According to the Japanese, the most satisfying game last year was... Halo?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Japanese gaming magazine Gamaga surveyed its readers about the most satisfying game they played last year. http://i56.tinypic.com/15h0i6d.jpg

Yep. A non-RPG, non-Japanses title.

1. Halo: Reach 9.5

2. The Legend of Heroes ZERO NO KISEKI 9.4

3. Disgaea 4 9.3

4. Dragon Age: Origins 9.2

5. Blazblue Continuum Shift 9.2

6. Dream C Club 9.2

7. AKB1/48 Idol wo Koi Shitara 9.2

8. Red Dead Redemption 9.2

9. Atelier Totori 9.2

10. Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu 9.2

Mind you, this is not representative of the sales figures, but rather that of 'satisfaction'. I know Reach is a good game, but still, this took me by surprise...

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Not surprised. Some of my top games for 2010 were made in Japan. A quality game is a quality game.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Not surprised. Some of my top games for 2010 were made in Japan. A quality game is a quality game.
My surprise stemmed from the fact that the XBox360 never sold very well in Japan. Halo should be niche there, but it still topped the survey. Quite impressive in that regard, I'd say.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
My surprise stemmed from the fact that the XBox360 never sold very well in Japan. Halo should be niche there, but it still topped the survey. Quite impressive in that regard, I'd say.
Can't help a game being awesome, though. Continuum Shift is niche here, but it has a very strong, vocal fanbase. I expect the same can be said for Reach in Japan.

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
im pretty sure that the total amount of time spent playing halo:reach was something like 80,000 years in december...

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Huh. A tad suprising. Not unworthy though. Kudos to Bungie. They know how to make great games.

This is just one magazine's survey though right?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Yeah, considering how the Japanese gaming scene is apparently pretty isolated and the 360 is considered purely an otaku-product, that's pretty surprising.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Aha, this is because, despite what people tell you, halo is /DAMN/ fun to play. The thrill of knocking out a warthogs back wheel and hitting it with a grenade launcher and watching it pop into the air before exploding is a marvelous thing.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I'd have to look at the people who actually took this survey to try and explain this. I'm assuming the people who took this survey were subscribers to this gamer magazine. The demographic Gamer is probably the exact niche that buys xboxs in Japan. The fact that Halo Reach was well received by this particular niche in japan isn't that surprising.

Squigie

Nov 20, 2009
It makes some sense that a niche title could have a greater average satisfaction. More widely appealing titles might have a smaller proportion of fervent fans.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Well, filling an alien full of lead then punching them hitting them in the face with the butt of your rifle is pretty damn satisfying.