A special game from your childhood that no one else seems to have played

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The title is self-explanatory, my fellow forum-goers; what is a game you fondly remember from your childhood that seemingly no one else has played? You can describe a specific memory or just the game itself!

For me, it's the game G-Darius, a game in the Darius series of space shooters by Taito. To most I suppose it would seem like your typical generic space shooter. But for me it was such a fun experience that I could share with another person as we uh...saved the world from um...why exactly were we fighting again?
Well, story was certainly not this game's strong point.

However, a lot of the bosses were very memorable for me, and the ability to "capture" your enemies and utilize their abilities against other enemies and bosses alike could keep the levels fresh as you figured out which enemy was best to have against others.

So how about you guys? Any games you can think of that fit the bill?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Outpost 2, man. Hard SF survival RTS. It was pretty bad in some ways, but the writing and worldbuilding were actually very good.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Xena: Warrior Princess for PS1. Loved the game despite its flaws. Could have used more Gabrielle and Lucy Lawless, though.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Pajama Sam 3.

The first PC game I ever played.

That game had some really nice looking environments, catchy music and was set on an island where every one and everything is food. It's set during a war between the sweets/sugars and healthy foods, complete with political parties and diplomacy.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Mine is Mischief Makers 64. The game looks pretty crappy on the box but it was filled with awesome challenges and boss fights, including different game play stle than usual.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Jumping Flash! And people say it's impossible to make a good first person platformer when that was released in the 90's and does it perfectly.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Mighty Max for the SNES.

Probably the first game that's difficulty forced me to quit before passing the first level.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Army Men: Air Attack.

WEEEE'RREEE FREEEEEE [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VftqSnsfhKQ&t=0m17s]
What an awful, awful game. But co-op with another ten year old makes everything better.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm a broken record when it comes to this question, but Crystalis.

That game is my early childhood.

How to get to the 8th dungeon in Zelda? Got me.
How to beat Contra? Fuck if I know.

But I can sure as hell tell you in bizarrely accurate detail where to find the Power Ring in the Oasis Cave south of Goa.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I assume no one else had played this SNES game since no one can't figure out what it was called including me.

What I remember is that I'm pretty sure it was made in Japan cos the intro scene had an anime sprite style which star the pliot and this mystic magical woman which I think she was colour green in some way.

It was top down type of shooter which you control a spaceship (sort of like R-Type) which there are several weapons pick up to choose from (one of them several green jellybean follow you arrow and shoot at the same time as you).

The first level was above the forest and I remember one of the later level was in outer base which the boss was a base but when you zoon out of it, it's actually an face.

The game over screen was the two characters in Chibi style as they set up an fire and camp for the night as their ship had crash down burning.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Gadget. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadget:_Invention,_Travel,_%26_Adventure]

I have spent my entire life with an obsession for the 1930's because of this game. It's only a little younger than I am, and the version I played had many cutscenes in black and white.

Dun... DUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNU! Dun... DUNNUNNUNUNUNUNUNUUNUNUUNUN!

Dun... DAHNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNNUNUN. Dun... DAHUNUNNUNUNUNUNUNUNNUNUNUN....

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
I still play it when I have some time to kill. I think the game is considered to be a classic, so I'm sure there's other folks who like the game, but I've never met anyone who's played it (besides my dad who showed me the game).

I used to play it two player with a friend, so I do know one other person who's played it, but other than him, I don't know anyone who seems to have even heard about it. Again, I'm sure these people exist (based on the youtube comments under the video, for example), I just haven't met one.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Alundra, it was fucking magnificent, dark and emotional storyline (seriously) fun as heck and hard and challenging puzzles (sometimes too hard) and tough bosses (some are pushovers though)
I remember hearing humorous stories from UGPM back in the day that the game's puzzles were SO difficult the editors actually took the disc and ran it over with a vehicle.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Rocket Knight Adventures

You're a possum knight with a jetpack and a sword that shoots other swords fighting against an evil steampunk pig empire to save a magical princess. Also there are dinosaurs and a pig themed deathstar.

Genius.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
piinyouri said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Alundra, it was fucking magnificent, dark and emotional storyline (seriously) fun as heck and hard and challenging puzzles (sometimes too hard) and tough bosses (some are pushovers though)
I remember hearing humorous stories from UGPM back in the day that the game's puzzles were SO difficult the editors actually took the disc and ran it over with a vehicle.
WHA?! hey ran over a godly game like that because it was too hard?! The game is insanely difficult at times, yes but to run over it with a vehicle...blasphemy!
Ah, it was UGPM, these crazy fools said silly shit that wasn't true all the time.
Thinking back on it, they sort of seemed like the Primus equivalent in game mags.