Academy Award/Oscar Nominations 2020

Nov 28, 2007
Welp, that time of year again. The time for the awards shows that Hollywood loves. I'll leave each category in spoilers, for the sake of space, then give my thoughts overall. The parentheses next to each entry is to help keep track of how many awards each film is nominated for.

Ford vs Ferrari (1)
The Irishman (1)
Jojo Rabbit (1)
Joker (1)
Little Women (1)
Marriage Story (1)
1917 (1)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (1)
Parasite (1)

Martin Scorsese- The Irishman (2)
Todd Phillips- Joker (2)
Sam Mendes- 1917 (2)
Quentin Tarantino- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2)
Bong Joon-ho- Parasite (2)

Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory as Salvador Mallo (1)
Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Rick Dalton (3)
Adam Driver- Marriage Story as Charlie Barber (2)
Joaquin Phoenix- Joker as Arthur Fleck/The Joker (3)
Jonathan Pryce- The Two Popes as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (1)

Cynthia Ervo- Harriet as Harriet Tubman (1)
Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story as Nicole Barber (3)
Saoirse Ronan- Little Women as Josephine "Jo" March (2)
Charlize Theron- Bombshell as Megyn Kelly (1)
Renee Zellweger- Judy as Judy Garland (1)

Tom Hanks- Welcome to the Neighborhood as Mister Rogers (1)
Anthony Hopkins- The Two Popes as Pope Benedict XVI (2)
Al Pacino- The Irishman as Jimmy Hoffa (3)
Joe Pesci- The Irishman as Russell Bufalino (4)
Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Cliff Booth (4)

Kathy Bates- Richard Jewell as Barbara "Bobi" Jewell (1)
Laura Dern- Marriage Story as Nora Fanshaw (4)
Scarlett Johansson- Jojo Rabbit as Rosie Betzler (2)
Florence Pugh- Little Women as Amy March (3)
Margot Robbie- Bombshell as Kayla Pospisil (2)

Knives Out (1)
Marriage Story (5)
1917 (3)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (5)
Parasite (3)

The Irishman (5)
Jojo Rabbit (3)
Joker (4)
Little Women (4)
The Two Popes (3)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Lost World (1)
I Lost My Body (1)
Klaus (1)
Missing Link (1)
Toy Story 4 (1)

Corpus Christi (Polish) (1)
Honeyland (Turkish) (1)
Les Miserables (French) (1)
Pain and Glory (Spanish) (2)
Parasite (Korean) (4)

American Factory (1)
The Cave (1)
The Edge of Democracy (1)
For Sama (1)
Honeyland (2)

In the Absence (1)
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (1)
Life Overtakes Me (1)
St. Louis Superman (1)
Walk Run Cha-Cha (1)

Brotherhood (1)
Nefta Football Club (1)
The Neighbors' Window (1)
Saria (1)
A Sister (1)

Dcera (Daughter) (1)
Hair Love (1)
Kitbull (1)
Memorable (1)
Sister (1)

Joker (5)
Little Women (5)
Marriage Story (6)
1917 (4)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (1)

I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away from Toy Story 4 (2)
(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again from Rocketman (1)
I'm Standing With You from Breakthrough (1)
Into the Unknown from Frozen II (1)
Stand Up from Harriet (2)

Ford vs Ferrari (2)
Joker (6)
1917 (5)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2)

Ad Astra (1)
Ford vs Ferrari (3)
Joker (7)
1917 (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (7)

The Irishman (6)
Jojo Rabbit (4)
1917 (7)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (8)
Parasite (5)

The Irishman (7)
Joker (8)
The Lighthouse (1)
1917 (8)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9)

Bombshell (3)
Joker (9)
Judy (2)
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (1)
1917 (9)

The Irishman (8)
Jojo Rabbit (5)
Joker (10)
Little Women (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (10)

Ford vs Ferrari (4)
The Irishman (9)
Jojo Rabbit (6)
Joker (11)
Parasite (6)

Avengers: Endgame (1)
The Irishman (10)
The Lion King (1)
1917 (10)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (3)

Well, after all that, I have just a few comments to make. First off, while I quite liked the movie personally, I'm shocked that Joker was the most nominated movie, with 11 potential awards. As for snubs, I was quite surprised that Taron Egerton was not nominated for Best Actor for his role in Rocketman. Hell, that movie went basically ignored, with 1 nomination for "Original Song".

On the positive side, it's nice to see Tarantino finally get recognition as a filmmaker from the Academy, and Joe Pesci chose the right movie to come out of retirement for.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Very excited to see Joker get so many nominations. Good work getting properly rewarded is always a sight to behold.

It's not even a typical "oscar bait" type film either. It was just really good and surprisingly successful despite the efforts of vocal critics to brand it negative things. (I remember some ridiculous people trying to claim it'd cause mass shootings shortly before it premiered, I bet they're livid right now haha)

thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.

