Academy Award Winners

Nov 28, 2007
Well, after all is said and done, tonight was the ceremony for the Oscars. With that, there were some wins.

Best Picture- Parasite (1)

Actor in a Leading Role- Joaquin Phoenix for Joker (1)

Actress in a Leading Role- Renee Zellweger for Judy (1)

Actress in a Supporting Role- Laura Dern for Marriage Story (1)

Actor in a Supporting Role- Brad Pitt for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (1)

Directing- Bong Joon Ho for Parasite (2)

Adapted Screenplay- Jojo Rabbit (1)

Original Screenplay- Parasite (3)

International Feature Film- Parasite (4)

Production Design- Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (2)

Film Editing- Ford v Ferrari (1)

Cinematography- 1917 (1)

Visual Effects- 1917 (2)

Costume Design- Little Women (1)

Sound Mixing- 1917 (3)

Sound Editing- Ford v Ferrari (2)

Original Score- Joker (2)

Documentary Feature- American Factory (1)

Documentary Short Feature- Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (1)

Makeup and Hairstyling- Bombshell (1)

Animated Feature Film- Toy Story 4 (1)

Animated Short Film- Hair Love (1)

Live-Action Short Film- The Neighbors' Window (1)

Original Song- "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" from Rocketman (1)

Biggest Winner- Parasite, with 4 wins

My thoughts on the winners:

It was a pretty big surprise to see Parasite walk out with the most wins, including being the first completely non-English movie to win the big award. It was also nice to see Brad Pitt and Joaquin Phoenix win their first Oscars. The only winners I've seen are Joker and Rocketman, so I can't really comment much beyond that. Overall, though, the general feeling I get is that no one was really robbed, other than maybe in the Best Supporting Actor category, which was a really packed category to pick a winner from.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oh wow, Parasite won fairly big. Deserved tho. I would definitely recommend it. Tip: go in blind.

And yeah, I can get behind most of these winners. Except maybe The Irishman for Cinematography. It looks good, to be sure, but not exceptionally so. Not really sure what the reasoning behind that could be.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Well, after all is said and done, tonight was the ceremony for the Oscars. With that, there were some wins.

Cinematography- The Irishman (1)

Visual Effects- 1917 (1)

Sound Mixing- 1917 (2)

Documentary Short Feature- Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (1)

It was a pretty big surprise to see Parasite walk out with the most wins, including being the first completely non-English movie to win the big award. It was also nice to see Brad Pitt and Joaquin Phoenix win their first Oscars. The only winners I've seen are Joker and Rocketman, so I can't really comment much beyond that. Overall, though, the general feeling I get is that no one was really robbed, other than maybe in the Best Supporting Actor category, which was a really packed category to pick a winner from.
Chimpzy said:
Oh wow, Parasite won fairly big. Deserved tho. I would definitely recommend it. Tip: go in blind.

And yeah, I can get behind most of these winners. Except maybe The Irishman for Cinematography. It looks good, to be sure, but not exceptionally so. Not really sure what the reasoning behind that could be.
The Irishman didn't win cinematography, Roger Deakins won (rightfully!) for 1917.
As for Parasite being the big winner last night: it's a great movie, but sweeping *every* major category like that while rendering obsolete the disctinction between "movie" and "foreign movie" feels like a calculated PC move championing the "immigrant" movie as no less American than every other nominee. It's also convenient when *every* presenter criticizes the ceremony for being too normative. If it were up to me it would've gotten Foreign Picture and Original Screenplay alone. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood should've gotten everything else. Also great wins for Pitt, Phoenix and Dern. Haven't seen Judy.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
The Irishman didn't win cinematography, Roger Deakins won (rightfully!) for 1917.
You, sir, are correct. Also, yes, 1917 for best cinematography makes much more sense.

As for Parasite being the big winner last night: it's a great movie, but sweeping *every* major category like that while rendering obsolete the disctinction between "movie" and "foreign movie" feels like a calculated PC move championing the "immigrant" movie as no less American than every other nominee. It's also convenient when *every* presenter criticizes the ceremony for being too normative. If it were up to me it would've gotten Foreign Picture and Original Screenplay alone. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood should've gotten everything else. Also great wins for Pitt, Phoenix and Dern. Haven't seen Judy.
Or they could just not nominate non-English language movies for Best Picture anymore, and reserve it for Anglosphere movies only. Because that's basically what it's been the past 91 editions before this one.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh shit is it the 1950s still? I'll get my black and white champagne and creepy wife!

Seriously, who still cares/watches the Oscars? People you don't know get awards from other people you don't know, about movies you may or may not have seen, all of which is shady backroom deals.
I mean who here was in the Joker deserves best Film Editing camp and how are you coping with Ford and Fiesta winning instead?

Good for Parasite for taking several awards. I've never heard of it, nor has anyone I know ever mentioned it, but good for it I guess.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Seriously, who still cares/watches the Oscars?
30 million people, give or take.

