Academy Award/Oscar Nominations 2020

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.
Don't know if I'd call it Oscar bait, but it was certainly desperate in trying to appear profound and meaningful. It's up there with Sucker Punch, where the director is seriously punching above their weight. That dramatic bathroom dance scene was bordering on parody.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the ?Last Movie You Watched? thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn?t care less about Oscars, I?m am absolutely astounded it?s been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
McElroy said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.
Imagine not focusing on the race and just seeing good movies getting awards cause they're just good movies and nothing more.

This is a very American perspective, too, since this is all still Hollywood films for the most part (outside of like, the foreign categories and that one random Korean film). Growing up in Europe I always saw the nation first, so whether you had black or white Hollywood actors, it was all the same cause it's all still American actors in American movies.

Should I just not care by this point cause it's just "Americans giving award to Americans"? Does that make sense to you? Cause this is basically what you're doing here lol.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?
I haven't seen it, but I could certainly see that being a thing.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.

And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dreiko said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.

And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.
This really is just an American qualm, but then the ceremony is also American, meant to reward American movies (foreign category nods aside). I'm pretty sure nobody else around the globe cares about the racial bouquet of the nominees.

I wish they'd just accept the odds that they're probably not going to have a perfectly multiracial ballot in EVERY category EVERY year in a country that is three-quarters WASP, and reward people for their technical and artistic proficiency without giving two shits about their skin color.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dreiko said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

This really is just an American qualm, but then the ceremony is also American, meant to reward American movies (foreign category nods aside). I'm pretty sure nobody else around the globe cares about the racial bouquet of the nominees.

I wish they'd just accept the odds that they're probably not going to have a perfectly multiracial ballot in EVERY category EVERY year in a country that is three-quarters WASP, and reward people for their technical and artistic proficiency without giving two shits about their skin color.
Yeah but you have easily enough dual citizens or foreign national residents in America that you could theoretically apply to them the same consideration you'd give other groups. There's definitely more of em than there are trans people for one.

It's just this huge blind-spot with the intersectional approach where it arbitrarily deems equally insignificant arbitrary personal characteristics people can have as being of differing significance for the benefit of the speaker and due to no actual merit therein. I say just ignore all that noise in its totality.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I'm happy Scarlett Johansson is nominated in both acting categories. I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but I feel like people have been shitting on her for ages when I always thought she was a pretty decent actress.

Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

They should just expand the number of nominees from 5 to 10. I'm pretty sure the "best movie" category used to be limited to 5 movies in the past.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Dreiko said:
McElroy said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.
Imagine not focusing on the race and just seeing good movies getting awards cause they're just good movies and nothing more.

This is a very American perspective, too, since this is all still Hollywood films for the most part (outside of like, the foreign categories and that one random Korean film). Growing up in Europe I always saw the nation first, so whether you had black or white Hollywood actors, it was all the same cause it's all still American actors in American movies.

Should I just not care by this point cause it's just "Americans giving award to Americans"? Does that make sense to you? Cause this is basically what you're doing here lol.
The political fucking about is the most entertaining part of the Oscars. Of almost any award show when you think about it.
Johnny Novgorod said:
The answer is racism. You see, the movies must have diverse casts and production teams so when the diverse audience watches them they feel they are included.

Wintermute said:
Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.
Exactly. The more you shake up those old sponges the better. The louder the groaning of the media the better. Controversy for the win.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN' all over the place if Joker didn't get the most nominations.
And guaranteed if it doesn't win ALL its nominations, 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN'

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wintermute said:
I'm happy Scarlett Johansson is nominated in both acting categories. I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but I feel like people have been shitting on her for ages when I always thought she was a pretty decent actress.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

They should just expand the number of nominees from 5 to 10. I'm pretty sure the "best movie" category used to be limited to 5 movies in the past.
Not a bad idea.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

The Academy Awards is the ceremony where the US film industry celebrates itself so it's good for it's own image if it actually promotes the work of minority actors. (As for the demographics, the US is about 75% white, so your chances of picking ten white Americans at random from the whole population are 0.75?⁰, which is about 5.6%, so a highly unlikely but not negligibly unlikely outcome)

Banderas is from Andalusia so he doesn't really count as a Latino.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
09philj said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

