A terrible plague upon the Escapist... (Please set an avatar)

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
FelixG said:
Shadowstar38 said:
The fact that everyone has Lack's is far more annoying. I already hated his to begin with. Follow your advice and get your own shit
If I recall its showing people not in the pub club that avatar for some reason instead of what the person has their avatar set to, JoJo for instance claims his avatar is actually from bioshock but others are seeing it as Lack's

So I think someone at the escapist fucked something up in their database and now its messing with the avatars.
Don't believe everything you hear people say, cause I'm in the pub club and I also see people having Lack's avatar.

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
I think I'm gonna make a dozen variations of the default avatars and cycle them just for the sake of it.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Originally I was going to be fussy and say I didn't want to because I prefer my lack of a statement as a statement. Then I realized what you were talking about with the generic picture then decided if I needed to put the effort into changing my avatar, might as well have it be something I like. So here you go, Seventh Doctor. Best Doctor.
Your appeal worked for at least one person.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
The fact that everyone has Lack's is far more annoying. I already hated his to begin with. Follow your advice and get your own shit
Pretty much this. Everyone having the same avatar? Mildly annoying, harder to tell at a glance who it is. Everyone using someone elses Avatar? Just as bad, plus now I think it's someone else for a moment. They're actually annoying enough I'm going to find a way to block them.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
It doesn't really bother me that much. In fact, if one were bored enough, they could edit it to add some face, and all the would need is MS paint and 5 minutes:

Ta da!
And just like that he has a mustache and goatee... and eyes.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Aeshi said:
Is it really that hard to just read the names?
It depends how long a thread you're reading. Past a page, reading the names becomes a hassle, compared to a glance at an image, who's colour in your peripherals can usually tell you who it is anyway.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I can see where you're coming from but to me, it's not that big of a deal. I'm more interested in the point the poster is trying to make, regardless of who makes it (be it an Escapist vet or noob).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Just changed mine to something a bit more Christmas-related, although it's still Community-related still =D

Hopefully, it updates quicker than usual

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I think everyone should join the Enclave.

(No, I'm not trying to take over!)

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I also vote for GrumpyCat as default avatar.

Also this thread has reminded me to Christmasize my avatar. TO PHOTOSHOP!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
JoJo said:
1) Gives other people something often more memorable than a username

2) Shows a little snapshot of your personality, or something you like

3) Takes literally a minute to set
4) You earn a Badge when you set an Avatar

I noticed too that pretty many have that blank face.
I thought there was some movement going on either Brovengers or the InJustice guys for that when I saw five people with the same avatar but they hadn't just set it themselves, easier for the Escapist like this?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Oh!!!
I see where this thread where is going. I like that!!!
Maybe I will do something similar just for the lol.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I like not having an avatar because I like not being remembered. If people start to recognize me and remember things about me, I feel like my ability to have an honest conversation with them is threatened.

I know this sounds really creepy and antisocial, but it's actually more like a long experiment I'm running. I'm open with my personality on other sites, and people treat me very differently there. Sometimes I just want to be another blank face in the crowd.

(Although if not having an avatar becomes very rare, I'll definitely use Grumpy Cat.)