A Talk With Zombie Queen Shana Festa

Devan Sagliani

Apr 21, 2014
A Talk With Zombie Queen Shana Festa

I first met Shana Festa as a book reviewer with an amazing niche blog The Bookie Monster that dealt with horror and zompoc fiction. Which is why it came as no surprise when she announced her debut zombie novel series: Time of Death.

Read Full Article

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
I've read the Time of Death books and heartily recommend them. They're kind of the Dresden Files or Sookie Stackhouse books of zombie apocalypses. Also, the military DOESN'T immediately degenerate into evil rapist cannibals along with everyone else other than our heroes.

Which just SHOCKED me.

:)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Shana also harbors an unlikely secret - a deep and abiding love for all things zombie related!"

It's unusual to like zombies? Huh.

Oh, and the heroine is "snarky" and a klutz...and that's supposed to be original? Now, for all I know the books are very good, but that's now how you describe an original sounding character.

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Oh, and the heroine is "snarky" and a klutz...and that's supposed to be original? Now, for all I know the books are very good, but that's now how you describe an original sounding character.
Eh, there's nothing original under the sun but I don't think she's very klutzy personally. What struck me original about TOD is only in context of the zombie apocalypse subgenre.

* People hang together rather than hang separately.
* The military doesn't turn evil.
* There's plenty of humor.
* The survivors do their best to help each other rather than degenerate into roving bands of predators.
* The majority of survivors you meet are decent people, if scared.

It's probably the most optimistic zombie apocalypse ever, at least in terms of how people will behave.