Achievements, I hope they go away next generation

scoopz

Sep 15, 2011
Kyogissun said:
Why I Don't Care If Achievements Go Away:

Because then people won't flaunt their e-peen about it and act like they're better than someone else... I'm not talking about casual gloating, I'm talking about like full fledged harassment, people in multiplayer lobbies or in parties who look down on others just because their gamerscore isn't very high.

Why I 'DO' care if achievements go away:

Because I like being able to track what I did in a game in the past and how far I got or what special tasks I completed. Achievements, for me, are just confirmations that I did something and that I can back it up.

So to be honest, I'd like to keep them around, because I like keeping track of my gaming accomplishments like that.
^this^

I also like how some are like mini-challenges.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Crono1973 said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Crono1973 said:
I think they are worthless but even worse, they are used as justification to take away player freedoms like cheat devices and/or offline play.

What say you?
1. "Achievements are worthless"...This one always kinda cracks me up. What exactly are you expecting to gain from playing a game without achievements? It's not like you beat a game and someone hands you a goddamn paycheck. You get achievements for the same reason you play games at all...FUN.

2. "They take away cheats"...It's easy to have cheat modes that disable achievements, games have been doing it for years. And if you don't care about achievements, that shouldn't be a problem.

3. "They take away offline play"....Um....How?

I think anyone who has a problem with achievements is provably (see above) talking out of their ass.
1) They are worthless but they take away freedoms like external cheat devices. So the trade off is bad.

2) I am talking about external cheats and not all games offer cheats

3) Starcraft 2...No achievements while offline. http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/news/12614-no-achievements-while-offline

As for your third point...So what? Isn't not having achievements EXACTLY what you want in the first place?
Yes but let me explain. I'll just copy and paste my response from another post:

Also, when Blizzard disabled Achievements in Starcraft 2 when you are not online that showed a correlation between online play and achievements. In Diablo III you don't even get the offline play choice at all and I believe achievements and their Banner system play a role in that considering how they treated offline achievements in Starcraft 2.

Anyway folks, I get it. Most of you prefer achievements to a gameshark or a trainer and most of you don't mind being forced to play online so they can make sure you aren't cheating to get achievements. There isn't much else to say but thanks for the discussion.

Is everyone getting hit with a Captcha every 2 or 3 posts?

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Their not going away as others have said their way too popular to kill, and they do adf to a game their are certain things I never would have attempted if not for achievements along with giving me something to do the second time around. I think the lack of external cheat devices has far more to do with system security and the fear of modded systems and pirated games than achievements since a fair number of games have built in cheats that disable achievements so an external cheat device could be made to function the same way.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
some achievements are stupid and should be ditched (like the you found the first weapon or completed the tutorial achievement)
just keep the good ones like the TF2 ones.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
I like them. Official bragging rights. Sense of completion. Some of them even encourage the player to play in a different way, like avoiding killing enemies or racing through a level. Thay are nice. If you don't care about them, simply don't collect them and cheat away. Let us achievement caring people have them.

May 29, 2011
I to hate the useless achievements.

I was sorely disappointed to find that HL 2 had fallen for that trap. Only aspect of the game I didn't adore.

GD_Elite

Mar 14, 2011
After just getting my 16th platinum in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I think I might be a bit biased.

My opinion is that games that have cheats that disable achievements are fine. It gives you the best of both worlds. GTA 4 does this fine. You can get cheats and get money or guns straight away, or you can wait til you have done them all. Resistance 3 does this too, but with cheats unlocked in game.

Games that give you unlocks or points for unlocks are useful for anyone too. Dead Rising 2, Uncharted 2 and Resistance 3 do something like this. Trophies in Infamous 1 unlock rewards in Infamous 2.

In some games it is also an oppurtunity for the game to challenge the player to do the game in different and interesting ways. Deus Ex sets the player the cahllenge of completing the game without killing anyone. Call of Duty: world at war, also had interesting challenges, like killing a target from sniper distance, using only a pistol.

Achievements or trophies are never intrusive. If you don't like them ignore them. No need to get rid of them.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
get used to it, the cheevs are here to stay buddy,
and btw i think the whole no cheats argument has no base. cheats are from a time when games were much less varible in the ways of difficulty or things like mods, unlockable extras. most modern games you can get the same effect of cheats just by toggling settings in the options menu, or whatever, way i see it cheats are no longer necessary, at least in the form they existed in past generations

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Utterly disagree. They're a nice little extra for people who want to explore the boundaries of the game (unless they're all those silly ones you get through the course of the game anyway - I'm lookin' at you here, Oblivion.).

