A thread for the R. Kelly trial

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes he is probably a once in a life time talent
Are you sure about that? This guy’s talent warrants merit in the same exalted company as Freddie Mercury or Bruce Dickinson or Nana Mouskouri or Luciano Pavarotti? Are we fucking certain about that?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The only thing that is good about this is that is challenges the Halo effect that is strong within the average person. Yes he is probably a once in a life time talent and yes he is also a huge piece a shit at the same time. Those two things can exist together.
On the contrary, the list of talented but terrible people I know of is long enough that I'm convinced the odds of "With great talent comes great dickery" is like 50%.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
On the contrary, the list of talented but terrible people I know of is long enough that I'm convinced the odds of "With great talent comes great dickery" is like 50%.
Talented people may often be cocky, because they are "better" (at certain things) than other people. Fame and success are also of course forms of power, and with power comes ability to exploit and abuse. Many of them are ambitious, and this can come with a mindset to get ahead, kicking people out of the way where necessary. Finally, for some at least, if success comes as a major change to their life, it can be something they are unprepared for and do not know how to cope with, destabilising them and leading to unpleasant and often self-destructive behaviour.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Are you sure about that? This guy’s talent warrants merit in the same exalted company as Freddie Mercury or Bruce Dickinson or Nana Mouskouri or Luciano Pavarotti? Are we fucking certain about that?
For the RnB genre through the 90s and 2000s with his music and production and songs he has written on his resume I would say yes. But if you are not into the genre it can be missed like I only knew two people out of the 4 you mentioned but I will take your word for it that they are exalted talents.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
For the RnB genre through the 90s and 2000s with his music and production and songs he has written on his resume I would say yes. But if you are not into the genre it can be missed like I only knew two people out of the 4 you mentioned but I will take your word for it that they are exalted talents.
Here's the problem I have with '90s R&B (and most R&B today and most popular music period: ) because someone can sing, and the songs they sing are generally regarded as "good," very little of it stood out as unique, like, AT ALL. Everyone was singing the same song to or about their "baby" or "making love," and the shit was so overwhelmingly generic across the board, NONE of it stands out to me. Do I recall many of the songs? Yeah, when I hear them, I can say I heard them before, but formative to my youth or the industry? The former, absolutely not. The latter? Unfortunately yes, because it was so lazily copy-pasted, valuing fame over actual talent, it's its own genre: Pop(ular) music. It's entertainment; it's not anything you couldn't find during karaoke night at a dive bar. Is R. Kelly a "once in a lifetime talent?" No, he's a dime a dozen.

OT, hope he goes to prison and gets peed on.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So what you're saying is: You're pissed off and you hope he gets pissed on?
Pretty much. Having never been to prison, not sure if the rumors are true, but "honor amongst thieves" n'all, I hear inmates in for their various, run-of-the-mill crimes like murder and robbery collectively don't take kindly to kiddie-diddlers, and I'm sure there's some clout to be had "having one's way" with an iconic R&B criminal who fancies peeing on underaged girls...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
R. Kelly’s Defense Presents Closing Arguments Comparing Him to Martin Luther King Jr., Hugh Hefner and Mike Pence

That defense lawyer can get multiple knee bashes to the face for all I'm concerned. That is got to be one of the dumbest closing arguments I've ever heard. What the hell is even trying to prove? I should cut out his tongue for that statement alone.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
R. Kelly’s Defense Presents Closing Arguments Comparing Him to Martin Luther King Jr., Hugh Hefner and Mike Pence

Oh my god, that little blurb for the article is amazing.

"R. Kelly, now on tour. Coming to a courthouse near you!"

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Here's the problem I have with '90s R&B (and most R&B today and most popular music period: ) because someone can sing, and the songs they sing are generally regarded as "good," very little of it stood out as unique, like, AT ALL.
I think a substantial part of this is that when someone makes it big, what you get are a mass of copycats - the industry either selects artists very similar or manufactures them. In the end, everything blurs into a mass. In the end, it will all blur into a big mass of similar stuff. There are normally some stand-out artists a cut above who still manage to sound distinctive, but...

One thing that's inevitably funny is listening to an interview with an artist who is painfully obviously ripping off the sound of a major artist, and then conspicuously omitting that major artist when they're asked who their inspirations are.

Pretty much. Having never been to prison, not sure if the rumors are true, but "honor amongst thieves" n'all, I hear inmates in for their various, run-of-the-mill crimes like murder and robbery collectively don't take kindly to kiddie-diddlers, and I'm sure there's some clout to be had "having one's way" with an iconic R&B criminal who fancies peeing on underaged girls...
What you'll also get are cons who see someone famous and (presumably still relatively) rich who will protect him because they'll expect something in return.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Never cared for him or his works.
Lucky you unfortunately Mr. Kells is associated with numerous nostalgic moments of my life from backseat car rides, school time dances and singing and lots and lots of family bbqs especially being from his home city. Consider yourself lucky.

I need a really really hard drink after reading that. That literally played out like the Boondocks episode and it was played straight. And someoone out there probably thinks the same way. They must be hunted down.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Okay, the first one is an absolute insult to a truly great man, and the other two are not exactly what I'd consider to be compliments.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I think a substantial part of this is that when someone makes it big, what you get are a mass of copycats - the industry either selects artists very similar or manufactures them. In the end, everything blurs into a mass. In the end, it will all blur into a big mass of similar stuff. There are normally some stand-out artists a cut above who still manage to sound distinctive, but...

One thing that's inevitably funny is listening to an interview with an artist who is painfully obviously ripping off the sound of a major artist, and then conspicuously omitting that major artist when they're asked who their inspirations are.

What you'll also get are cons who see someone famous and (presumably still relatively) rich who will protect him because they'll expect something in return.
Bill Cosby reportedly got along great with his fellow inmates because of how famous he was.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Lucky you unfortunately Mr. Kells is associated with numerous nostalgic moments of my life from backseat car rides, school time dances and singing and lots and lots of family bbqs especially being from his home city. Consider yourself lucky.

I need a really really hard drink after reading that. That literally played out like the Boondocks episode and it was played straight. And someoone out there probably thinks the same way. They must be hunted down.
I grew up with I believe I can fly, but only because of Space Jam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
That defense lawyer can get multiple knee bashes to the face for all I'm concerned. That is got to be one of the dumbest closing arguments I've ever heard. What the hell is even trying to prove?
It seems like he's trying to appeal emotionally to the jury by playing "strong", which sadly is something that works on a lot of people.

He probably knows he's kind of fucked, it's just a desperate attempt.