Absolutely Fed Up With The "Men only care about sex" ideology

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
The stereotype is a load of shit.

I mean I'm Asexual I don't have a sex drive I'm not interested in intercourse with either gender.

If I am not living proof of why this stereotype is a load of crock made up by some hack. What is?

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
Welcome to the age of misandry. Sorry yours has been such a bumpy ride. If it's any consolation, men are generally starting to speak out against this bullshit.
The age of misandry?
Are you fucking serious?
Hyperbole ahoy!
While I will admit the age of misandry is a bit of hyperbole its no different then other views I have seen from the opposite end of it.

Dec 14, 2009
FieryTrainwreck said:
AngloDoom said:
Steve Waltz said:
Wow, am I alone here? Man, this stereotype is so insignificant, flossing my teeth is more important.
As someone who has friends who are majority women and is working in the healthcare setting where I have - at times - been the only male in the workplace, I can say it's been rather significant for me.
My motives get questioned for any particularly kind act, sometimes I feel like I can't have female friends who are 'good friends' without people wondering where it's headed, I've had accusations of abusing female patients in my first year working in dementia care (that were thankfully dismissed due to the fact that I wouldn't work with vulnerable female patients without supervision when I first started) and I have been accused of rape by an ex-girlfriend while in college - an accusation that was considered truth for several weeks by a large amount of people and resulted in be regularly receiving death-threats by strangers and almost getting into several fights.

I'm glad you haven't had any difficulties due to this stereotype, but I find it disheartening that I can't take photos of my nieces at the park without parents glowering at me and whisking their children away.
Welcome to the age of misandry. Sorry yours has been such a bumpy ride. If it's any consolation, men are generally starting to speak out against this bullshit.

Yeah, gotta watch out for all them womenz taking our rights and shit.

[sub]I swear, you can't make this shit up...[/sub]

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
AngloDoom said:
Steve Waltz said:
Wow, am I alone here? Man, this stereotype is so insignificant, flossing my teeth is more important.
As someone who has friends who are majority women and is working in the healthcare setting where I have - at times - been the only male in the workplace, I can say it's been rather significant for me.
My motives get questioned for any particularly kind act, sometimes I feel like I can't have female friends who are 'good friends' without people wondering where it's headed, I've had accusations of abusing female patients in my first year working in dementia care (that were thankfully dismissed due to the fact that I wouldn't work with vulnerable female patients without supervision when I first started) and I have been accused of rape by an ex-girlfriend while in college - an accusation that was considered truth for several weeks by a large amount of people and resulted in be regularly receiving death-threats by strangers and almost getting into several fights.

I'm glad you haven't had any difficulties due to this stereotype, but I find it disheartening that I can't take photos of my nieces at the park without parents glowering at me and whisking their children away.

I am studying for a career in the health care sector and while I am a women it's already apparent that it definitely dose negativity effect guys quite a bit. It's not "womenz taking rights away" but is how stereotypes about men can effect their lives to. Ignoring theses issues is not slight against feminism unless its being bought up to shut down talk about women rights. It is not an insignificant issue.
People think guys are motivated by sex. If its a female patient it makes them less likely to trust you, let you touch them and tell you the correct information especially if it relates to more private areas of the body and you really have to watch what you do so you don't give the wrong impression. If your working with a guy you get the same things because people fear "teh gay" and if your not careful guys can react aggressively. If you work with mental health you get watched because people think your going to exploit them sexually. If you work with kids you are likely going to be accused of being a paedophile at some point (because a man wouldn't just work with kids because he likes kids in non sexual way, right?) and it can destroy careers and scares guys off even taking them. Male childhood teachers have similar issues. Both of my male lecturers have had issues with this.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Something you had no reason to assume whatsoever. Even your excuse of "top of the quote chain" makes no sense. There was no quote chain in that post. I was specific in the person I was quoting and the statement I was responding to.
I'm not sure what tone you're reading my words in, but I was just trying to be nice and have a conversation with you. There's no need for this hostility. Do you talk to people like this face-to-face?