Joker speaks to the plight of the downtrodden across races, it's no accident that people in Chile (who are not white) were inspired by this movie and went on protests in Joker facepaint while they fought for their civil rights and quality of life.

It's so unbelievably irrelevant to those people whether he himself is Hispanic or not, he still shows you how much people are suffering. The only one who'd actually mind that he's white and not bother focusing on what he's actually going through (and have what he's going through make his race insignificant in their eyes) is someone who can't empathize with the feelings of someone who is actually downtrodden like the people in Chile.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Welp, that time of year again. The time for the awards shows that Hollywood loves. I'll leave each category in spoilers, for the sake of space, then give my thoughts overall. The parentheses next to each entry is to help keep track of how many awards each film is nominated for.

Ford vs Ferrari (1)
The Irishman (1)
Jojo Rabbit (1)
Joker (1)
Little Women (1)
Marriage Story (1)
1917 (1)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (1)
Parasite (1)

Martin Scorsese- The Irishman (2)
Todd Phillips- Joker (2)
Sam Mendes- 1917 (2)
Quentin Tarantino- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2)
Bong Joon-ho- Parasite (2)

Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory as Salvador Mallo (1)
Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Rick Dalton (3)
Adam Driver- Marriage Story as Charlie Barber (2)
Joaquin Phoenix- Joker as Arthur Fleck/The Joker (3)
Jonathan Pryce- The Two Popes as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (1)

Cynthia Ervo- Harriet as Harriet Tubman (1)
Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story as Nicole Barber (3)
Saoirse Ronan- Little Women as Josephine "Jo" March (2)
Charlize Theron- Bombshell as Megyn Kelly (1)
Renee Zellweger- Judy as Judy Garland (1)

Tom Hanks- Welcome to the Neighborhood as Mister Rogers (1)
Anthony Hopkins- The Two Popes as Pope Benedict XVI (2)
Al Pacino- The Irishman as Jimmy Hoffa (3)
Joe Pesci- The Irishman as Russell Bufalino (4)
Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Cliff Booth (4)

Kathy Bates- Richard Jewell as Barbara "Bobi" Jewell (1)
Laura Dern- Marriage Story as Nora Fanshaw (4)
Scarlett Johansson- Jojo Rabbit as Rosie Betzler (2)
Florence Pugh- Little Women as Amy March (3)
Margot Robbie- Bombshell as Kayla Pospisil (2)

Knives Out (1)
Marriage Story (5)
1917 (3)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (5)
Parasite (3)

The Irishman (5)
Jojo Rabbit (3)
Joker (4)
Little Women (4)
The Two Popes (3)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Lost World (1)
I Lost My Body (1)
Klaus (1)
Missing Link (1)
Toy Story 4 (1)

Corpus Christi (Polish) (1)
Honeyland (Turkish) (1)
Les Miserables (French) (1)
Pain and Glory (Spanish) (2)
Parasite (Korean) (4)

American Factory (1)
The Cave (1)
The Edge of Democracy (1)
For Sama (1)
Honeyland (2)

In the Absence (1)
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (1)
Life Overtakes Me (1)
St. Louis Superman (1)
Walk Run Cha-Cha (1)

Brotherhood (1)
Nefta Football Club (1)
The Neighbors' Window (1)
Saria (1)
A Sister (1)

Dcera (Daughter) (1)
Hair Love (1)
Kitbull (1)
Memorable (1)
Sister (1)

Joker (5)
Little Women (5)
Marriage Story (6)
1917 (4)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (1)

I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away from Toy Story 4 (2)
(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again from Rocketman (1)
I'm Standing With You from Breakthrough (1)
Into the Unknown from Frozen II (1)
Stand Up from Harriet (2)

Ford vs Ferrari (2)
Joker (6)
1917 (5)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2)

Ad Astra (1)
Ford vs Ferrari (3)
Joker (7)
1917 (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (7)

The Irishman (6)
Jojo Rabbit (4)
1917 (7)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (8)
Parasite (5)

The Irishman (7)
Joker (8)
The Lighthouse (1)
1917 (8)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9)

Bombshell (3)
Joker (9)
Judy (2)
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (1)
1917 (9)

The Irishman (8)
Jojo Rabbit (5)
Joker (10)
Little Women (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (10)

Ford vs Ferrari (4)
The Irishman (9)
Jojo Rabbit (6)
Joker (11)
Parasite (6)

Avengers: Endgame (1)
The Irishman (10)
The Lion King (1)
1917 (10)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (3)

Well, after all that, I have just a few comments to make. First off, while I quite liked the movie personally, I'm shocked that Joker was the most nominated movie, with 11 potential awards. As for snubs, I was quite surprised that Taron Egerton was not nominated for Best Actor for his role in Rocketman. Hell, that movie went basically ignored, with 1 nomination for "Original Song".

