Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice Review - Disorder in The Court

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice Review - Disorder in The Court

Spirit of Justice takes Phoenix Wright to a foreign land where lawyers are treated as criminals.

Read Full Article

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
I found the marketing of this game to be lacking. I did not even know this game was being released in the States until three days ago by chance coincidence.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
"Maya's been arrested!" OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, AGAIN!? Do we have to defend her again? We've done it twice already! And Trucy is getting in on it too? Oh come on Ace Attorney, you've got interesting female characters, stop arbitrarily putting them in danger just because they're Wright's assistants. Maya needing help is something that's been done to death anyway.

But yeah. I wasn't totally against the idea of more mysticism, but even I think executing defense lawyers is just getting cartoony. Then again I one gripe I had with the series is that the entire universe seems to hate Phoenix and he's the ass of too many jokes and things going wrong. And how everything is biased against him.

Phoenix: "Why would my client commit murder? There's no motive!"

Judge: "Sometimes people kill without motives."

*Later*

Phoenix: "This person is guilty, I found proof!"

Prosecution: "Well it arbitrarily means nothing if they didn't have a motive"

Phoenix: "But when I say my client had to motive-"

Prosecution: "WHAT WAS THE MOTIVE MR. WRIGHT!?"

Phoenix: "I'm doing your job for you, aren't I?"

But in the end, Ace Attorney is Ace Attorney, and I'll probably pick it up. Though after this review, I'll wait for a price drop.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
SirSullymore said:
Was never big on the mystic aspects of this series, gonna skip this one.
Spiritism has been here since case 1.
It isn't surprising to see the trend continues and strengthens.

On the lore side, it also logical that, given real mediums are common, some legal systems would be built around them and their abilities to bring back the dead.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
mtarzaim02 said:
SirSullymore said:

On the lore side, it also logical that, given real mediums are common, some legal systems would be built around them and their abilities to bring back the dead.
He didn't say that it wasn't. He said that he wasn't a fan of it. It was easy to like the earlier games while still not be a fan of the mysticism, particularly since it took a backseat most of the time.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kyle Winston said:
I found the marketing of this game to be lacking. I did not even know this game was being released in the States until three days ago by chance coincidence.
That's Capcom for ya. Unless it has Ryu or Jill Valentine in it they will neglect it. Then they'll point at the poor sales from lack of advertising and refuse to localize future games.

Fuck Capcom.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
erttheking said:
mtarzaim02 said:
SirSullymore said:

He didn't say that it wasn't. He said that he wasn't a fan of it. It was easy to like the earlier games while still not be a fan of the mysticism, particularly since it took a backseat most of the time.
Thanks! Also, to my recollection, spiritualism has been around since case TWO!

Yeah the magical stuff was always there, but this is the first time it's the actual focus of the game and will be the center piece of most of the cases.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I thought the writing was weakening in Dual Destinies, so if this game is even weaker... guess I'll finally be making a break with this series. Shame, but it had a good run. Guess I'll see about looking for that crossover game with Prof Layton.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
----- mistake, please delete >_< ------

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Steven Bogos said:
Ace Attoreny - Spirit of Justice Review - Disorder in The Court

Spirit of Justice takes Phoenix Wright to a foreign land where lawyers are treated as criminals.

Read Full Article
Spellcheck 'attoreny' please.

I pretty much never do this, but the article is really bothersome to look at. Maybe because the mistake is in the title, and it's on the front page.

Kyle Winston

Jul 22, 2013
SupahEwok said:
I thought the writing was weakening in Dual Destinies, so if this game is even weaker... guess I'll finally be making a break with this series. Shame, but it had a good run. Guess I'll see about looking for that crossover game with Prof Layton.
Ehhh... I would not. I am a fan of both series, but I did not care for that crossover. It felt like someone took two half-finished games and stuck them together. It has an incredibly weak story for an Ace Attorney game that relies WAY too much on contrivances and pseudo-science, and stretched my suspension of disbelief. The puzzles are a mixed bag, but there were not a lot (under 100, less than the first Layton game).

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
0/10 no more Simon Quill, won't be buying.

No but seriously, if the writing is so weak then that's a problem because there's a LOT of writing in those games. It was also pretty cringe-y because... I dunno, it's hard to put my finger on.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
SupahEwok said:
I'll have to be the dissenting opinion here, I guess. I'm a huge fan of Shu Takumi's original trilogy, and like most I feel that while the technology that drives the games has improved in displaying the stories, the writing has suffered outside of Edgeworth's 2 spin-offs.

I enjoyed Dual Destinies because it's an AA game and honestly I'll play any game in this genre/series a couple times each, but the writing was a fucking trainwreck. The 3D animations were great, the rotating rooms for examination streamlined a process that could get arduous and tedious in the trilogy, and the production was better than ever...but games like AA live or die on their writing. The DLC chapter that both fit and didn't fit and was already in the game, the drawn-out and boring as hell Tenma Taro 2nd episode, Athena's story and its mountain of contrivances that applied to the double-feature fourth and fifth episodes...the writing didn't match the evolution of the technological advances at all.

Spirit of Justice isn't perfect, but to me it's the first time that it feels like the writing has not only come close to the bar set by the trilogy, and that the technological advances of DD actually work in service of the writing instead of just flashy-ness. At $30, if you liked the original trilogy I highly recommend it unless you were somehow turned off by the spiritual elements of them, as there isn't anything more ridiculous in that regard than the wild spiritual switcheroo of the 3rd game's climax. To me, the kingdom of Kur'hain and the nature of its legal system raised the stakes and made me pause a few times, even though I know its a video game and you can just retry if you lose.

I just respectfully disagree with Steven here. I never considered the series grounded in reality all that much, and having silliness and puns and mysticism to offset the grave nature of the crimes has always been what makes the series great. I'd rather have the psychic elements and an increase of the bizarre than crazy contrivances and a failure to establish a good overarching plot across all the cases. There's also more "meat" to this one, you don't get short filler cases and a lot of the extra hours are balanced more towards the "good stuff" to me.

P.S. While I didn't regret playing the Layton crossover, it's more of a Layton game than an AA one and it's a weaker game than any in either the Layton or the AA series. The mixture just wasn't executed well and a lot was lost in translation as well. If you didn't like Dual Destinies, I definitely recommend this new one over the Layton crossover for sure, or at least playing the two Investigations games with Edgeworth if you somehow haven't.