Dec 14, 2009
DementedSheep said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
AngloDoom said:
Steve Waltz said:

I am studying for a career in the health care sector and while I am a women it's already apparent that it definitely dose negativity effect guys quite a bit. It's not "womenz taking rights away" but is how stereotypes about men can effect their lives to. Ignoring theses issues is not slight against feminism unless its being bought up to shut down talk about women rights. It is not an insignificant issue.
People think guys are motivated by sex. If its a female patient it makes them less likely to trust you, let you touch them and tell you the correct information especially if it relates to more private areas of the body and you really have to watch what you do so you don't give the wrong impression. If your working with a guy you get the same things because people fear "teh gay" and if your not careful guys can react aggressively. If you work with mental health you get watched because people think your going to exploit them sexually. If you work with kids you are likely going to be accused of being a paedophile at some point (because a man wouldn't just work with kids because he likes kids in non sexual way, right?) and it can destroy careers and scares guys off even taking them. Male childhood teachers have similar issues. Both of my male lecturers have had issues with this.
I wasn't claiming that men didn't have problems.

I was pointing out that those problems were not indicative of misandry.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
DementedSheep said:
Daystar Clarion said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
AngloDoom said:
Steve Waltz said:

I apologise. I thought the original comment about this being insignificant was yours as well.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Trilligan said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
As long as you're willing to toss out white/male/cis/heterosexual privilege using the exact same reasoning, I agree.
Sorry, those two things are not at all equivalent.

Stereotypes describe a prejudice about how a certain group of people behave, privilege describes a set of benefits one group in a society has that others don't - or, with growing prominence in this type of discussion, a set of detriments applied to all groups save the privileged one.

For instance, saying all men only think with their penises is a stereotype, whereas saying men are typically paid more than women in otherwise equivalent jobs is describing a privilege.

The reasoning behind discarding generalization and stereotyping doesn't apply to privilege.
The big problem with the privilege argument is that there is an assumption said people didn't deserve what they got. For instance if it's about male privilege regarding the job market it implies many men didn't get what they got because they deserved it but partially because they're men.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Something that genuinely confuses me - I hope you can explain - is why a person who holds demeaning opinions of, or acts in a denigrating attitude towards, females-in-general is a misogynist, but a person who does similar towards males-in-general isn't a misandrist.

It seems like unless it's manifested in the narrow form of "I hate men," most are not prepared to label such attitudes misandry.

I don't mean gender-hatred in the trivial sense where someone's just broken up with someone else and they're all like "I hate wo/men! I'm done with them!" But in the more serious sense that manifests itself in other, less obvious ways, but which are nonetheless indicative of underlying disdain.

Why is that?

Dec 14, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Something that genuinely confuses me - I hope you can explain - is why a person who holds demeaning opinions of, or acts in a denigrating attitude towards, females-in-general is a misogynist, but a person who does similar towards males-in-general isn't a misandrist.

It seems like unless it's manifested in the narrow form of "I hate men," most are not prepared to label such attitudes misandry.

I don't mean gender-hatred in the trivial sense where someone's just broken up with someone else and they're all like "I hate wo/men! I'm done with them!" But in the more serious sense that manifests itself in other, less obvious ways, but which are nonetheless indicative of underlying disdain.

Why is that?
Sexism is not misogyny/misandry.

There are many societal issues that are sexist in nature, but I would be very hesitant to start labelling all but the worst offenders as misogynistic/misandrist.

Cloned31

Feb 11, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh, if only men had some sort of power to change this. You know, like they controlled the majority of Western society or had the ear of not just marketing, but executives and the market itself.

*sigh* Oh well, I can always dream of a day when we can see a man in the White House.

Cloned31 said:
BTW, I don't care if it's comedy. It's not right.
So are you going to post routinely about Maher's jokes, fact-checking him, or is this a special case because ponies?

JoJo said:
I don't mind jokes about men really wanting sex, lets be honest most of us are like that, but it similarly grinds my gears when some people try to use those stereotypes to justify child abuse of male victims or any rape really.
And there's a Bill Maher stance that people should actually be up in arms about. Dude has multiple times excused statutory rape or child abuse based on the basic notion that "they must have wanted it." And he's done it straight, too. Not just in his comedy segments.

