Achievements

Haru_Elric

Jan 12, 2009
Mirror's edge - Sweet Goodbye. Fucking awesome

Can't think of any bad at the moment, but there are some

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.

PrimaVita

Apr 5, 2009
Ninja Gaiden 2, beat the game with "insert weapon" gain five points. What?
Good: Matt Hazard: Eat Lead, 60 points, watch end credits.

PrimaVita

Apr 5, 2009
Halo wars, play 24 hours. Right.
MLB 09, 10 strike outs. 100 strike outs. Ten copy and paste for home runs, field runs and so on. Fantastic.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
PrimaVita said:
Whilst those are utterly stingy points wise, they're actually really fun to do thanks to the way they force you to develop strategies for each weapon.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
All of the Trophies / Achievements in Eat Lead are great, mainly because they take the piss out of Trophies / Achievements.

My favourite is "Multiplayer Master". The description is Huh? There's no Multiplayer Mode? Oh well, too late to take it back now...

Warhawk on PS3 has some fun Trophies. Some are just dumb (blow yourself up with your own air-mine), others are just mind-fuckingly hard (kill a Warhawk with a Cluster Bomb). Some, however, are very fun indeed. I am proud of Hit List (kill every opposing player at least once) and Anti-Camper (blow up an enemy who has earned five or more kills using the same turret).

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
PrimaVita said:
Whilst those are utterly stingy points wise, they're actually really fun to do thanks to the way they force you to develop strategies for each weapon.
I was about to say that same thing. It's a lot harder fighting bosses when you can't spam Blood Rain...

...Still, only 5 points?

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
not really avhievments but some of the challenges for cod 5 are ridiculous.(kill an enemy with his own mine by shooting it through the wall).they may as well have "shoot 30 people in a game while balancing on your head while being constantly blinded with flash bangs"...little over the top but still...

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
Aye, this. Partly because I only have one real-life gamer friend and my internet connection at university so rarely allows me to join games... but mainly because I just don't like multiplayer games. I game for entertainment rather than competition, and it just happens that I get more entertainment playing single-player.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Have you ever played the Flash game Achievement Unlocked? That has some hilarious achievements.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Yea, the multi-player ones are damn poor.
But the ones that alter game play (optionally) are awesome (all of half life 2 (insert episode here)for example)

BlueMartian

Mar 22, 2009
The Little Rocket Man achievement in HL2-Ep2 was brilliant, very creative and very challenging. I hate any online multiplayer achievements, but thats just me

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
BlueMartian said:
The Little Rocket Man achievement in HL2-Ep2 was brilliant, very creatuve and very challenging. I hate any online multiplayer achievements, but thats just me
I agree with both of your points.
I think the Portal achievement for getting gold in all the advanced challenges is bad for the 360 only because they are near impossible to do without a mouse.
The worst achievements I've seen definitely have to be for Avatar: the Last Airbender. I know the game is based on a cartoon or something but that's all I know about it. My brother brought the game to me one day and said "play this, and just keep doing the same move as fast as you can." 5 minutes and 1000 gamer points later, I have all the achievements and I'm not even past the tutorial. IMO, that's just a lack of creativity. I guess it's a kids game though, so maybe that's why.

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
what about one of those really painstaking achievements
like zombie genocider in left 4 dead
or the one in dead rising for killing like 75000 zombies

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Left 4 Dead achievement of killing a tank on your own.

GoW2 Seriously 2.0 - Killing 100 000 people. Which I've done. Totally legit.

Darkcharm

Jan 14, 2009
Man vs Tank is easy. xD
Worst achievement(s) in Left4Dead: Dead Wrecking and Outbreak tie. They're both pats on the back for doing nothing. Now beating all four campaigns on expert, that's what I call an achievement.
Worst achievement(s) in Fallout3: The first few which it's impossible not to get, such as finishing the G.O.A.T and leaving the vault.
Worst achievements of all time: Anything that is granted to you for doing something you HAVE to do in order to complete the game. Achievements in my opinion are supposed to be things to strive for, not reassure the player they did something right for once.