Achievements, I hope they go away next generation

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I could do without them.
I miss the days when your rewards were useable in the game. I was so disappointed to find that the "reward" for collecting all the "hidden" things in gta4 was an achievement trophy and that crappy (and flaky) chopper. Big step down from San Andreas where getting 200 collectables left you with 3 different arsenals at 3 different safehouses.

They do have one good use: they do help me pick out what game to get someone for their birthday. That's pretty handy.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Personally, I will, as this generation, remain largely ambivalent. If I get 'em, I get 'em. If I don't, I don't. They don't wreck my experience any more than they enhance them.
I am in total agreement. I don't care either way. I don't know any of the achievements I've ever earned. They haven't impacted any gaming experience I've had thus far.

I suppose it is a good social tool - anyone who gets excited about an achievement or achievements is someone I'd like to avoid. Thank you developers for giving us a "thick-o-meter" directly implemented into the game.

Zachary Amaranth said:
To be fair, you used to get those things without achievements. In fact, I miss those days, honestly. Unlocks are AWESOME.
I agree with this as well. If devs are going to code in achievements, make them do something. The vast majority do nothing right now, save for giving the aforementioned thick players something to brag and scoff about.

I miss rewards for doing something "out-of-the-box" or clever. Something that doesn't cause you to become extremely over-powered, but a reward that has its uses. Something that adds fun and variety.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There's really nothing that Achievements do other than put your name on a world-wide score board. That's fine but I would much rather have the ability to cheat and, play multiplayer with my GF without resorting to a same-room LAN party of 2.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Achievements take away the freedom because they make you play in a specific way if you want to earn them. And developers stopped making cheats in favor of achievements. They have to go.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Why do achievements need to disappear. Achievements do no detract from single player, often adding to single player since most have to be earned within single player. In addition, you don't have to go after achievements. No one is forcing you and it's not like part of the game is locked out if you don't get certain achievements. Besides some games have cheats and achievements just off the top of my head Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
I'd like for the achievement system to go away as well. Now, i tend to use it all the time (g-score is over 50k) but i tend to find myself grabbing games for the achievements and not the story. I'll have to stop and remind myself that I'm going to be playing the game for the story and game play, not the 1k in gamer score i can get from playing it.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
chill out, they're not harming anything. if you don't care about achievements and want to cheat... it's not like anyone is forcing you to get them... the only way I care (and I use that word in the most liberal sense here), is when devs get clever with the names they give to achy's and they make me chuckle.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
SirBryghtside said:
Eh, I'm OK with them. Just let people have an option to turn the alerts off and they're fine.
Kitsuna10060 said:
-.- if you need a cheat device to get an achievement, you don't deserve it.
That wasn't his point. He meant that the prescence of achievements often removes/hinders the ability to cheat (read: StarCraft 2).
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
-.- if you need a cheat device to get an achievement, you don't deserve it.
I don't think that was the point. I think the barring of cheat devices for personal use and decline of in-game cheats is more the issue.
i kinda just gotta say "so? man the fuck up -.-" to that. losing cheat devices is hardly worth getting up in arms about, with the other crap game company's ARE pulling, like the online passes, the various forms of DRM that just get in the way and waste my time.
So because there are worse problems, we should forget about the small ones? That's a dangerous perspective.
i meant it more as picking our battles, the loss of cheat devices to achievement is rather low on the list of 'problems' but really, is it really a problem? do we really need cheat devices?

i say no, and i don't see the problem with it. i really don't but if you think you do, well, sucks to be you then

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Urr why exactly? They don't take anything away from the game at all and if you don't want them... don't get them. I'm not a big fan of getting achievements but there has certainly been games that I've really enjoyed and wanted to get the most out of them and ended up trying to get a perfect achievement score, not for the points or anything but just to experience the game in different ways.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I hope that the developer will start creating good and useful achievements.

In TF2, there are many achievements which actually help the player to learn some stuff, promote team play, promote helping allies in need, playing full support....

I think that achievements could have a huge positive impact on the player base, as long as developer are creative and know that quality>>>>>quantity. You can have 10k achievements, but 100 decent achievements which promote team play and/or act as a small tutorial will have greater impact than all 10k together.

