Acer Unveils a Tiny, Modular PC That You Can Stack Like LEGO

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Acer Unveils a Tiny, Modular PC That You Can Stack Like LEGO

Acer's new PC, named the Revo Build, will allow users to swap parts in and out, and stack the pieces like LEGO bricks.

Now, most PC gamers will have heard people tell them they should build their own computers. That's how you save money; get exactly what you need an nothing more; and end up with an object you created, that you can have fun with in your own way.

PC makers are certainly listening in on those conversations. On the heels of Razer's Project Christine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131100-Razers-Project-Christine-Combines-PC-Power-With-Console-Simplicity], Acer is stepping into the modular computer world with the Revo Build. This miniscule (5 inches square) piece of tech is made of distinct blocks, representing its hard drive, processor, graphics card, and so on.

These blocks slot into each other via magnetically aligned pins, allowing you to stack the PC like LEGO. In fact, you can build an actual computer tower. Computer technology is in a strange place [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/14544-Moore-s-Law-Slow-of-Better-Circuits-Effects-On-Modern-Gaming], right now.

[gallery=4646]

There is not a lot of information on the ground, but with Revo's release date fast approaching (October of this year, whereas we still don't have a release for the competition from Razer), we should be learning more soon.

What we don't know yet that I'm most curious about is how efficiently do these "magnetically aligned pins" transfer information between blocks? What GPU is it sporting, and how easily can that be swapped? Am I going to be playing Invisible War [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142199-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-Release-Date-Announcement]?

But there may be a more important question here: is this better-looking than Razer's version? I'm thinking yes, myself, but Project Christine does spend all its time bathed in shadow [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/gallery/view/26/131100/1995.3].

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/09/acer-unveils-the-revo-build-a-tiny-modular-stackable-pc-starting-at-180/]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The next step in PC's has to be this, and I'm hoping that the various issues of heat dissipation/cooling are well managed so we PC game enthusiasts can catch a ride on this absolutely beautiful train. At least it is beautiful to me, if only for the reason that I'm tired of sticking my hand inside a case and having it come out with open wounds as well as organizing wires so that they don't try to mate with spinning fan blades.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I like the concept. Even if this particular model fails, I hope it serves as a good starting point that can be improved upon.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I like the concept, but I think the Gigabyte Brix with the GTX 760 in it was closer to the perfect small PC. All it needed was to be a little bit bigger and have a thin 120mm fan at each end spinning at a low rpm over the internal heat sink, cooling problems solved.

This and the Razer are certainly neat, I wonder if the GPU section contains a PCI-E slot and power connectors to slot in a ITX size GPU or if it's a case of buying the whole box. I wonder the same for the PSU section.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I like this idea a lot. I'm just wondering if graphics horsepower is going to be a problem. Will you be able to chain multiple GPU blocks? Also I'm guessing the main hub will have some storage, because I can see hot swapping drives causing problems otherwise.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
This looks nice and all, but is it open architecture? The PC model we have right now is open for anyone to make modules for and they all work together. It's a big part of the reason that PCs make up around 90% of the market. The same philosophy is why Android dominates so much of the mobile market. I'd like to hear that I have the option of getting these modules from a variety of companies, not just Acer.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Oh, what a lovely neat little design! And Acer's a good company, so I don't think will turn out crappily. My hopes are up and I'm quite excited.

That was serious, by the way.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
PatrickJS said:
allow users to swap parts in and out
So like a normal PC.
PatrickJS said:
and stack the pieces like LEGO bricks
Soooooo like a normal PC with a few less screws.

It looks adorable. It doesn't smell like something that would be high performance, though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Looks neat for sure, and certainly an interesting concept.

Problem is none of those ports look standard to any PC module, so you probably can't get anything else but Acer provided shit in there, which would permanently tie you to their company. Those vents also look horribly undersized for a high powered computer so I wonder if they will go for a low end machine or just let your parts cook as long as they can take it, doesn't help that the hottest two modules are on the bottom.
Looking good has been the selling point for a great many PC boxes before, but proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I want to see this perform in the real world with real tested numbers, possibly with someone brave enough to tear it all down and show the guts.