three months."

The trials are being held at Anupam Hospital in Rudrapur, Uttarakhand in India. Pastor said that "It is a long-term vision of ours that a full recovery in such patients is a possibility."

It almost sounds like the plot to a new action-adventure game, or the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Either way, if they succeed in actually reviving a patient's brain, it will be a huge step forward.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Fascinating. My question here; is being "brain dead" not the same as actually being dead? Like they're keeping the body alive but the brain isn't functioning completely? How does that work, and what is the mental state of a brain dead individual? If they can actually bring them back, I wonder what the subjects will say.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ah yes, saw this a few days back, this is most certainly interesting. Stem cells have had wonderful results with brain healing and improvement in rats so far. I am a little excited for what else stem cells could add to their brain functions IF they do succeed in these trials. Please grant telekinesis powers...pleaaase. Or some other mind fuckery, it doesn't matter that much.
Lastly, if we could extract witness testimonials from their experiences (or lack of), perhaps we could put all this afterlife stuff in the past so people can start living their lives fruitfully for once. Though what a global existential crisis looks like is anybody's guess. Probably not very pretty or gracious.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Gibbagobba said:
Fascinating. My question here; is being "brain dead" not the same as actually being dead? Like they're keeping the body alive but the brain isn't functioning completely? How does that work, and what is the mental state of a brain dead individual? If they can actually bring them back, I wonder what the subjects will say.
Basically there is no brain activity and they're being kept alive entirely by machines because the brain can't regulate anything.

GrumpyPirate

Mar 14, 2005
Havent been actualy logged on for quite a while but this is pretty bad even for whats become of this site. Rarely seen clickbait like this, stop taking lessons in bullshit from CNN and Fox and try to focus on actual journalism from guys like John Oliver, Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart... wow, what has the world come to when comedians are more serious journalists than actual people pretending to be journalists? You sure these people are braindead? They might just have said; "stop the earth, i wanna get off" you know? ;P

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Lastly, if we could extract witness testimonials from their experiences (or lack of), perhaps we could put all this afterlife stuff in the past so people can start living their lives fruitfully for once. Though what a global existential crisis looks like is anybody's guess. Probably not very pretty or gracious.
It wont make a difference, if they say that they experienced nothing then the religious groups will explain it as not truely being their time or they don't remember because they were pulled back forcibly by the repairs. They may even claim its not the same person or that the person is now 'souless' and basically a zombie. If the person claims they saw heaven or some afterlife the detractors will claim it was a psychological effect caused by the neurons starting back up or the brain trying to comprehend what its experienced.

Either way the argument will continue no matter what happens.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
'tis a dark, dark thing they do. 'Tis unnatural. Read this cautionary tale and repent:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/hwr.aspx

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
What, is today new tech announcement day or something? this, Lockheed saying they have made progress on their mini fusion reactor and IBM putting out a real quantum computer.

Now to hope all 3 pan out.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
brain dead is not dead dead, and that distinction matters when talking to gamers about reanimating the dead.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Bad Jim said:
'tis a dark, dark thing they do. 'Tis unnatural. Read this cautionary tale and repent:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/hwr.aspx
Damn beat me to it, but yeah.

While I feel like this is probably gonna go nowhere at best and full blown zombies at complete, improbable worst, I am willing to see where this leads

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
...Kinda unsettling. I wonder how they sold it to these test subjects.

I mean, you know itll be a trial and error part, you know it's probably not going to work well starting out.

Would you want to come back from brain dead if you're going to come back not with a full deck?

Even worse, with all the muscular atrophy.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
Would you want to come back from brain dead if you're going to come back not with a full deck?
When you're brain dead, it's essentially like resetting the clock to zero. Who you are, and what made you you is gone forever.

I don't see the advantages of this project.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
008Zulu said:
DudeistBelieve said:
When you're brain dead, it's essentially like resetting the clock to zero. Who you are, and what made you you is gone forever.

...except on a mechanical level, it's still you.

ugh... I don't even want to think about it. to anxiety producing.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
perhaps we could put all this afterlife stuff in the past so people can start living their lives fruitfully for once.
Taking away the possibility of the afterlife would have the total opposite effect you're trying to claim. You think it's bad now? People would get even more greedy and the value of others lives would be all but nonexistent.

Mar 26, 2008
Mark my words, this will never go wrong! There is no way this kind of technology can possibly backfire.

*goes off to read 'Herbert West - Reanimator'*

Xsjadoblayde said:
perhaps we could put all this afterlife stuff in the past so people can start living their lives fruitfully for once.
I fail to see how belief in a after-life stops one from living a fruitful life. Speaking from experience I don't think that's the case.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
brain dead is not dead dead, and that distinction matters when talking to gamers about reanimating the dead.
Given what the company's mission statement is according to their website, I do believe their research is indeed intended at reanimation of the "dead dead". This is but one major stepping stone to progress to that point.

"Bioquark Inc. is focused on the development of novel biologics that have the ability to alter the regulatory state of human tissues and organs, with the goal of curing a range of chronic diseases, as well as effecting complex regeneration.

The biologic regulatory states of our cells, tissues and organs represent the central control processes behind our health (as well as our unfortunate transition towards disease, degeneration and aging).

Merging 21st century knowledge of regenerative biology, evolutionary medicine, and complex systems, Bioquark?s core program focuses on developing a novel class of substances termed combinatorial biologics, which take a unique approach to reversing underlying disease, degeneration or aging processes, as opposed to only effecting the symptoms of such conditions.

Combinatorial biologics are modeled off of biochemical dynamics found in various species which can naturally modify biologic regulatory state to achieve beneficial endpoints such as complex tissue and organ regeneration, disease reversion, and even biological age reversal."
008Zulu said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Like I said above, it's a major stepping stone to reaching that sort of goal. Another major component would also be development into research on somehow storing, transferring and/or "backing up" consciousness and memories. So yes, there is indeed a point to this research.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Ender910 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Given what the company's mission statement is according to their website, I do believe their research is indeed intended at reanimation of the "dead dead". This is but one major stepping stone to progress to that point.

"Bioquark Inc. is focused on the development of novel biologics that have the ability to alter the regulatory state of human tissues and organs, with the goal of curing a range of chronic diseases, as well as effecting complex regeneration.

The biologic regulatory states of our cells, tissues and organs represent the central control processes behind our health (as well as our unfortunate transition towards disease, degeneration and aging).

Merging 21st century knowledge of regenerative biology, evolutionary medicine, and complex systems, Bioquark?s core program focuses on developing a novel class of substances termed combinatorial biologics, which take a unique approach to reversing underlying disease, degeneration or aging processes, as opposed to only effecting the symptoms of such conditions.

Combinatorial biologics are modeled off of biochemical dynamics found in various species which can naturally modify biologic regulatory state to achieve beneficial endpoints such as complex tissue and organ regeneration, disease reversion, and even biological age reversal."
008Zulu said:
DudeistBelieve said:

Like I said above, it's a major stepping stone to reaching that sort of goal. Another major component would also be development into research on somehow storing, transferring and/or "backing up" consciousness and memories. So yes, there is indeed a point to this research.
i understood all those science words. i scienced the shit outta that post. I AM THE SCIENCE!