Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You may hate or dislike or not care about the writers for one of the following

Likely making more money than you
Producing stuff you don't like
Being on the coasts instead of the heartland
Not being you

But eventually, if they lose, big business will come for all of us to replace us with AI. So you better hope they win.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
You may hate or dislike or not care about the writers for one of the following

Likely making more money than you
Producing stuff you don't like
Being on the coasts instead of the heartland
Not being you

But eventually, if they lose, big business will come for all of us to replace us with AI. So you better hope they win.
Color-coded the message for easy readability.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

@4:51 for those who want a clearer idea of just how much Hollywood writers make.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The fucking elitist self-centered cowards.
Not quite.

The DGA was basically always going to get their demands (there’s not really a way to replace directors at this point) but they set some precedent and now the SGA and WGA can demand some of the same things with minimal pushback.

Take the “AI does not count as a person” thing for example. Now that it’s in the DGA contract, the studios can’t in good faith deny that clause in WGA or SGA contracts and it makes their position on refusing any AI restrictions much weaker.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Of course, in the UK, this would mean that strike action was not legitimate, because the Tories passed a law that stated the turnout on a strike ballot must be at least 50% so the public could be protected from "undemocratic" strike action.

One might note that they have not passed a similar turnout requirement on the election of MPs and local councillors. :unsure:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Netflix has been heavily investing in cheaper Korean media, partially to prevent this sort of strike
And that's also why I'm close to ending my Netflix subscription.

Sure, they occasionally hit "Squid Game" paydirt, but mostly I think it's the shotgun technique of chucking a few hundred shows on the service and lucking out that one or two of them isn't complete junk. There's so much overwhelming quantities of crap on Netflix now (think true crime docs, mediocre films) it almost exhausts me just looking through to find something worth watching.