On the positive side, it's nice to see Tarantino finally get recognition as a filmmaker from the Academy, and Joe Pesci chose the right movie to come out of retirement for.

I'm not fully aware of the rules about submission for Academy consideration, but I think if Disney were gonna submit a song from Frozen II for it, it should have been "Show Yourself".

Dreiko said:
Very excited to see Joker get so many nominations. Good work getting properly rewarded is always a sight to behold.

It's not even a typical "oscar bait" type film either. It was just really good and surprisingly successful despite the efforts of vocal critics to brand it negative things. (I remember some ridiculous people trying to claim it'd cause mass shootings shortly before it premiered, I bet they're livid right now haha)

thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.

Joker speaks to the plight of the downtrodden across races, it's no accident that people in Chile (who are not white) were inspired by this movie and went on protests in Joker facepaint while they fought for their civil rights and quality of life.

It's so unbelievably irrelevant to those people whether he himself is Hispanic or not, he still shows you how much people are suffering. The only one who'd actually mind that he's white and not bother focusing on what he's actually going through (and have what he's going through make his race insignificant in their eyes) is someone who can't empathize with the feelings of someone who is actually downtrodden like the people in Chile.
In so much that that is a very positive outcome, as icons to attach yourself to that seems like Joker is another in a long list of protagonists about whom the point was vastly missed. See also V, Tyler Durden, Walter White and the entire cast of Sons of Anarchy.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
It wasn't a great year for movies so the Best Picture nominations are what you'd expect. Joker, in my opinion, deserves the nomination about as much or as little as Black Panther did. I wasn't crazy for it, outside of Phoenix's genuinely amazing lead performance, but it didn't speak to me emotionally the way it seemed to a lot of other people. It had a lot of Pathos but the writing didn't really keep up with it. The dialogue went out of its way to spell out things the visuals communicated just fine. Again, to me it feels like Black Panther being nominated, an attempt to throw a bone to the general audience by nominating a comic book movie.

Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Chimpzy said:
thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.
I meant as a whole. I also wanted that the first comment is just a few words of dry sarcasm. Success.

Also it's Mister Bong, not miss...

Nov 28, 2007
Chimpzy said:
thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.

...I feel bad that I did indeed overlook Bong Joon-ho. It still doesn't detract from the overall point of how skewed the demographics are, but when I say someone was the ONLY non-white nomination, and I overlook the other non-white nomination, it kind of makes me look like an idiot.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I?ve seen people upset that Joker got any nominations and I?m laughing. I guarantee the controversy with people hoping there?d be a shooting and expecting it to be a call to arms for the dreaded white male incels to kill everyone who isn?t a white male gave the people at the Academy an excuse to shower it with noms cause outrage articles keep them relevant.

However, this is the best Animated category I?ve seen in awhile. Missing Link already won with the GG, Klaus got nominated and that?s a great new holiday classic.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Chimpzy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
Italian Americans ain't WASP.
Still white tho. Or is someone who isn't Anglo-Saxon descended and protestant not white enough?
By that standard I think yes.
Well, that certainly is super dumb. Who the fuck thought of that delineation of what constitutes "real" whiteness?

Was it white supremacists? Cuz it sounds like something those morons would conjure up to create even more of an "us vs them" mindset for themselves.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Well, that certainly is super dumb. Who the fuck thought of that delineation of what constitutes "real" whiteness?

Was it white supremacists? Cuz it sounds like something those morons would conjure up to create even more of an "us vs them" mindset for themselves.
White supremacists are particularly notable for their exacting definitions of whiteness. Usually it starts at North European (i.e. Scandinavia / Germany / British Isles), because Southern Europeans have darker skin which surely puts them one step closer to the untermensch, and the Slavs have pale skin but migrated into Europe from an Asia-type direction back in the day so they go down a rung too [footnote]Of course we all came out of Africa originally, but that gets conveniently overlooked[/footnote].

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Agema said:
White supremacists are particularly notable for their exacting definitions of whiteness. Usually it starts at North European (i.e. Scandinavia / Germany / British Isles), because Southern Europeans have darker skin which surely puts them one step closer to the untermensch, and the Slavs have pale skin but migrated into Europe from an Asia-type direction back in the day so they go down a rung too.
Yes, I know. Like I said, stupid.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.

Other than that, that's a nice list. People are going on and on about the fact that it's mostly white men again, but have you considered the fact that the nominated movies really are the best movies of the year? Because they pretty much are.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Adam Jensen said:
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.

Other than that, that's a nice list. People are going on and on about the fact that it's mostly white men again, but have you considered the fact that the nominated movies really are the best movies of the year? Because they pretty much are.
Amazing that you could get anything out of the incoherent mess that's Bob's take on Joker.

Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Specter Von Baren said:
Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.