A View From the Road: FarmVille Isn't Going Away

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

You may not like FarmVille, Facebook, or Twitter, but guess what? They're here to stay.

Read Full Article

Windexglow

Apr 30, 2009
Oh geeze. I thought this was talking about FarmVille in the book/movie "The Road". Confused the hell out of me..

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Google was dethroned?!

When did this happen?!

OT: They're here to stay.

But what shocks me is how the iPhone was developed into a great gaming platform.

Social tools like phones, Facebook, Twitter, and gaming CAN mix.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Damn it I'm too tempted to say it."This isn't news. God, I hate Facebook. FarmVille sucks, it isn't even a game. Why are you writing about this?" That just had to be said, any ways what made zaguna popular over other facebook apps seems to be effective marketing and luck. The only thing you can learn from them is that the more people you bring in to play, the better you do, thats what makes it spread like wild fire.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kristina Frazier-Henry said:
So social games are here to stay. Um yes, I agree. Is the point of this article just to hear yourself talk?
Are you not familiar with the idea of an editorial arguing a point...?

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
John Funk said:

You may not like FarmVille, Facebook, or Twitter, but guess what? They're here to stay.

Read Full Article
Man, Twitter sucks so hard, I can't imagine a single good use for it, and don't understand why someone would want to spend any time on it at all. It's just so... useless.

*wry smile*

-m

Apr 28, 2008
Fine. I'll accept that its here to stay.

But I won't like it, nothing on Earth will make me like it.
Plus, its always fun running into someone who plays Farmville, and looks down on my gaming, saying I should "actually do something."

My retort: "Like how you could be doing something while you plant fake crops?"

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Facebook, like myspace before it, is a fad and will die out just like all other fads. Eventually the current crop of users will grow up a bit and realize nobody cares they took a poo at 9:13 am, and it contained corn.

Saying Farmville is the wave of the future is like someone in 1985 saying breakdancing was the future. Yes it looks that way NOW but give it a couple of years.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
So social games are here to stay. Um yes, I agree. Is the point of this article just to hear yourself talk?
Wow did you make this post just to hear yourself talk?

OT: Finally someone who looks at this from a rational point of view. MM was a pain in the ass, not because Zynga was in it, but rather because people would complain endlessly over it. It got to be rather irritating to be honest. Thank you for a well written argument and an enjoyable read

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
drisky said:
Damn it I'm too tempted to say it."This isn't news. God, I hate Facebook. FarmVille sucks, it isn't even a game. Why are you writing about this?" That just had to be said, any ways what made zaguna popular over other facebook apps seems to be effective marketing and luck. The only thing you can learn from them is that the more people you bring in to play, the better you do, thats what makes it spread like wild fire.
You forgot to crow 'LALALALALAL, I CAN"T HEAR YOU.'

And yes, the reason Farmville is succesful is the same reason people are still sending chain letters/e-mails. If one person gets ten people to play, who get nine people to play, who get nine people to play(not ten because the previous guy is always one of them), then soon enough you've got hundreds of thousands of people playing and trying to get the couple thousand people who resisted to join in.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I really have nothing to do with the social gaming side of the interwebs. And I like that.

Leave them be, and we can carry on.

Nice subtle article about how we should shut up about March Mayhem already, by the way.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
John Funk said:

Read Full Article
Man, Twitter sucks so hard, I can't imagine a single good use for it, and don't understand why someone would want to spend any time on it at all. It's just so... useless.

*wry smile*

-m
Joking aside, I really don't get the artificial 140 characters limit per post in twitter. It's really like "you have to be shallow about it" as someone remarked on the IRC the first time I noted this.

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
I actually have the opposite problem. I'm good about Facebook, but I can never remember to log into Twitter. I know there are apps that will allow you to update both, I just need to set aside time to set them up.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Galad said:
Matt_LRR said:
John Funk said:

Read Full Article

*wry smile*

-m
Joking aside, I really don't get the artificial 140 characters limit per post in twitter. It's really like "you have to be shallow about it" as someone remarked on the IRC the first time I noted this.
140 characters is the upper limit of a single text message sent from a dumb-phone. Since the service came into being just before wifi and 3g enabled smart-phones really became ubiquitous, the service was built around the ability to use it entirely on the go, from your phone, requiring the 140 character limit.

They've just kept with it. In most cases, anything you want to say can be said in 140 characters (and you can always use a second tweet). Sometimes you just have to get creative with how you word what you want to say. The service has constraints, those constraints don't nnecessitate shallowness.

-m

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Huh. Very well said. Especially the last bits with the LA LA LA, it just makes people look ignorant.

Camembert

Oct 21, 2009
Oh my God. Why are you here?

If you just created an account to make comments like that, you should probably un-create it, quick.

Jun 11, 2008
Look I have said this before and I will say it again there are no massive barriers to gaming. There are plenty of easy introductory games out there like Crash that are perfect to help new gamers along. The problem is not high entry the problem is people being lazy that is why things like Farmville work. There is little to no effort required on the users part.

It is like learning an instrument if you want to get into you will stick at it. If you are going to be one of those twats who is in it to be cool you will lose interest and drop it. That is the problem with this apparent gaming barrier people are lazy nowdays simple as that.

Nov 5, 2007
"Yes, we know that Zynga has done some shady things, but this isn't about its ethical practices (or lack thereof) - they don't even enter into the picture here."

Yes but wouldn't it be great if someone would have done what they did for gaming without being shady and openly exploitive of their audience. I'm all for Facebook and social gaming, my issue is solely with Zynga.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Saying Farmville is the wave of the future is like someone in 1985 saying breakdancing was the future. Yes it looks that way NOW but give it a couple of years.
Or like someone in the 50's saying that Rock and Roll was a fad.

My point being: We don't know. Dismissing it outright makes you sound like an old man telling those damn kids to get offa mah lawn.
Regardless of its future importance, the Farmville/social network phenomenon can teach us a lot NOW.

I don't like facebook anymore than you, but I would be an idiot to pretend it isn't something huge right now, or that it reaches a huge untapped demographic.