The Academy Awards is the ceremony where the US film industry celebrates itself so it's good for it's own image if it actually promotes the work of minority actors. (As for the demographics, the US is about 75% white, so your chances of picking ten white Americans at random from the whole population are 0.75?⁰, which is about 5.6%, so a highly unlikely but not negligibly unlikely outcome)

Banderas is from Andalusia so he doesn't really count as a Latino.
"Hispanic" is the word I was going for.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Silentpony said:
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN' all over the place if Joker didn't get the most nominations.
And guaranteed if it doesn't win ALL its nominations, 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN'
An argument you could probably silence in about three seconds by pointing to both 1917 and Ford vs. Ferrari. I mean, I get that there are things in life that blow chunks and I don't mind a movie being made about it, even a bad one. But having the fucking Joker as your mouthpiece of societal ills just seems....self-defeating.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
An argument you could probably silence in about three seconds by pointing to both 1917 and Ford vs. Ferrari. I mean, I get that there are things in life that blow chunks and I don't mind a movie being made about it, even a bad one. But having the fucking Joker as your mouthpiece of societal ills just seems....self-defeating.
Joker is the type of movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's for uneducated masses who can't tell the difference between a true work of art and a pretentious mess that's trying to imitate the original work that inspired it. It's why I'm glad that Joker exists. You get to see all who all of those people are.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Silentpony said:
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry ...
Things like Joker are liked for nominations because the Oscars are really about Hollywood slapping it's own back (that's why most of the rest of the world's film output is generally shunted into the "Best Foreign Picture" category). As Hollywood business is basically about blockbusters but lots of Academy members feel a little bit awkward that modern blockbusters are usually as dumb as a box of rocks, when one turns up that they feel isn't they'll throw it a lot of attention.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Xprimentyl said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the ?Last Movie You Watched? thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn?t care less about Oscars, I?m am absolutely astounded it?s been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here?
It was a very compelling and, for Tarantino, unusually sentimental portrayal of Hollywoods Golden Age. If you go into it expecting much of a plot you won't get anything out of it but as a series of at best loosely connected episodes about a small handful of characters living and working in that environment it's very enjoyable. And I guess there is a lot of subtext and commentary about that specific era in there. About the American film industry, its evolution and public perception.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Xprimentyl said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
It was a very compelling and, for Tarantino, unusually sentimental portrayal of Hollywoods Golden Age. If you go into it expecting much of a plot you won't get anything out of it but as a series of at best loosely connected episodes about a small handful of characters living and working in that environment it's very enjoyable. And I guess there is a lot of subtext and commentary about that specific era in there. About the American film industry, its evolution and public perception.
I can't say it felt like anything other than watching Tarantino at the playground. Like, was there any point to Sharon Tate in the movie, other than 'That's Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate'? She has no connection to DiCaprio's or Pitt's character, and spends the entire movie just kinda faffing about. People who know about Sharon Tate will have the proper reaction to the ending regardless, and people who don't know won't realize what the ending is supposed to express anyway.

I think the only scenes I liked were on the Mason ranch, DiCaprio's trailer freak-out, and the very last scene which is all happy and care free, but obviously very tragic because that's ofcourse not how it went. Other than that this movie felt like a big bunch of nothing.

Also, why did Margaret Qualley have such fake looking armpit hair? They couldn't just grow that out, or was it somekind of Henry Cavill moustash situation?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I can't say it felt like anything other than watching Tarantino at the playground. Like, was there any point to Sharon Tate in the movie, other than 'That's Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate'?
Never underestimate people's ability to not know stuff, including Tate's famous demise: she'll be in in some part to make sure people know who she is. But it's more than that: she's included to give us some empathy with her to add emotional heft to her onrushing fate; her lightness and joy to represent the happy face of the era (in contrast, perhaps, to the grim psychos of the Manson clan) or maybe DiCaprio's fading star.

...and the very last scene which is all happy and care free, but obviously very tragic because that's ofcourse not how it went.
Maybe. I think it was quite an achievement. Not knowing the movie ending, I got to the final reel thinking "Surely even Tarantino can't show us this" with a huge sense of foreboding... and then he blows it out of the water with cartoonish elan. It's... I don't know it's brilliant and in ways it's jarring, but it's just so striking and memorable.

Other than that this movie felt like a big bunch of nothing.
One might say that about a lot of Tarantino movies, or parts of Tarantino movies. I might wonder if it's to miss the point, perhaps - they're a lot about characters and characters interacting rather than plot happening.