Lynx said:
I'm as peeved as you. Imagine if it had been the other way around. Had he been joking about women being coerced into sex but secretly wanting it, he WOULD be put under fire.
That disparity would seem more outrageous if there was parity to begin with.

Phasmal said:
Yeah, cause men can't actually enjoy a woman's company at all, they're just ruled by the downstairs brain.
You'd probably be surprised at the number of guys who believe that, then.

What you're suggesting is that men aren't allowed to say that their problems are part of the social construct because they made the damn thing in the first place? I'm sorry but I can't accept that. Look, I understand that men can change that because they are in power but it doesn't change the ineffable truth that we teach men and boys to be hyper masculine Men should have every right to talk about how wrong that is because really that hyper masculinity perpetuates a lot of the abuse and sexim. Please excuse me but it seems you are suggesting that men are naturally like this.

"We do a great disservice to boys in how we raise them. We stifle the humanity of boys. We define masculinity in a very narrow way. Masculinity becomes this small hard cage, and we put boys inside the cage. We teach boys to be afraid of fear. We teach boys to be afraid of weakness, of vulnerability...We do a much greater disservice to girls, because we raise them to cater to the fragile egos of men. We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls: ?You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man. If you are the breadwinner in your relationship with a man, you have to pretend that you?re not, especially in public otherwise you will ?emasculate? him." ~ Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I wanted to include this quote because it perfectly describes my feelings toward this topic. It feels like there is too many people that feel they need to devalue Men struggle or Women's struggles. Yes, the numbers are grossly different between men and women when it comes to rape and abuse. However, if we are going to get anywhere we need to stop assuming there are different teams; Men and Women. This isn't baseball people.

Most of the situations are perpetuated by the hyper sexualization which is usually bullied into boys by 3rd grade for christ sake. (1st if you consider me) And we don't teach women to be strong, independent, and leaders in our world. Maybe if we can both help each other out and stop pointing fingers at men or women. It's everyone's job to fix this.

And I already know what you are going to say, "You are pointing fingers at Maher. Theres a little bit of hypocrisy there." and you're wrong because I'm not pointing at Bill Maher the man, I'm pointing at Bill Maher the business. Think about it, in America we treat businesses as "outsiders" in a sense. They can't be persecuted or tried like any other person because they are a business. Think of the banks in New York and Wall Street who got away with federal crimes. And what businesses do is try to appeal to a demographic that they think will give them the most money no matter how sick or disgusting or misogynistic it may be. Hence, I'm not attacking men or women (or trying to generalize that all men do something or all women do something); I am attacking the business in this country because you don't have to generalize or assume based on nothing that they are bad and are perpetuating most of the misogyny , you just have to look at your TV.

That being said, if a man rapes anyone or abuses a women that's not a valid excuse for him. What I've said above is certainly a reason why something like that would happen but not an excuse.

Also I'd like to add that this is the exact reason why I think it's bullshit that we attack (Oh god) Anita because we really should be attacking the video game companies. Plus, we could kill two bird with one stone. Stop BS practices and also stop the continual blind-eye that the industry turned to HALF of it's players.

There I think I got everything out there.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Guy here. My girlfriend tries to initiate sex more than I do.

Sometimes I'm just not into it and it doesn't happen.

So it's immediately obvious that the stereotype is absolute bullshit, and it annoys me to have my entire personality boiled down into something like that, basically equating me with some animalistic caveman stereotype.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
i agree, i've known many guys that got irritated with this, its the same weird double standard (in reverse) that women face like we're all supposed to be innocent-pretty-white-flowers that have no idea what 'sex' is, and the moment we say 'yes i do' we're labeled sluts and whores... only for guys you're EXPECTED to just nod and agree with 'i'm a slut/whore' but in this context its the 'right' thing...

i personally think its all bullshit anyway, i grew up in a matriarchy of cougars (ya know older women that prey on young men), when i had to go out into the 'real world' where men dominated and were the whoremongers and i was expected to just sit there and be pretty or complain i was rather confused .-.

