Ace Attorney 5 Coming to North America

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

The latest entry in the courtroom saga is getting an English translation and a new name: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney-Duel Destinies.

It's been some time since the scales of justice have tilted in the favor of Phoenix Wright fans. With 2010's Ace Attorney Investigations being something of a <a href=http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/27423285/Why_Arent_You_Localizing_Ace_Attorney_Investigations_2?pg=3>sales disappointment in North America, Capcom has since been somewhat reluctant to bring new Ace Attorney games out of Japan. A Professor Layton/Pheonix Wright crossover game announced in 2010 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104551-Professor-Layton-Phoenix-Wright-Crossover-for-Japan-Only-Says-Capcom>never received an English translation. The announcement of Ace Attorney 5 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123333-Ace-Attorney-5-Sees-The-Return-of-Phoenix-Wright>earlier this year, had many fearing a similarly limited release was in store.

Happily, that won't be the case. Capcom has revealed that Ace Attorney 5, retitled as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney-Dual Destines, will be coming to North America and Europe this fall. The new game will drop players back in the shoes of Phoenix Wright, who had previously taken a supporting role in 2008's Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Taking place eight years after the events of that game, Dual Destinies sets the titular attorney to the task of uncovering the truth behind a destroyed courtroom.

Like previous Ace Attorney games, Dual Destinies' gameplay will center around investigation and courtroom sequences where the player must interview witnesses, ferret out their lies, and use the truth against them. Similar to earlier entries, Dual Destinies will also mix in some wackier elements to diversify the experience. Whereas other installments have included spirit mediums and psyche-lockes, Dual Destinies will give players access to the psychoanalysis ability, which can be used to determine a witness's emotional status and help determine when they're lying.

While the game's English localization is excellent news, it does come with some caveats. Whereas Japan will be privy to a full retail release, American and European versions will be digital only. According to Capcom, a physical release outside of Japan would have cost too much. "Historically it's been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles," said a Capcom representative in a statement. "With the release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies we wanted as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game for as long as possible. With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop."

It's a move that's likely to disappoint fans hoping to add a physical copy to their collections. That said, when you consider that we might not have gotten an official English version otherwise, it's an easier pill to swallow. No specific release date has been announced for the North American and European releases. The Japanese version, meanwhile, will be hitting store shelves on July 25th.

Source: <a href=www.polygon.com/2013/5/13/4326776/ace-attorney-5-dual-destinies-3ds-us-north-america-release-date>Polygon

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Well all right. Glad this is coming stateside. I've been craving something a little more mentally stimulating recently.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Things like this make it easier and easier to cast off being a physical collector. I just got Dragon's Dogma and Deadly Premonition digitally because all my money was in Paypal, and it's getting easier to just accept this as the way forward. If digital is the only way we get Ace Attorney 5, then I'd rather have it that way than not at all.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Looks like I'm buying a 3DS soon. This and the new pokemon are enough for me to get it.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I wish we'd get that second Investigations game but Ace Attorney 5 is fine with me. I never got into Apollo Justice like I did the Ace Attorney series.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
All right Capcom, maybe you're not so bad, after all!

No no, I haven't forgotten Mega Man. That was pretty bad. I need Mega Man.

Still, this is some kind of improvement. I'll take it. And by that I mean I'll gladly buy a copy.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Now we just need an EU version because Nintendo are complete bastards.

Edit: There is a EU release after all. Whew. Shame it didn't merit 6 characters in the title.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
My only worry is Capcom charging full price for a game that is only DD.

Still would like AAI2 but this is better.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Well, a digital release is better than no release, I guess. I just hope it's better localized than Apollo Justice. That game had very little pop culture references and overall the dialogue was bland; I rarely laughed during that game, and that was a real let down. However, I'm still excited for a new game. :)

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Well, I'm split. I really want this, but I also would have vastly preferred a retail release, since the digital purchases for the 3DS kinda stink, since there's no universal account to track your purchases, so if your 3DS dies, you are screwed. Gonna be needing a bigger SD card when the holidays roll around.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
What? A new Phoenix Wright game? Outside of Japan?! ON THE 3DS??!
Oh come now. April 1st was a month and a half ago.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
StewShearer said:

The latest entry in the courtroom saga is getting an English translation and a new name: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney-Duel Destinies.

