ABC Picks Up Marvel's Agent Carter TV Series

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
ABC Picks Up Marvel's Agent Carter TV Series

Worst kept secret of Fall TV season is out for real

It feels like everyone has been joking about ABC pretending that this wasn't a sure thing for so long that it might've already happened, but no - it only just became official this evening: The Disney-owned network has given a direct-to-series order to Agent Carter, a Marvel-backed series starring Haley Atwell's character from the Captain America movies.

The series, which is based partly on a "Marvel One-Shots" short film starring the title character, will be set in 1946 following the events of Captain America: The First Avenger. Though plot details are still being kept under wraps (the original pilot script came from the writers of Captain America: The Winter Soldier) it is assumed to follow the tone of the One-Shot, with Agent Peggy Carter battling both comic-book villainy and real world 40s sexism during the early days of S.H.I.E.L.D. Atwell has already been confirmed to return in the main role. Interest has been expressed (on both ends) regarding the return of characters like Dominic Cooper's Howard Stark and Neal McDonough's Dum-Dum Dugan, but no further announcements have been made.

ABC has not confirmed a schedule position for the series, though there has been some speculation that it may begin as a "bridge series" between two half-seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, which was also been renewed for a second season Thursday evening.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/abc-picks-up-marvel-agent-carter-renews-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/]

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Well, for a 'worst-kept secret, first I'm hearing about it. Suppose that puts all the Howling Commandos references they've been throwing around in Agents of SHIELD in context.

This should be... interesting. No opinion on how good it'll be, given how rough Agents started, but the past is always a fun place to watch.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Keep Joss Whedon away from it and that will be enough. I'd like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, not "Joss Whedon's Marvel Universe."

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Should be good. The only thing that disappoints me is that Tommy Lee Jones is a legit famous actor person that's probably too expensive for a TV show like this so I doubt we'll be seeing much or any of his character. Its a shame too since he seems to be a corner stone of the early days of S.H.I.E.L.D. wonder if we'll see Zola as well since he is still alive at this point.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Whedonesque was the only place I saw with a link to the very brief blurb about it embedded in a much broader piece.
But I'm pretty excited for it. She kicked absolute @$$ in her Marvel One-Shot.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I had no idea Agent Carter got her own one-shot film, so after reading this I went to check the short out.

Sweet Jesus, yes.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
KazeAizen said:
Should be good. The only thing that disappoints me is that Tommy Lee Jones is a legit famous actor person that's probably too expensive for a TV show like this
Given some of his recent movies, it will probably knock his price down a bit. Perhaps enough for brief appearances like Samuel L. Jackson in SHIELD.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
008Zulu said:
KazeAizen said:
Should be good. The only thing that disappoints me is that Tommy Lee Jones is a legit famous actor person that's probably too expensive for a TV show like this
Given some of his recent movies, it will probably knock his price down a bit. Perhaps enough for brief appearances like Samuel L. Jackson in SHIELD.
Samuel L. Jackson has been doing commercials for Capital One for quite some time. making commercials is usually reserved for new/has been actors or sports players. He does the commercial's well but it needs a "************" at the end of the closing line to make it perfect. Jackson may either be taking anything he can get for some reason or a credit card company is spending way too much on commercials and hiking up interest on the customers to pay for them.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
It's not going to stop me from banging the drum for a Black Widow movie, but it's nice to see Marvel finally making something with a female lead. We've more than enough dudes already.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Anachronism said:
It's not going to stop me from banging the drum for a Black Widow movie
Yeah, that would be so sweet. We need more super spy ladies.

This is awesome news. I loved her character in Captain America and I generally love spy fiction, especially with female leads because they are so rare and they tend to be amazing.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
JET1971 said:
008Zulu said:
KazeAizen said:
Samuel L. Jackson has been doing commercials for Capital One for quite some time. making commercials is usually reserved for new/has been actors or sports players. He does the commercial's well but it needs a "************" at the end of the closing line to make it perfect. Jackson may either be taking anything he can get for some reason or a credit card company is spending way too much on commercials and hiking up interest on the customers to pay for them.
Tommy Lee Jones has been doing commercials for a while too.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
albino boo said:
Translated

"ABC has decided to put on a weekly hour of Haley Atwell in a tight blouse."

Well why else does anyone want this to happen? at least there will be one entertaining Marvel TV show.
I have no objection to Haley Atwell in a tight blouse. I just get little tired of lines like "Agent Peggy Carter battling both comic-book villainy and real world 40s sexism during the early days of S.H.I.E.L.D." when they mean lets get the audience thinking this (mildly nfsw)

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I didn't know Agents was renewed. That's two pieces of good news in one article. Yay!

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Agents of Shield is a painfully mediocre show. I have a feeling this will end up same way.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
008Zulu said:
KazeAizen said:
Perhaps but the difference between him and Sam is that Sam loves being Nick Fury. He'll play him in a small role if Disney asks. Even on a TV show. Jones though I don't think is quite like that sadly.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
JET1971 said:
008Zulu said:
KazeAizen said:
I think Sam is just at the point where he gives absolutely zero fucks. I mean in some of those commercials he actually says damn. Some super stars I think just do that. They make enough money and then they whatever the hell they want. I mean he's probably making a killing being Nick Fury.