Good for Parasite for taking several awards. I've never heard of it, nor has anyone I know ever mentioned it, but good for it I guess.
Why do you care if "people you don't know get awards from other people you don't know, about movies you may or may not have seen, all of which is shady backroom deals."

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I remember this morning when I woke up after the awards had already been given out and having actual tears of joy in my eyes once I found out that Parasite had won. Seriously, I've seen it and it is just So. Good.. And the chance that it would win I considered slim to none, so it was a major surprise.

Having now sobered up on the joy rush, I'm starting to get a bit cynical. It is a well known fact that it is a viable business strategy for studios to spend a whole bunch of their marketing on putting their movie under the eyes of Academy voters, a strategy the Weinsteins perfected. Parasite obviously has a marketing budget, some of which must've gone to getting it showing for Academy voters, but the difference between it and other films is that it's from a country that has an explicit goal of putting its culture on the world map. Meaning that its win could more reflect a larger marketing apparatus than an honest collective opinion, however that might be defined.

I mean if that is the case then it won't take away my opinion of it being a great film that deserves accolades, but it will be a bit of a downer.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
As much as I love movies, I can't say I feel very strongly about the annual Rich People Patting Each Others Back Ceremony but good on Bong for taking Best Picture. I was backing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I will still say that Brad Pitt siccing his dog on Tex Watson was the most cathartic moment in any 2019 movie but Parasite still earned its award. Can't say I have any issues with the other choices. Joaquin Phoenix really managed to elevate Joker despite having to work with some incredibly awkward dialogue,and while I'm not a big fan of war movies I can't say I disagree with 1917 getting cinematography and effects.

Nothing terribly offensive or terribly surprising otherwise. It's funny Joker won less Oscars than Black Panther. Well, actually, it's funny Black Panther won any Oscars in the first place, but let's not dwell on last year.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
As for Parasite being the big winner last night: it's a great movie, but sweeping *every* major category like that while rendering obsolete the disctinction between "movie" and "foreign movie" feels like a calculated PC move championing the "immigrant" movie as no less American than every other nominee.
Best foreign [language] movie is simply an outdated category, relevant really to the times when Hollywood was pretty much the only game in town. On the other hand, it does provide valuable free marketing for non-English language films.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Parasite did very well and Joker got the male lead oscar so I really have no complaints here outside of their animated category being trash as usual haha. They didn't even nominate Tenki no ko.

Nov 28, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
thebobmaster said:

Cinematography- The Irishman (1)

Visual Effects- 1917 (1)

Sound Mixing- 1917 (2)

Chimpzy said:

My mistake. Or rather, my source's mistake, but I should have double-checked all of the awards to be safe. I'll get that edited post-haste.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:

Why do you care if "people you don't know get awards from other people you don't know, about movies you may or may not have seen, all of which is shady backroom deals."
I don't care. I didn't watch the Oscars and Im legit amazed people still do. More over I'm amazed people get passionate about what wins.
Like this dude looses his shit over Parasite winning, as if he personally had a stake in Joker or something

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:
Jeez. I kinda find funny how he says a foreign film shouldn't be allowed to be nominated as best film (he kinda implies American movies have no chance against foreign films whatsoever).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Silentpony said:
Jeez. I kinda find funny how he says a foreign film shouldn't be allowed to be nominated as best film (he kinda implies American movies have no chance against foreign films whatsoever).
I understand his point on 'foreign films' not being in the 'best picture' category as the 'foreign film' cat is for movies not produced in the Hollywood system. I'm not sure I agree, and certainly don't care, but I understand it. The rest is just absurd mad barking.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Silentpony said:
Like this dude looses his shit over Parasite winning, as if he personally had a stake in Joker or something
When you're such a big fan of joker you end up making a clown of yourself.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:

I don't care. I didn't watch the Oscars and Im legit amazed people still do. More over I'm amazed people get passionate about what wins.
I?ve little passion for movies and even less for the pageantry of the Oscars, so imagine my ?joy? when the girlfriend insisted that we watch them. Let me tell you, from experience, there is no drink stiff enough in quantities abundant enough to combat the sheer inanity of watching the Oscars. The cringeworthy moments when presenters try and cut corny jokes to the inevitable polite-if-uncomfortable laughter, the senseless musical interludes that serve only to pad runtime, the rambling speeches that are basically repeated point-for-point by each recipient, etc. Thank God my gf fell asleep and we didn?t have to finish watching, but curse that same God that I was only spared the last 20 minutes.

But, like you, as little as I care, I do kinda see where the neckbeard?s coming from. #Murica

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Chimpzy said:
Silentpony said:
When you're such a big fan of joker you end up making a clown of yourself.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Toy Story 3 was nominated for best picture and best animated picture in its year. Overlap has occured before. And wouldn't Once Upon a Time in Hollywood winning just feel like yet another example of the Oscar Commmitee prefering movies celebrating Hollywood? I mean, it's the first non-english speaking movie to ever win a best picture, it was pretty highly regarded from what I've heard, and it's probably not going to happen again for the next 7 years atleast. Is it really so bad to just let Parasite have it this year?