A View From The Road: Poke-walking Through PAX

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From The Road: Poke-walking Through PAX

The Pokewalker may be Nintendo?s most ingenious peripheral yet.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
hehe, I supppose great thing about conventions is you will meet like minded people.

I just love how "Pokewalker" became a term for "Lets Connect!"

Good times

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Never a day has passed since getting HeartGold when I didn't strap on my pokewalker before heading out to work. So far I've only encountered one other person with it. Guess what he had? A Goldeen. Of all the pokemon, I ran into a guy who carried around a Goldeen. Figures.

Still, it was great meeting someone else with one. Someimes I think I'm the only one in this city who cares about it.

ThatOneJewYouNo

Sep 22, 2009
The Pokéwalker is slowly becoming their ingenious design to let the world know that Nintendo truly does own us, I swear.

But all real-world-threat talk alike, those little buggers are indeed like a membership badge.
The even more ingenious aspect to it is that how little experience you get while walking, so you have the urge to keep it with you every second of your day (which only makes me wish I had it back when I was in high school taking gym).

Tangent: Also, your ideal team totally depends on your tier. UU is definitely Rain Dance teams, they dominate with Kabutops, OU is standard beat down, and Ubers is basically putting the Never Used tier in with a bunch of legendaries. Take your pick, Funk. =P

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
PAX was actually where I learned about this feature of the Pokewalker, and I had pretty much the exact same experience.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
This is a well known psychological phenomenon. Having even a small facet in common with another person will foster a community. The fact that you're at the center of a gaming convention just increases the speed with which that bond forms. It's really interesting stuff. I love seeing concepts from my classes affecting the real world.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
i've had my pokéwalker on my belt since i got it.
just got the wife the alternate version so now our pokés can playdate too.

Flamestorm06

Mar 23, 2010
Huh, I didn't know you got rare items from connecting two pokewalkers. I wonder if my local Gamestop will mind if I camp there for a few hours

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
RikSharp said:
just got the wife the alternate version so now our pokés can playdate too.
...Is that a euphemism?

That aside, I really feel like I need to get my hands on SoulSilver, if just for nostalgia's sake. I'd have to borrow my sisters DS but still, I need it.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
That is awesome, social network site and such should do something similar, like when you connect you get points for a reward and the person is added to special friend's list. I'd buy it

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
Sega missed out on a golden opportunity, it seems. They only had players transfer the otherwise useless Chao pets from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 to the Virtual Memory Units for training (via mini-game like a stripped down handheld gaming device)and socializing with other players and their Chao with minor rewards and breeding by plugging the VMU into one another.
That Nintendo's Pokewalker lets one level up monsters central to the main gameplay experience by getting exercise and making connections sounds much better to me.
Then again, maybe the pedometer hadn't been invented during the era of the Dreamcast?

Guvnorium

Nov 20, 2008
Jasmin can also be tackled with a good ground move or two, especially the Levatate-less magnemites. I took care of her by teaching my leveled Sudowodo dig :D (Who is also a great physical tank. Except against fighting. I hate that...)

And I beat carry mine everywhere too. There are three kinds of people at my high school I have discovered. Those who own the new pokemon game, those who would if they had a DS and those who can't believe that eighteen year olds still play pokemon.

sallene

Dec 11, 2008
There is just something very...... creepy about grown men being excited about pokemon.

prophet0607

Mar 11, 2009
:) its always nice to find someone as nerdy as you. <right now gligar has app. 1500watts. time to unlock some more routes> but which WoW dragon did you name it after? im curious.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
That's really cool. Too bad every one focusses on the negatives of gaming to give a damn.

One day, I'll be able to shout "Pokewalker" and be awesome like you guys, one day...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
John Funk said:
(Actually, given that I nicknamed my Dratini after a Warcraft dragon, the Pokéwalker did end up identifying me to Pokémon fans and WoW fans alike, but I digress.)
Which one?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I just have this hilarious mental image of Jon wading through a crowded room, pokewalker raised high above the heads of the others in his palm as he calls out "POKEWALKER" as he eyes a potential playmate.