Achievements you look at and just go "Nope"

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've seen how they do those runs, it's not hard with regards to skill, it's an endurance test. I saw how dude beat Ornstein and Smough, I can do that in a few tries and get it down. Top Dark Souls PvP players are far more skilled than the people that do those runs are. I played the game where the damn "git gud" meme came from for 4 straight years, I have nothing to prove. I have probably 100 GRFS clan matches on my Youtube so go watch them if you want.
Yeah I sadly have to agree with @hanselthecaretaker on this one. You've had a huge reputation for going "Lol souls are so easy because all you have to do is get gud at them" when it's clear you have no valid experience playing the games.

Watching some pro play the game online and thinking, "Oh I can do that" is the most insane thing you could possibly say. Of course you could do it if you invested the time into it, but it would take a lot of fucking time because those games are hard period.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Pretty much any multiplayer trophy.

The Evil Within in particular has trophies for 1) beating the game under 5 hours, 2) beating the game without any upgrades and 3) beating the game on die-in-one-hit mode. It's technically possible to stack all three into one playthrough, I guess just as it's technically possible to survive an airplane crashing into a volcano. But I wouldn't even try to go for one of these in a single playthrough though. Game was hard as hell without all the modifiers.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ones I cannot get because I did not back the game on Kickstarter. Looking at you Pillars of Eternity.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Watching videos makes anything look easy, and being good at one game type doesn't automatically follow through to others. There are probably people playing Arma or C&C when it was good that'd think of MGO and GRFS as childsplay. It's all relative. Kinda like how some bosses are a nightmare for some and a calkwalk for others, even with the same build type.
You've had a huge reputation for going "Lol souls are so easy because all you have to do is get gud at them" when it's clear you have no valid experience playing the games.

Watching some pro play the game online and thinking, "Oh I can do that" is the most insane thing you could possibly say. Of course you could do it if you invested the time into it, but it would take a lot of fucking time because those games are hard period.
I've played Dark Souls and Bloodborne and like half of Sekiro (check my trophies if you want). I can tell by watching something if it's hard to do or not. All of those Souls no hit/no damage/no whatever challenge runs are the people playing as cautiously as possible, which doesn't take high skill to do. I've found out several simple exploits in Souls without even trying, using the bow and arrow itself is an exploit and it's just a normal item in the game. I wouldn't ever want to play a whole game like that because it's not fun. I've been sorta addicted to Ryukahr's Super Mario Maker videos recently and some of those levels require more skill than playing the entirety of an actual Super Mario game. I know the difference between looking easy and it actually being hard. Hitting a baseball looks easy. Can either of you say you couldn't get this Ornstein and Smough strat replicated in a couple hours of practice? I kinda did the same thing against Sif when I was completely undergeared/leveled and the only thing I had that did a good chunk of damage was the lightning spear magic that I only had enough to time use it after one of Sif's attack strings and I just dodged everything waiting for that attack string, then hit him with the lightning spear. Sure, figuring out the strats can take great knowledge of the game's systems and smarts but the execution skill required isn't very high. And, you don't even know if the guy doing the run found the strats himself or from someone else.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ones I cannot get because I did not back the game on Kickstarter. Looking at you Pillars of Eternity.
I did not even know achievements like that exsisted! That is a big new one for me!

