Achievements, I hope they go away next generation

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
I think they are worthless but even worse, they are used as justification to take away player freedoms like cheat devices and/or offline play.

What say you?

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
Depends.
Some games did them right, like in Dead Rising you actually got something for 'em.
As long as they really convey a feeling of, you know, achievement I like them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crono1973 said:
I think they are worthless but even worse, they are used as justification to take away player freedoms like cheat devices and/or offline play.

What say you?
There's no justification in achievements for taking away online play.

Single player is going away, regardless of achievements, if the gaming industry has its way. Achievements will not go away nor change that.

Personally, I will, as this generation, remain largely ambivalent. If I get 'em, I get 'em. If I don't, I don't. They don't wreck my experience any more than they enhance them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wayne Insane said:
Depends.
Some games did them right, like in Dead Rising you actually got something for 'em.
As long as they really convey a feeling of, you know, achievement I like them.
To be fair, you used to get those things without achievements. In fact, I miss those days, honestly. Unlocks are AWESOME.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If they're worthless, they can't be used as justification for anything... you can still cheat if the game allows it, and the fall of offline play has pretty much nothing to do with achievements.

You can't have it both ways.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
-.- if you need a cheat device to get an achievement, you don't deserve it.

but I'd like to see them be worth pursuing, like tied to some kinda in game 'thingy' unlock, Golden Eye on the N64 was great for this, as it had a TON of cheats built in, just needed to unlock them

Dawn of War2: Retribution, Last Stand mode has 2 per character that net you new gear once you get them.

THIS is the kind of achievement i want to see more of.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
A) They're way too popular, so no, they won't go away.

B) They can provide some extra challenges or goals to a game. Sometimes, they can be fun to go after.

C) If you don't like them, they're easy to ignore. Heck, the 360 has a setting that let's you turn off the achievement notifications.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
I personally agree, although it partly is a reason why people buy games en mass. It's a very clever device.

A friend of a friend has over 750,000 points, it's ridiculous and it's the only reason why he plays games now. But in ways it's his fun, not mine.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Not all achievements need to go...

"Achievement unlocked! - Complete the tutorial"

Shit like that HAS to leave though.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
It's pretty easy for a game to detect a built in cheat so when you us them they turn of the achievements, it's very possible to have both. And I like achievements, sure most are stupid things like complete this level I was going to do that anyways but sense you aren't stopping me from doing the level I don't care, but I do like the ones that give me a extra challenge, it adds about ten extra minutes of play time per achievement for games I like.

The_Raging_Tree

Sep 5, 2011
Capt. Crankypants said:
Not all achievements need to go...

"Achievement unlocked! - Complete the tutorial"

Shit like that HAS to leave though.
I definitly agree to this, I love getting trophys/achievements but I do prefere ones that actually require effort.

"OMG I GOT THE TROPHY FOR COMPLETING THE FIRST LEVEL, I FEEL SO CHALLENGED"

No, have it we have to complete the first level without getting hit or something.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
If they're worthless, they can't be used as justification for anything... you can still cheat if the game allows it, and the fall of offline play has pretty much nothing to do with achievements.

They are worthless to me and achievements are used as justification to not allow EXTERNAL cheat devices or programs. Look at the trainer controversy with Starcraft 2 or the fact there there are no cheat devices on current consoles.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
I don't really mind, but I'd like it better if you actually got an in game benefit with the achievements. Mass Effect is probably the one that comes to mind first here, because one of the achievements lets you unlock the best weapons in the game at certain stores. There are also ones for damage/exp./health modifiers as well but I never really notice them.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Well, it wouldn't be that difficult to have something with cheatcodes, but if any are active, then you don't get achievements. Therefor they don't subtract anything from the game, and anyone claiming the alerts snap them out of their immersion aren't aware of the option to disable alerts. As for them being worthless, they're about as worthless as other aspects of the games. That's the key word there, "game". Beyond their artistic value, they aren't really worth anything.

It's just something that gives you something more to do in your games, which isn't a bad thing. Nobody's forcing you to chase them up, and I know plenty of people who love them.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I don't mind them being there. I'm not going to buy a game just because it has achievements and I'm not going to avoid games that don't have achievements just because they don't have achievements.

I only go after the achievements that interest me in certain games, like Torchlight, I intend to get all of the achievements there. On the other hand, in Worms Reloaded I'm not that fussed to actually try to do the things required to get most of them.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I like the achievement system. Call me brain washed, but i used to not bother with side quests before since you could usually just play the story without them and it would make no difference. With some achievements hanging in the distance i might actually be inclined to side track for a bit just for the sake of earning a trophy. It's kind of a competiting thing too between me and some friends. See who has the most trophies after playing through a game, stuff like that.

I don't really like multipplayer achievements though 'cause i usually feel like there's someone else getting in the way of my performance and that just pisses me off. That's the reason i never got that platinum in AC Brotherhood. Had all the single player ones and a couple online ones, but never got all of them.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Surely it's good for them to at least be there? As a little pick me up or something when you're playing through. It adds replay value for next to no effort on the developers part. So I don't see a problem of them being there.

It would also be neat if they added something to the game play. But surely that wouldn't make them achievements, it would make them perks.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
lacktheknack said:

They are worthless to me and achievements are used as justification to not allow EXTERNAL cheat devices or programs. Look at the trainer controversy with Starcraft 2 or the fact there there are no cheat devices on current consoles.
Correlation =/= causation. If you're looking for things to blame the lack of external cheat devices, then blame A. online multiplayer, and/or B. increased hardware complexity.

Achievements are not insidious.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
It adds replay value, and I don't see anything wrong with that?