its my experience women not only think about sex more then men but openly talk about it more, or maybe its because that's generally just with other women, and using more descriptive words then 'dick' and '*****' (i was in the navy, it got pretty gritty on a daily basis for descriptions in an all-male-except-me division -.-)

but i digress, this concept of 'guys always want sex' is as irritating as 'women are all innocent or whores' can we get a middle ground? or better yet NOT talk about sex like its a flagrant thing because its 'cool' to talk about raunchy subjects because its what 'badasses' do... i'm sure all us sane people are tired of hearing it and the assumptions that go with it...

plus teenagers are idiots, but that's a whole other discussion...

i don't know what it is, male-perogative or just some vestigial thinking pattern from the 'old guard' that won't go away where the assumption is always 'guys only care about sex' and therefore would never talk up in these context, society makes it hard enough for guys not know what the hell they're supposed to be DOING with all its contradictory representations of 'male' that either making those that don't speak up feel stupid or those that do feel emasculated and weak... rape/sexual assault/pressure/or force is never okay, no matter the gender, and especially with a minor, even someone 17 and 11 months, is wrong because as i previously stated, teenagers are morons, physically incapable of making proper decisions due to the brain developing and rewiring itself at that age... i think he should get slammed for apparently condoning pedophilia -.-

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phasmal said:
I wonder how much of it is down to how we train men to see relationships with women in their life.
It's an interesting question. One that would be sort of hard to study. But it'd probably be worth it. One of the dangerous tipping points in generalisations is when we go from "X does Y" to "X does why because it's in their nature." Hell, being trans, I grew up adopting male behaviour solely for fear for my safety if I did not. Which leads me to some awkward questions about my own identity. Would I still like what I like if I was allowed to develop freely, without direct fear (and soemtimes acts) of violence? Would I still be....Well, me?

Is it nature? Nurture? Something in between? I'm inclined to believe it's largely nurture, though I wouldn't preclude some help from nature. But I'm not an expert in the field, and my studies would probably violate ethical grounds if I was.

...I'm not a mad scientist.

We do enforce it at the very least. Every time there's a notable rape in the news (One that gets national attention, that is), people start floating around those images that say something to the effect of "dressing like (a certain way) and expecting men not to rape you is like expecting (insert potentially dangerous animal here) not to (insert something violent and possibly lethal here) you." And the idea seems to be fairly common, that wanting sex (whether the other person is willing or not) is a base, animalistic portion of the male condition. That's ignoring the fact that it oversimplifies rape as well. I mean, it's not like only "hot" women in "slutty" clothes get raped. Or there's any pattern we've found. Or like rape is just about being horny. But the animal comparison....And especially the notion that a tight dress is akin to, say, chumming the waters around sharks....

I also think a lot of people exaggerate it.
Possible. I wonder, though, given how candid people are to me. I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I'm okay to be frank with, but they're really lucky I'm not into blackmail.

This is something I've noticed too. Seems like there's always a low level of `dem ebil feminists` etc.. but when it intensifies, things get... weird.
But I am an evil feminist myself, so I could just be biased.
Well, I can't help, also being one of them evil feminists. Since we're both part of the feminist collective, our hivemind uplink has likely skewed our perception in the same fashion. Which reminds me, I'm late for my latest datastream.....

Danny Ocean said:
I'm not sure what tone you're reading my words in, but I was just trying to be nice and have a conversation with you. There's no need for this hostility. Do you talk to people like this face-to-face?
Dude, you just pulled a "sure, whatever," I don't know what grounds on which you're trying to pull the "no need for hostility" card. Do YOU talk to people like that face-to-face?

Further, I find it difficult to have a "nice" conversation with people who approach me in bad faith or lie to me. And yes, I am like that face-to-face. But then, I'm not sure how addressing the inaccuracy of your statements is "hostility." That's not being "nice."

So don't lie to me and then complain that I'm being hostile. Especially if you're going to make (and then edit) hostile replies. That's hypocritical.