The Evil Within in particular has trophies for 1) beating the game under 5 hours, 2) beating the game without any upgrades and 3) beating the game on die-in-one-hit mode. It's technically possible to stack all three into one playthrough, I guess just as it's technically possible to survive an airplane crashing into a volcano. But I wouldn't even try to go for one of these in a single playthrough though. Game was hard as hell without all the modifiers.
I know a guy on YouTube called Seraphim17, that has done video guides for 2 out of the 3. The no upgrade and hardest difficulty. I did not try myself, but his guides were helpful when playing on Normal.
I played the game where the damn "git gud" meme came from for 4 straight years,
And before those young punks/older folk who never played difficult games before, or forgot the harder ones, there were plenty of others games that make Dark Souls look like a walk in the park. The entire PS2/XBOX/GC era for one. Before "git gud", it was all about "Keeping it stylish!", being a level of "Master Ninja", or just keep playing. I like to see these people who play nothing, but Souls games and not much else try any of the Ninja Gaiden games (NES trilogy or modern), DMC, or the first two Max Payne games. I would not wish Comix Zone on them though. That alone would drive them crazy.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
And before those young punks/older folk who never played difficult games before, or forgot the harder ones, there were plenty of others games that make Dark Souls look like a walk in the park. The entire PS2/XBOX/GC era for one. Before "git gud", it was all about "Keeping it stylish!", being a level of "Master Ninja", or just keep playing. I like to see these people who play nothing, but Souls games and not much else try any of the Ninja Gaiden games (NES trilogy or modern), DMC, or the first two Max Payne games. I would not wish Comix Zone on them though. That alone would drive them crazy.
Tell me about it, I grew up on NES/SNES. Try landing the fucking plane in Top Gun or play The Lion King, which wasn't one of the hardest ones by any stretch (I only didn't finish it because of the stupid cave-maze level). If people think Dark Souls requires memorization, play those things, plus you usually needed higher reaction skills too. I can't believe looking at gaming now that those NES/SNES games were made for kids. And, I had Battletoads and Bayou Billy for some reason, I doubt I would've asked for either honestly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And, I had Battletoads and Bayou Billy for some reason, I doubt I would've ask for either honestly.
The only reason I knew about Battletoads was because of the arcade game. I found a cabinet while in Mississippi visting my grandma. The local mall had a theatre and an arcade right across from each other. I played arcade game in the summer of 95. I was turning 6 around the time.

The Lion King,
I don't understand how my brother and I beat that game without cheats. Nowadays, neither of us can play that game unless save states are involved. It, and Aladdin were the only Disney games on our Genesis.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Pretty much all of them in every game. Unless there’s a tangible unlock behind them - mounts in World of Warcraft for example - and even then the requirements for some can be so exacting and esoteric that I still don’t bother.

I’ve never understood the love of achievements and I hate the stupid e-peen measuring they inevitably get used in.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't understand how my brother and I beat that game without cheats. Nowadays, neither of us can play that game unless save states are involved. It, and Aladdin were the only Disney games on our Genesis.
I don't remember Lion King being that hard. The only reason I didn't beat it was the stupid 2nd-to-last level with hyena cave-maze; you had to know which caves to go into to get through the level and if you messed up, you got sent back to an earlier spot and had to re-kill the hyenas again. I hated that those kinda of levels of just trail-and-error bullshit, it's why I never beat SMB1 as a kid as you had to know what pipes to go in on the last castle level.

I actually got pretty good at that. It was dogfights I had trouble with.
I don't think I ever landed the plane in that game. I'm pretty sure it was a game I never asked my parents for so I didn't really play it much and probably was like "this is stupid" and played something else. I remember when AVGN landed the plane with the fucking power glove somehow.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Not every attack. Some bosses, like the Fume Knight, are difficult to catch their tells or the tells for two different attacks can look very similar. Add in a large moveset and it's quite easy to get caught unawares.

And when a boss is extremely aggressive you don't have much time to react.

Maybe you're really good are reading all the tells and have super good reflexes but that's not true for all of us.
I can't remember the fume knight so maybe you're right. I think My reflexes are okay, though they went to hell after I went on a big strategy game kick. But really I think at least its the goal of Dark Souls is to memorise patterns through repetition and exploit the pattern to win, maybe sometimes the design fall short in reality but I think that's the core idea.

Oh and maybe you should give shields a try with a build more dedicated to them, I see you mention them not being that good in another post and I thought so too at first but when you build a real good shield character the results can be rather surprising, I went through the games on a few runs thinking blocking enemies of those big demons size was simply impossible but it isn't its just the lions share of a focused shield users stamina bar.

I don't mean to be an elitist jerk telling people to 'git gud' or anything about it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Any achievement that requires me to go way out of my way or requires a ton of luck to get I usually avoid. This basically covers most multiplayer and "play the game again but do X as well" achievements. If I enjoy the game enough I might consider going for these types of achievements anyway, but that's a rarity, especially these days where I don't have a lot of extra free time.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Any that try to turn the entertainment activity I choose to unwind from the anxiety inducing complexities of life into yet another job are a big ole no, thanks. That tends to cover almost all of them, especially multiplayer.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Wait, what? Could you elaborate because I was not aware there were kickstarter only achievements?
On Steam, Pillars of Eternity has an achievement that requires being a kickstater backer to get. Not sure what to elaborate on.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
All the Gears of War "Seriously" achievements. Never mind that multiplayer hasn't been my thing since Halo 3 (well, Halo Reach's "Firefight" with friends,) the ridiculous amounts of commitment it takes to unlock "Seriously" achievements is unreasonable. Then I look at my friends list and see a buddy who has them all. I suspected him of hacking for over a decade; he's 100%'d/Platinum'd damn near every game he plays. But I've also played with him and he's scary damn good at everything, plus an upstanding guy, so it's more than likely legit he's just one of those gaming prodigies. In Gears 1, I made it all the way to RAAM on Insane difficulty by myself, but couldn't beat him; this guy co-op'd the final boss and beat it for me without take any damage.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Tell me about it, I grew up on NES/SNES. Try landing the fucking plane in Top Gun or play The Lion King, which wasn't one of the hardest ones by any stretch (I only didn't finish it because of the stupid cave-maze level). If people think Dark Souls requires memorization, play those things, plus you usually needed higher reaction skills too. I can't believe looking at gaming now that those NES/SNES games were made for kids. And, I had Battletoads and Bayou Billy for some reason, I doubt I would've asked for either honestly.

