A sad day for the escapist, as we have lost a dear friend

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
It is with a heavy heart I bring this news to everyone here. Our fellow escapist, and my dear friend, [user]Kortney[/user], passed away a few days ago.

She was the victim of a car accident; more to it of course but I will not divulge everything here.

I know not everyone here knew Kortney well, or at all even. The escapist is quite the large community, as I have come to realize. But I am sure there are some regulars out there who remember her posts. She was always an avid poster in the R&P forums, probably pissing off just as many people as she made friends with! But her attitude was always amazing, both here and in real life. She had a damn big heart, and Kortney was always an amazing friend to both myself and all she crossed paths with.

Earlier someone had pointed out how it would be terribly ironic that her last post was in a thread entitled "Regrets", wherein she said she wish she had once chance to say goodbye to so many of her friends that had drifted apart from her. Well Kortney, now I think all those friends only wish they could have said goodbye to you. I know you always said that you did not fear your own death; and I bet you greeted such an unfair end with a smile still. Your charm and your big heart are impossible for anyone to match in my books. Be at peace now though, Kortney, and know that I will never forget you.

[Mod edit: Temporarily stickied so people can pay their respects.]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Alas, I did not know Kortney, so I really don't have much to say.

But a death is a death and everyone deserves respect. I hope her life is celebrated, despite its short length.

Best wishes to those who knew her. Best wishes to her family. She will be missed.

Kayden

Feb 19, 2010
I may have not known her but it is a sad day when a person dies, I hope she finds peace in the next/afterlife

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Damn...
It was a name I saw often enough, whether it be on reports for having a differing opinion, or on the posts themselves when I wandered into a thread.
A blinding flash, and a deafening report.
I'll miss seeing her name on posts and reports. A person that can never be replaced, only in time patched over with new faces.
I'll add another memorial on my special Minecraft world for such a purpose. Least I can do for the ones that pass.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
I didn't know her but as people have pointed out a death is always sad.
I hope her memory will live on in her friends and family. My sympathies and best wishes go out to those her knew her well.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Damn...
It was a name I saw often enough, whether it be on reports for having a differing opinion, or on the posts themselves when I wandered into a thread.
A blinding flash, and a deafening report.
I'll miss seeing her name on posts and reports. A person that can never be replaced, only in time patched over with new faces.
I'll add another memorial on my special Minecraft world for such a purpose. Least I can do for the ones that pass.
She loved minecraft too actually. In fact it was the only game she and I ever were able to team up in.

Nice to hear she incited so many reports though. I loved seeing how her calm attitude still pissed off so many people.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Damn, that's depressing. She was such an interesting person to talk to. I'm gonna miss her :(

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I never knew this person and therefore cannot say something about her other than that I'm sorry for your loss, I just want to say:

Stuff like this does not fucking belong on the fucking internet. I won't say any more things out of respect, as I don't want this to turn into an argument.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Gladion said:
I never knew this person and therefore cannot say something about her other than that I'm sorry for your loss, I just want to say:

Stuff like this does not fucking belong on the fucking internet. I won't say any more things out of respect, as I don't want this to turn into an argument.
She had friends here. I felt it appropriate.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Gladion said:
If you have no respects to give, and nothing nice to say, perhaps you are in the wrong thread, friend.
She was one of us. Whether you knew her or not, she was a member here, just like you and me.
She is gone now, and at least we know why, and have a chance to give a kind word.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Depressing news is depressing. Was always good to read her posts. She will be missed.

Edit: How did you find out by the way?

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
I never knew her, but I did see her posts around from time to time.

It's terrible what's happened, and I'm sure that she'll be missed by many.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Hader said:
I know you always said that you did not fear your own death; and I know you greeted such an unfair end with a smile still. Your charm and your big heart are impossible for anyone to match in my books. Be at peace now though, Kortney, and know that I will never forget you. And maybe one day we will meet again, and if we do I will still take you out to dinner, as I had promised.
I do not know her, but reading this part, aside from making me cry, has shown that she was known and was important to some people.

I'm very sorry for her loss and the people she knew. She sounds like a great person.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Gladion said:

It's kinda sad to see someone pointlessly swearing on a thread like this, the internet is medium of all kinds of human interaction and I see no reason not to post about someones passing.

OT: I recognise the name, although I can't remember anything about her, regardless this is pretty sad, thanks OP for reporting this.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Hader said:
I know you always said that you did not fear your own death; and I know you greeted such an unfair end with a smile still. Your charm and your big heart are impossible for anyone to match in my books. Be at peace now though, Kortney, and know that I will never forget you. And maybe one day we will meet again, and if we do I will still take you out to dinner, as I had promised.
I do not know her, but reading this part, aside from making me cry, has shown that she was known and was important to some people.

I'm very sorry for her loss and the people she knew. She sounds like a great person.
Yeah, she is a great person. One of the best I ever met. :(

Xhu

Nov 15, 2009
My condolences to the OP and the rest of her friends. I only spoke to Kourtney occasionally, but her responses were generally interesting and well-thought-out. She'll be missed here.

That said, may I suggest a separate thread be created in [or even this one moved to] the R&P forum? I know it is unorthodox, but many of the users active there don't check Off Topic and will therefore miss this, something I can guarantee a large proportion of them wouldn't want to do.