Dec 27, 2010
Yes, completely avoidable, uninterfering digital bragging-rights are ruining the games industry...

Really, why is this in hot-topics?

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Why would they need to go? Personally, I think it gives me more to do in a game once I've completed it. Why would I not want that?
I absolutely hate online only, but achievements aren't the reason for that. They're completely optional, and some find them enhancing to an experience.
Achievements gave me a lot more out of Portal 2, for instance.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
I like achievements as they make me want to carry on playing games that i normally would but could not really come up witha reason too.You can also look at them and go i remeber when i did that in that game it was really fun.

Also it encourages you to play games differently so you dont just play the same games the same way.

But i can not stand multiplayer achievements when your playing by the game type rules and someone is doing something that really is not helping your team.Then you ask them what are they doing and they reply dont worry about me i am just trying to get the "insert achievement"

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Single player is going away, regardless of achievements, if the gaming industry has its way. Achievements will not go away nor change that.
What? Aren't most games single player? I thought Deus Ex: HR, all of the JRPG's, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption etc were examples of how single player is awesome? I am so confused by what you are saying.

OT: I think Achievements are great! I don't go hunting for every last one (CoD collectables, I'm looking at you) but if they provide an extra challenge or prompt me to uncover some hidden content, then what's the problem?

EDIT: Regarding the Starcraft 2 thing, the achievements in that game, I'm assuming, are for beating other players. As in, not the AI. If you don't want to play online then fine, but don't expect to be congratulated for destroying a computer simulation. I always thought the whole point of Starcraft was to test your mettle and outwit your human opponents?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Some of are good fun, others are good to have as proof that you did something particularly cool in a game. Spartan - Lazered two dudes in one shot? Yup, got that one.

They are just like most things in games: Implemented well, not a problem.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Third party cheat devices were never meant to happen and cheating has always been a major problem with on-line gaming.

I shall not weep for the demise of the Game Genie. In-game cheat codes can be fun and I'd like to see more devs put them in their games, because sometimes you just want to blow shit up.

Danhoyt

Feb 19, 2009
Lately the achievements have been tied to awards. I totally approve of this since it gives me something other than a number. They also give insight into how we play our games. A friend of mine is incredibly high up in the COD leaderboards, like top 2,000, and yet he has no achievements for any zombie modes and almost none for the single player campaign. It's pretty clear what he spends all his time doing.

Sometimes certain achievements do impress me though. A few of the GTAIV ones like the 100% completion, Liberty City Minute, Let Sleeping Rockstars Lie. Those actually take some work and as a fan of the series who also has them, it lets me know that we have something in common.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
Why not just have cheats, but disable achievements/trophies/etc. when you use them? GTA IV did this and I thought it worked well. Want to screw around with the RPG and infinite ammo? Go right ahead, but don't expect to get the 5 (or was it 6?) star achievement from it.

Completion trophies should really only be for the end of the game IMO. I don't like being rewarded for doing simple things like 'Pressing Start' (Really?), but if a beat a certain level without dying, or if I get (insert # here) of enemies with a single grenade, sure, gimme that digital reward. Although some games get out of hand with their trophies (I'm looking at you Space Marine, Complete the entire first part of the game on hard in a single session without dying or restarting and it's a BRONZE!?!? Or while I'm at it, 40,000 enemies!?!?! FUCK YOU!)

Here's what the Lord & Master has to say on the subject:

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I think they can be fun in all honesty, some of them require actual skill or just crazy luck and it's cool to have an official record of it. As well as that they can add to the replay value, making you want to attempt something you never would have before and then be able to show your friends that you actually pulled it off.

I do think that they shouldn't be forced into all games and should only be there for things that are ACTUAL achievements. I don't want ones I am guaranteed just for doing the basic story elements, I want things that require me to pull off some crazy shit and ignore the normal game play, or make the normal game play require more skill. I think the problem is since dev's are forced to shoehorn them into thanks to Microsoft on Xbox, they run out of creative ideas and just put inane bullshit in.

Good achievements:-

-Completing the game on the hardest difficulty/handicapping yourself to make it harder
-Creative ones, getting the little gnome guy to the rocket in Half Life 2
-Adding replay value, play through with every variation of X occurring or using a really weird character set up

Bad achievements:-

-COMPLETED THE TUTORIAL/LEVEL/GAME. Completing the games main elements on just a normal run is not noteworthy and does not deserve anything
-Repetitive tasks, I do not want to kill 1,000,000 enemies if that requires nothing but normal game play over and over