A Thief Delayed: Uncharted 4 Will Launch In 2016

Fanghawk

New member
Feb 17, 2011
3,861
0
0
A Thief Delayed: Uncharted 4 Will Launch In 2016

Naughty Dog has delayed Uncharted 4: A Thief's End's launch until Spring 2016 because the game was more ambitious than anticipated.

Are you an Uncharted fan looking forward to the climactic <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129665-Uncharted-Coming-to-PS4>Uncharted 4: A Thief's End? And were you getting very excited since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135198-Updated-Uncharted-4-A-Thiefs-End-Announced-For-2015>it was due to launch in 2015? Well, we have some bad news: You'll have to wait a little bit longer. In a post on the official PlayStation blog, Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann announced that Uncharted 4's release date has been pushed back to Spring 2016.

"Since we showed you our first gameplay reveal of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, more of the game and story have come together, and it's become clear to us that this game is much more ambitious than we originally envisioned," Druckmann wrote. "After spending so many years with Nathan Drake, he means a lot to the team ... this game deserves every bit of the attention to detail, precise pacing, and nuanced storytelling Naughty Dog is known for. So we've made the difficult choice of pushing the game's release date.

"Giving us a few extra months will make certain that Uncharted 4: A Thief's End not only meets the team's high standards, but the high standards that gamers have come to expect from a Naughty Dog title."

Anyone hoping to take Nathan Drake on one more adventure may be feeling a little frustrated, but this is probably for the best. Remember: Uncharted 3 faced its own set of difficulties that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113941-Uncharted-3-Required-Brutal-Working-Hours>Naughty Dog worked the heaviest overtime crunch in its history to overcome. If this truly is the climactic Uncharted chapter, it's preferable that Naughty Dog take the extra time to get it right. The fans will still be there in 2016, after all.

Uncharted 4 explores a new side of of Nathan's history <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139340-Uncharted-4-Will-Have-Multiplayer-And-AI-Companion>through his long-lost brother - Sam Drake - and will feature open environments and new treasure hunting mechanics. It will launch as a PlayStation 4 exclusive in 2016.

Source: PlayStation

Permalink
 

Liquidprid3

New member
Jan 24, 2014
237
0
0
The year of delays: 2014- forever.

Developers, please make reasonable release dates and give yourself time instead of getting us all worked up and excited and then delay. Schedule things properly. I will always forgive indie develers for delaying their games, but it happens so often in the AAA that it's unacceptable at this point. Imagine of half of all big budget movies got delayed?
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Good. Now if I can just force people to only announce upcoming games when they're actually upcoming then the world will finally be a good place to be again.
 

Baresark

New member
Dec 19, 2010
3,908
0
0
I find it laughable that they actually thought it was going to be out this year. They don't do that. They have to push a game back everyone is anticipated at least 3 times. My vote it easily at least 2017 before actual launch, but also at least two more announcements of pushing it back. This is why I don't bother with AAA first party titles... were we not hearing about this since before the PS4 came out? I thought as much.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
Hm...that's too bad I suppose, but at least the release date wasn't right around the corner. Those are the delays that really bother me.
 

ddrkreature

New member
Jun 24, 2013
50
0
0
Given Naughty Dog's track record, I'm not upset at all. They know what they're doing and every game is always top notch when they hit shelves (opinion of course).
 

Def25

New member
Feb 24, 2015
27
0
0
I expected that. Once again ps4 dosent have a killer exlusive. Well unless you care about dark souls in which case bloodborne is there.
 

NuclearKangaroo

New member
Feb 7, 2014
1,919
0
0
oh boy...

i say that truthly sucks, the PS4 seriously needs some games right now, hopefully bloodborne will deliver
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,445
1,644
118
I'd rather they delay the all mighty shit out of it, rather than push it out the door as quickly as they can Ubi-style.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
I'd rather they delay the all mighty shit out of it, rather than push it out the door as quickly as they can Ubi-style.
You mean you don't want it to pull a "The Order" and deliver a half-finished game that they polished as best they could to make it "look" like a full game that clearly isn't?
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,445
1,644
118
Lightknight said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'd rather they delay the all mighty shit out of it, rather than push it out the door as quickly as they can Ubi-style.
You mean you don't want it to pull a "The Order" and deliver a half-finished game that they polished as best they could to make it "look" like a full game that clearly isn't?
With The Order I'd say it actually suffered because of the delay, since that was obviously supposed to be a launch game. Is in a game whose only purpose is to show off the new console's graphical prowess. The problem there being that it got released far beyond the launch window.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
Lightknight said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'd rather they delay the all mighty shit out of it, rather than push it out the door as quickly as they can Ubi-style.
You mean you don't want it to pull a "The Order" and deliver a half-finished game that they polished as best they could to make it "look" like a full game that clearly isn't?
With The Order I'd say it actually suffered because of the delay, since that was obviously supposed to be a launch game. Is in a game whose only purpose is to show off the new console's graphical prowess. The problem there being that it got released far beyond the launch window.
Hmm, would it have felt like a full game at launch?