Cloned31 said:
What you're suggesting is that men aren't allowed to say that their problems are part of the social construct because they made the damn thing in the first place?
Go back and re-read it. I said quite the opposite, in fact.

Look, I understand that men can change that because they are in power but it doesn't change the ineffable truth that we teach men and boys to be hyper masculine
Pardon me for cutting you off, but you don't seem to be punctuating so I have to guess the end of your thoughts. That looked like four sentences.

Anyway, yes. Men teach boys to be "hyper-masculine." It's "ineffable" that men are ultimately responsible for that, then.

So you're agreeing with me? Because despite arguing against the point you claim I'm making, you seem to be in accordance that the men are the ones doing this to men.

"We do a great disservice to boys in how we raise them. We stifle the humanity of boys. We define masculinity in a very narrow way. Masculinity becomes this small hard cage, and we put boys inside the cage. We teach boys to be afraid of fear. We teach boys to be afraid of weakness, of vulnerability...We do a much greater disservice to girls, because we raise them to cater to the fragile egos of men. We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls: ?You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man. If you are the breadwinner in your relationship with a man, you have to pretend that you?re not, especially in public otherwise you will ?emasculate? him." ~ Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
And again, allow me to restate:

If only men were in a position to do something about this.

Now, before we get into more silliness where you claim the opposite of my position, I've already said in this thread that the fact that men are doing it to men does not make it right. It does, however, make men ultimately responsible.

It feels like there is too many people that feel they need to devalue Men struggle or Women's struggles.
That's nice, but hardly relevant to addressing me. You could be talking about the issue of starving children in Africa for all the weight this has.

However, if we are going to get anywhere we need to stop assuming there are different teams; Men and Women.
I agree with your platitude. However, since you're going to bang this battle drum, allow me to point out that both men and women are largely wronged by the same group: men. That's not playing teams, that's addressing the perpetrator. If you get beat up on the playground, nobody starts telling you you shouldn't pick sides between bully and victim.

Maybe if we can both help each other out and stop pointing fingers at men or women.
I wasn't aware that saying men have the ultimate power to do something here was pointing fingers at men or women. At worst, at absolute worst, it's a statement that maybe men should take some damn responsibility. You're the one playing the victim card here, bro.

And I already know what you are going to say, "You are pointing fingers at Maher. Theres a little bit of hypocrisy there."
I can see my participation is not necessary in this argument. Was the fact that I wasn't going to say any such thing relevant, or should I show myself out?

Also I'd like to add that this is the exact reason why I think it's bullshit that we attack (Oh god) Anita because we really should be attacking the video game companies.
But video game companies aren't the ones pointing out things we don't want to hear about. That, not sexism, is what gains Anita her ire. Anita represents the evil feminists who are going to take all our games away and force us to play politically correct games where strong women in pantsuits emasculate women for fun before we enter re-education camps where men will become women and thank the matriarchy for the privilege

While hyperbolic, that is the issue. People attacking her are largely bothered by addressing the elephant in the room, not addressing the elephant in the room. And for people fine with that precarious pachyderm, they have absolutely no reason to go after video game companies.

In short: the people who attack Anita aren't attacking her because they want women in video games or women in the community to be treated better. In fact, they rarely go after her for things she actually says.

...Which should sort of make you pause at this point.

Cloned31

Feb 11, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Phasmal said:
I wonder how much of it is down to how we train men to see relationships with women in their life.
It's an interesting question. One that would be sort of hard to study. But it'd probably be worth it. One of the dangerous tipping points in generalisations is when we go from "X does Y" to "X does why because it's in their nature." Hell, being trans, I grew up adopting male behaviour solely for fear for my safety if I did not. Which leads me to some awkward questions about my own identity. Would I still like what I like if I was allowed to develop freely, without direct fear (and soemtimes acts) of violence? Would I still be....Well, me?

Is it nature? Nurture? Something in between? I'm inclined to believe it's largely nurture, though I wouldn't preclude some help from nature. But I'm not an expert in the field, and my studies would probably violate ethical grounds if I was.

