A shout-out to Metal Gear Solid V Enthusiasts (Lot of Spoilers, I guess)

Syilph

Mar 9, 2012
As some, or probably most of you have already noticed, there are a ton of MGS V Post in the Escapist, but I still wanted to make myself be heard.

I would just like to discuss two small subjects, with the first one being a matter of personal interest.
With the release of Metal Gear Online coming closer and closer, I'd want to have as much time and opportunity as possible to train myself for it and the best way to do that is with other players, presumably you. If anyone is interested in starting up a group of Online Trainees together who would engage in several FOB invasions, mockbattles or simple PVP situations I'd be happy to get in touch and prepare for the upcoming MGO together.
For any interested gamers who own a copy for the ps4, here's my ID for further contact:

psn account: Noxworth

Just give me a holler if I piqued your interest.

As for the second subject, I have to initially admit that I'm loving Metal Gear so far.
Having played through it recently I was kinda set off, if not disappointed by the great twist at the end but in some way also impressed. Kojima did try his best to project the players character onto Big Boss, going even as far to give us a empty character with his appearance, who would act as our very own version of Naked Snake.
I would like to know how you felt about this fact, about the way MGS V ended as it did, if you'd be willing to, but the subject I originally wanted to discuss was...

Quiet.
I get why she needs to be half naked. Photosynthesis and all that, I'm getting it.
I understand why she does not speak, wanting to protect Big Boss, or you, from getting infected with the english strain of the vocal chord parasites. But, the thing is, one little fact always bugged me.

Why, for the love of god, couldn't she write stuff down?
What physical, mental or emotional barrier was there that stopped her from grabbing a pen and paper and just write down the situation? It wouldn't have hurt nobody. Snake would have understood as well, he wouldn't throw her out just because she was protecting him, so why?
What kind of reason hindered her to use the art of written words?

Anyway, so much for my opinions, what are yours?
Feel free to write down whatever you find fitting down below, I'd be happy to read and discuss as soon as I can. Until then, thank you for bearing with my words so far, they're all I can give for now.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Syilph said:
Why, for the love of god, couldn't she write stuff down?
What physical, mental or emotional barrier was there that stopped her from grabbing a pen and paper and just write down the situation? It wouldn't have hurt nobody. Snake would have understood as well, he wouldn't throw her out just because she was protecting him, so why?
What kind of reason hindered her to use the art of written words?
I started to wonder this one as soon as I realised that she was infected plus not an antagonist. If she had some kind of hidden ulterior motive then I'd have understood why she was so reluctant to speak. But as it turned out she was actually one of the good characters, it seemed a little odd that she'd not try and communicate at all.

She could have even spoken to Code Talker in their shared language and have him translate for her.

I enjoyed the game a lot, but there are a lot of things like this in there, that seemed to either not really be considered, or not deemed worthy of making more sense.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
considering her alternate costumes are clothes and full head to toe gold and silver body paint puts a large hole in the needing to breath through her skin thing so id ignore other truck sized plot holes

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
It's a plot hole, and a pretty big one considering she attacks one person for being infected on Mother Base and makes no further effort to stop the parasite from killing a anywhere from a few to half your base depending on how long you screw around before rescuing Code Talker midway through the game. So one of the games dramatic scenes and driving motivators for going after Code talker and eventually skullface happens because Quiet is basically a colossal moron.

I'll reiterate what I said in another thread, it's a good game, even a great game, but not exactly a good Metal gear game. I am also excited for MGO, it looks fun.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
It isn't a plothole. She explicitly said (through Code Talker) that she refuses to communicate because she still wants to kill Venom Snake. She could find a way to communicate that doesn't involve speaking, but she doesn't want to.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
It isn't a plothole. She explicitly said (through Code Talker) that she refuses to communicate because she still wants to kill Venom Snake. She could find a way to communicate that doesn't involve speaking, but she doesn't want to.
At first perhaps, but Side Op 150 makes it quite clear that by the end she doesn't want to kill him any more.