No, I don't think so. Do you? Not to spoil the game too heavily but the big boss was neither big nor a boss and virtually none of the plot was resolved. It was like that $20 MGS demo game.
 

NuclearKangaroo

New member
Feb 7, 2014
1,919
0
0
Toadfish1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
oh boy...

i say that truthly sucks, the PS4 seriously needs some games right now,
The sales numbers would disagree with you.
i dont play with sale numbers boyo, personally i think the only console with worthwhile games at the moment is the WiiU
 

Toadfish1

New member
May 28, 2013
204
0
0
NuclearKangaroo said:
Toadfish1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
oh boy...

i say that truthly sucks, the PS4 seriously needs some games right now,
The sales numbers would disagree with you.
i dont play with sale numbers boyo, personally i think the only console with worthwhile games at the moment is the WiiU
Third parties would disagree with you.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,445
1,644
118
Lightknight said:
Hmm, would it have felt like a full game at launch?

No, I don't think so. Do you? Not to spoil the game too heavily but the big boss was neither big nor a boss and virtually none of the plot was resolved. It was like that $20 MGS demo game.
No, but that doesn't really matter for a launch game. If it came out during the PS4's launch it would've been a nice 'Check how awesome the actual good games are gonna look on this console in a year or two' type game. Not that that's a proper excuse, but I feel it would've dulled the disappointment a heck of a lot if it hadn't come out in the console's second year.
 

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
3,257
0
0
I hate to be an asshole, but I say they delayed it because they're fearful of Rise of the Tomb Raider. Seriously, you do not go up against the rip-off game that did your game better last time round, you wait until all the reviews have stopped gushing over it and tepidly release your game, preferably before said opposing game comes to the PlayStation 4.
 

Hairless Mammoth

New member
Jan 23, 2013
1,595
0
0
Excellent, this gives me a year to get past the first hour of Uncharted 3 (a copy of which I've had for the past 3 years). I like the crazy rock climbing/Le Parkour and puzzle aspects of Uncharted, but the excessive amounts of pure third person shoot outs of the past two games (along with the industry's flood of generic shooters) made me lose interest a little in U3. I'm still hopeful the rest of U3 and U4 tone down the amount of firefights. They just break the pacing when they drag out for longer than a few minutes.
Liquidprid3 said:
The year of delays: 2014- forever.

Developers, please make reasonable release dates and give yourself time instead of getting us all worked up and excited and then delay. Schedule things properly. I will always forgive indie develers for delaying their games, but it happens so often in the AAA that it's unacceptable at this point. Imagine of half of all big budget movies got delayed?
It is the publishers that are usually at fault and make devs agree to near impossible time frames for a project, or a serious setback happens and the publisher does not give them extra time to compensate. Many publishers want a game in stores, NOW, even if serious bugs remain and content has to be cut. (Sometimes, it really is an over-competent dev team agreeing to something they can't pull off, though.)

It's their hype machine, comrade. The publishers have created an engine of pure publicity, that fills the hearts of the weak with desires for something that cannot possibly be made in the time and fills the hearts of overworked developers with dread that they will spend entire nights in the office, without overtime pay, and will be laid off months earlier than anticipated. The executives do not wish to break the hype by pushing things back, especially if the game is set to come out during the holiday shopping season.

At least a highly regarded studio like Naughty Dog might have enough clout to delay their game themselves. Miyamoto realized, after cutting content for Wind Waker, that a delayed, but good, game is better than an on time, but poor, game. Every time I play WW, I notice it does suffer some pacing and length from losing two dungeons to be out in time for the holiday season. Now, Nintendo doesn't give definite dates until they are 95% sure the game won't be delayed and keeps quiet about most projects until they're at least half finished. Other AAA publishers just can't grasp that concept.
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
I'm okay with this. I would rather the game be as close to perfect as possible, than incomplete and full of bugs and glitches.
 

NuclearKangaroo

New member
Feb 7, 2014
1,919
0
0
Toadfish1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Toadfish1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
oh boy...

i say that truthly sucks, the PS4 seriously needs some games right now,
The sales numbers would disagree with you.
i dont play with sale numbers boyo, personally i think the only console with worthwhile games at the moment is the WiiU
Third parties would disagree with you.
i have a PC for the third parties

if you are going to play in just one platform, i could see why youd pick a PS4 over a WiiU