Badly designed achievements can't be overlooked since they actually ruin the game. Kill stealing, no team work, bragging and annoying others with your "I kill stole 1 million kills" achievements....

Grinding achievements are the easiest to make, jet hardest to make useful.
get 1k kills isn't going to promote team play but kill stealing.
Refill X ammo to allied sentry used with a wranger does promote team play.
So grinding achievements CAN be useful as long as you promote team work (you can't achieve them alone but need allies).

So yeah, I like the potentially great impact on the future games, but I hate the way they are currently implemented (there are some good, but mostly they are just there to make gamer feel good after ruining the team play).

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Yes, completely avoidable, uninterfering digital bragging-rights are ruining the games industry...

Really, why is this in hot-topics?
For some reason everything seems to be ruining the games industry according to gamers.
If I were to go by gamers the games industry would collapse next week.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
You're going to be pretty disappointed. :\

I find achievements to be worthless, carrot on a stick features, but they aren't going anywhere.

Kaltazraza

Creepy dancing
Sep 10, 2008
The_Raging_Tree said:
Capt. Crankypants said:
Not all achievements need to go...

"Achievement unlocked! - Complete the tutorial"

Shit like that HAS to leave though.
I definitly agree to this, I love getting trophys/achievements but I do prefere ones that actually require effort.

"OMG I GOT THE TROPHY FOR COMPLETING THE FIRST LEVEL, I FEEL SO CHALLENGED"

No, have it we have to complete the first level without getting hit or something.
Achievements like that shouldn't be. God of War chains of olympus, has an achievement for walking across a gap, just crossing a gap isn't hard, it would be like getting a treat for sitting on a chair.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
We've had discussions like this before: give me achievments over bloody gimmicky, pointless cheat devices any day. Achievments are great because they provide a nice, simple feeling of accomplishment. Even the dodgy ones like "you pressed the B button, here's 10 points" achievments I'm happy with, because I just love that cathartic beeping sound and the little flashing green bar that pops up.

Also, it's pretty wishful thinking to assume they'll be gone next generation. I would imagine there are far more developers and publishers who would rather have an easy way of rewarding the player in a way which extends outside of just the one game, and an equal number who don't like the idea of people blitzing through the game they worked so hard on with cheats.

Father Tunde

Dec 8, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Father Tunde said:
Crono1973 said:
I think they are worthless but even worse, they are used as justification to take away player freedoms like cheat devices and/or offline play.

What say you?
If anything, the encourage more Offline play. That way the Achievement/Trophy hunters will play the single player to unlock their respective achievements.

Also, what is this cardinal sin of online gaming. It's just gaming evolving into something different, just like it's been doing for years, and will do for many more.
Single player games don't need to be online and the only reason they are is so the publishers can keep an eye on you.
I think you left out the UFO's, and the triangle on the money.

Gamings evolving. Achievements and Online Gaming are two results from that. If you can't adapt, then keep playing the older, pre-achievements/online games, and leave the future of games to those who can accept change. You're just going to get more disappointed as things change.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
If they can actually be used for something ... say unlockable skins or weapons or even games, then sure. If not, they need to burn in hell.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I like them. They mean nothing, but they're nice little things to work towards and collect.

Dec 27, 2010
Fuselage said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Yes, completely avoidable, uninterfering digital bragging-rights are ruining the games industry...

Really, why is this in hot-topics?
For some reason everything seems to be ruining the games industry according to gamers.
If I were to go by gamers the games industry would collapse next week.
Yeah, I think "whiney" and "entitled" are two words that sum up the majority of gamers with internet access pretty well, nowadays.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I like Achievements, but I could do without the online ones. I also wish more of them unlocked things, but it's nice doing something and being able to prove it. For example, beating Reach on Legendary was a challenge, and I can prove that I did it with the "Monument to All Our Sins" Achievement. It also adds longevity to a game. That can be a bad thing (such as when developers use achievements to make they're game longer rather than including actual new content), but overall I enjoy different play styles they encourage.