...I'm not a mad scientist.

We do enforce it at the very least. Every time there's a notable rape in the news (One that gets national attention, that is), people start floating around those images that say something to the effect of "dressing like (a certain way) and expecting men not to rape you is like expecting (insert potentially dangerous animal here) not to (insert something violent and possibly lethal here) you." And the idea seems to be fairly common, that wanting sex (whether the other person is willing or not) is a base, animalistic portion of the male condition. That's ignoring the fact that it oversimplifies rape as well. I mean, it's not like only "hot" women in "slutty" clothes get raped. Or there's any pattern we've found. Or like rape is just about being horny. But the animal comparison....And especially the notion that a tight dress is akin to, say, chumming the waters around sharks....

I also think a lot of people exaggerate it.
Possible. I wonder, though, given how candid people are to me. I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I'm okay to be frank with, but they're really lucky I'm not into blackmail.

This is something I've noticed too. Seems like there's always a low level of `dem ebil feminists` etc.. but when it intensifies, things get... weird.
But I am an evil feminist myself, so I could just be biased.
Well, I can't help, also being one of them evil feminists. Since we're both part of the feminist collective, our hivemind uplink has likely skewed our perception in the same fashion. Which reminds me, I'm late for my latest datastream.....

Danny Ocean said:
Dude, you just pulled a "sure, whatever," I don't know what grounds on which you're trying to pull the "no need for hostility" card. Do YOU talk to people like that face-to-face?

Further, I find it difficult to have a "nice" conversation with people who approach me in bad faith or lie to me. And yes, I am like that face-to-face. But then, I'm not sure how addressing the inaccuracy of your statements is "hostility." That's not being "nice."

So don't lie to me and then complain that I'm being hostile. Especially if you're going to make (and then edit) hostile replies. That's hypocritical.

Cloned31 said:
What you're suggesting is that men aren't allowed to say that their problems are part of the social construct because they made the damn thing in the first place?
Go back and re-read it. I said quite the opposite, in fact.

Look, I understand that men can change that because they are in power but it doesn't change the ineffable truth that we teach men and boys to be hyper masculine
Pardon me for cutting you off, but you don't seem to be punctuating so I have to guess the end of your thoughts. That looked like four sentences.

Anyway, yes. Men teach boys to be "hyper-masculine." It's "ineffable" that men are ultimately responsible for that, then.

So you're agreeing with me? Because despite arguing against the point you claim I'm making, you seem to be in accordance that the men are the ones doing this to men.

And again, allow me to restate:

If only men were in a position to do something about this.

Now, before we get into more silliness where you claim the opposite of my position, I've already said in this thread that the fact that men are doing it to men does not make it right. It does, however, make men ultimately responsible.

It feels like there is too many people that feel they need to devalue Men struggle or Women's struggles.
That's nice, but hardly relevant to addressing me. You could be talking about the issue of starving children in Africa for all the weight this has.

However, if we are going to get anywhere we need to stop assuming there are different teams; Men and Women.
I agree with your platitude. However, since you're going to bang this battle drum, allow me to point out that both men and women are largely wronged by the same group: men. That's not playing teams, that's addressing the perpetrator. If you get beat up on the playground, nobody starts telling you you shouldn't pick sides between bully and victim.

Maybe if we can both help each other out and stop pointing fingers at men or women.
I wasn't aware that saying men have the ultimate power to do something here was pointing fingers at men or women. At worst, at absolute worst, it's a statement that maybe men should take some damn responsibility. You're the one playing the victim card here, bro.

And I already know what you are going to say, "You are pointing fingers at Maher. Theres a little bit of hypocrisy there."
I can see my participation is not necessary in this argument. Was the fact that I wasn't going to say any such thing relevant, or should I show myself out?