It's been some time since the scales of justice have tilted in the favor of Phoenix Wright fans. With 2010's Ace Attorney Investigations being something of a <a href=http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/27423285/Why_Arent_You_Localizing_Ace_Attorney_Investigations_2?pg=3>sales disappointment in North America, Capcom has since been somewhat reluctant to bring new Ace Attorney games out of Japan. A Professor Layton/Pheonix Wright crossover game announced in 2010 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104551-Professor-Layton-Phoenix-Wright-Crossover-for-Japan-Only-Says-Capcom>never received an English translation. The announcement of Ace Attorney 5 <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123333-Ace-Attorney-5-Sees-The-Return-of-Phoenix-Wright>earlier this year, had many fearing a similarly limited release was in store.

Happily, that won't be the case. Capcom has revealed that Ace Attorney 5, retitled as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney-Dual Destines, will be coming to North America and Europe this fall. The new game will drop players back in the shoes of Phoenix Wright, who had previously taken a supporting role in 2008's Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Taking place eight years after the events of that game, Dual Destinies sets the titular attorney to the task of uncovering the truth behind a destroyed courtroom.

Like previous Ace Attorney games, Dual Destinies' gameplay will center around investigation and courtroom sequences where the player must interview witnesses, ferret out their lies, and use the truth against them. Similar to earlier entries, Dual Destinies will also mix in some wackier elements to diversify the experience. Whereas other installments have included spirit mediums and psyche-lockes, Dual Destinies will give players access to the psychoanalysis ability, which can be used to determine a witness's emotional status and help determine when they're lying.

While the game's English localization is excellent news, it does come with some caveats. Whereas Japan will be privy to a full retail release, American and European versions will be digital only. According to Capcom, a physical release outside of Japan would have cost too much. "Historically it's been tough to attract long term retail support for Ace Attorney titles," said a Capcom representative in a statement. "With the release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies we wanted as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game for as long as possible. With that in mind we have opted for a digital only release via the Nintendo 3DS eShop."

It's a move that's likely to disappoint fans hoping to add a physical copy to their collections. That said, when you consider that we might not have gotten an official English version otherwise, it's an easier pill to swallow. No specific release date has been announced for the North American and European releases. The Japanese version, meanwhile, will be hitting store shelves on July 25th.

Source: <a href=www.polygon.com/2013/5/13/4326776/ace-attorney-5-dual-destinies-3ds-us-north-america-release-date>Polygon

I think the article requires a bit of a fix, it might confuse people into thinking that the release is exclusively North America, and not youknow.. The west in general.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Nikolaz72 said:
StewShearer said:
I think the article requires a bit of a fix, it might confuse people into thinking that the release is exclusively North America, and not youknow.. The west in general.
Yeah, i came to this with a cry of "EUROPE! NOW! YOU TITS!". Seriously considered buying a 3DS while i'm over here in the states and knee-capping the idea of getting the next Pokemon Gen. Glad to hear that won't be necessary >_>

OT: Fucking finally. Now if we could get that Prof. Layton vs. Ace Attorney game translated that'd be the sweetest thing to happen to humanity since Oreos.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
good times. At least the reaction over here isn't as bad as other places. Seriously, the very mention of a digital release some places had people throwing a fit.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Don't like the fact that it is only for Digital Download, but I'll probably buy it eventually. Also don't like how the guy who did Phoenix in UMvC3 is returning, but that's more of a personal matter (honestly, I think he would fit better as Apollo than Phoenix.).

Can't wait, although I still have to get the Investigations with Miles Edgeworth eventually...