The only reason I knew about Battletoads was because of the arcade game. I found a cabinet while in Mississippi visting my grandma. The local mall had a theatre and an arcade right across from each other. I played arcade game in the summer of 95. I was turning 6 around the time.

Y'all aren't giving kids enough credit. The kids just out of elementary school are primed for playing tough games, because their minds are still like sponges and not clogged up and bogged down with life's bs yet. Plus their reaction times are about as good as they'll get at that age. I grew up with Colecovision, NES and SNES so am very familiar with stuff like Zaxxon, River Raid, Frogger, Pitfall, all the Nintendo classics, etc. But I don't think I ever beat Battletoads. I tried it IIRC but it's probably buried in my registry and something best not dug up lol.

As a more modern concession, I have beaten Bloodrayne: Betrayal more recently, which is known for being almost as ridiculous. Also did so on a projector with 67ms of input lag, best case. Only thing that rivaled that might have been the Challenge Tower trophy in MK9. It was like, there's fast reaction times needed, but on top of that you have to compensate for not having equipment to facilitate them properly which made it pretty interesting.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
All the Gears of War "Seriously" achievements. Never mind that multiplayer hasn't been my thing since Halo 3 (well, Halo Reach's "Firefight" with friends,) the ridiculous amounts of commitment it takes to unlock "Seriously" achievements is unreasonable. Then I look at my friends list and see a buddy who has them all. I suspected him of hacking for over a decade; he's 100%'d/Platinum'd damn near every game he plays. But I've also played with him and he's scary damn good at everything, plus an upstanding guy, so it's more than likely legit he's just one of those gaming prodigies. In Gears 1, I made it all the way to RAAM on Insane difficulty by myself, but couldn't beat him; this guy co-op'd the final boss and beat it for me without take any damage.
I got the seriously equivalents for 2 and 3, though I 'boosted' those with farming techniques ('Brumak boosting' on 2, lots of AFK botmatches to get through certain game types) way faster than playing them 'properly', but then you had to play something like 3000 of each mulitplayer match).

I had no energy or interest in going to the first one even if i could find people wanting to work together to unlock the original seriously

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Y'all aren't giving kids enough credit. The kids just out of elementary school are primed for playing tough games, because their minds are still like sponges and not clogged up and bogged down with life's bs yet. Plus their reaction times are about as good as they'll get at that age. I grew up with Colecovision, NES and SNES so am very familiar with stuff like Zaxxon, River Raid, Frogger, Pitfall, all the Nintendo classics, etc. But I don't think I ever beat Battletoads. I tried it IIRC but it's probably buried in my registry and something best not dug up lol.

As a more modern concession, I have beaten Bloodrayne: Betrayal more recently, which is known for being almost as ridiculous. Also did so on a projector with 67ms of input lag, best case. Only thing that rivaled that might have been the Challenge Tower trophy in MK9. It was like, there's fast reaction times needed, but on top of that you have to compensate for not having equipment to facilitate them properly which made it pretty interesting.
It's not just reaction times but game design back then. The fucking monkeys on level 2 of The Lion King or adventure game logic. And the fact that you had to beat most of these things in one sitting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Y'all aren't giving kids enough credit. The kids just out of elementary school are primed for playing tough games, because their minds are still like sponges and not clogged up and bogged down with life's bs yet.
I never implied that. All I'm saying is that I can't go through the bullshit in Lion King again. The last time I ever touched that game was at the age of 8. Give me games like Shinobi 3 or Revenge, Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, or Castlevania Bloodlines, and most of those would be a walk in the park by comparison for me. I've played them so many times, that nearly all of it is instinct.