Also I'd like to add that this is the exact reason why I think it's bullshit that we attack (Oh god) Anita because we really should be attacking the video game companies.
But video game companies aren't the ones pointing out things we don't want to hear about. That, not sexism, is what gains Anita her ire. Anita represents the evil feminists who are going to take all our games away and force us to play politically correct games where strong women in pantsuits emasculate women for fun before we enter re-education camps where men will become women and thank the matriarchy for the privilege

While hyperbolic, that is the issue. People attacking her are largely bothered by addressing the elephant in the room, not addressing the elephant in the room. And for people fine with that precarious pachyderm, they have absolutely no reason to go after video game companies.

In short: the people who attack Anita aren't attacking her because they want women in video games or women in the community to be treated better. In fact, they rarely go after her for things she actually says.

...Which should sort of make you pause at this point.
And my point right here, you are generalizing men. Saying that men did this doesn't fix anything. Blaming the companies that advertise this and perpetuate it makes much more sense then saying that "men" should fix this. Which is what you are implying at the least.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:

The jist was preserved. The "Sure, whatever" was a bemused one, not a dismissive one. Like when people go, "OOkaay..." That's why I edited it- because you might've take it the wrong way. It's unfortunate you read it before I edited it and took it just so.

If you want to know how you could've addressed the inaccuracy of my statement without sounding hostile, then have a look at this alternative way of saying it:

Instead of,

Something you had no reason to assume whatsoever. Even your excuse of "top of the quote chain" makes no sense. There was no quote chain in that post. I was specific in the person I was quoting and the statement I was responding to.
You could've said,

I was referring specifically to CS's comment, not the whole conversation.
The latter is hostility-free correction. There's no paternal chastising or accusations of post-hoc excuse-making. You escalated so quickly it was genuinely surprising. Even after I apologised for a false assumption. So you were not simply addressing the inaccuracy of my statement, you were loading your response with extra uncalled-for hostility.

Again, I'm not lying to you. An edit that maintained the intended meaning is not a lie. The way you keep reading innocuous words as hostile is baffling.

Cloned31

Feb 11, 2014
What we should do is scrutinize the companies that perpetuate the sexist nonsense through ad's. Make sex education required in all states and teach students not to rape. We can even teach children at a very young age (without talking about sex) that coercion or peer pressure is not good. That could help these children when they become teenagers and receive sex education. Zachary, instead of trying to blame men why don't we come up with a more concrete solution to the problem. Which was the whole dam point of my argument. I was trying to point out, also, that the mentioned societal propaganda is not an excuse but a reason Therefore I'm not trying to act like the victim or act like other men are victims but conclude that most men act that way because we teach them to act that way. And YES men are the one's teaching them but really, blaming "men" gets us nowhere; blaming and scrutinizing the companies themselves that perpetuate the sexist notions makes much more sense. You are trying to say "men" as if a teacher would say "the class". In other words, you aren't addressing all men. However, saying just "men" to be the perpetrators is just fruitless. We on good authority know that companies advertise sexism often, why not blame those specific people? I mean for christ sake we can point out exactly who does this, so what's the purpose of using the overarching term "men"? "Men should fix this" really isn't concrete and therefore Zachary, your point is moot.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Cloned31 said:
We on good authority know that companies advertise sexism often, why not blame those specific people? I mean for christ sake we can point out exactly who does this, so what's the purpose of using the overarching term "men"? "Men should fix this" really isn't concrete and therefore Zachary, your point is moot.
Well, only 3-4% of Creative Directors in ad agencies are women, 4,6% of Fortune 500 CEOs are women, 4.6% of Fortune 1000 CEOs are women and 16.9 % of corporate board seats in the USA are held by women.

Most of the people who are in charge of designing advertisements are men and most of the top-ranking positions in the client companies (-> the people who order advertisements) are also held by men. Similarly, in the US movie industry only 7% of directors, 13% of writers, and 20% of producers are female. So most of the movies where men are portrayed as sex-crazed morons or as emotionless brutes or as comedic rape victims are often written, directed and produced by other men.

It's not really unreasonable to say that men should do something about it when majority of leadership positions in advertisement industry, movie industry and corporate america are held by men. They have the power to change things.

http://digiday.com/agencies/where-are-all-the-female-creative-directors/
http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/women-ceos-fortune-1000
http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/women-boards
https://www.seejane.org/research/