Achievements

Minimike3636

Mar 29, 2009
Deef said:
Worst achievement: Crackdown - Find all the hidden orbs.
No, I'd rather hang myself with the controller.
Surprised you said that, though it is completely awful. At least there's something to gain from that (better stats).

The worst achievement ever definitely comes from Crackdown. Here it is: Beat EVERY race with EVERY car... I don't know how many races that makes, but there's well over a dozen cars, and I have no idea how many races. It's not fun, and it's not rewarding.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Finishing Through the fire and the flames on expert
Finishing Buckethead on Expert

GH FTL

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Best: Kill a target like a true assassin - Assassin's Creed

Worst: Fully Upgrade every weapon - Medal of Honor: Airborne

thousandfaces

Mar 4, 2009
Worst Achievements:
Secret
Achievement description:
This is a secret achievement. You must unlock this achievement to find out more about it

WTF is up with that!!

Btw I don't mind multiplayer achievements but some just forces you to play the role of lone wolf when the game mode promotes team strategy. Im looking @ you Gears of War 1!!!

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
PrimaVita said:
Ninja Gaiden 2, beat the game with "insert weapon" gain five points. What?
Good: Matt Hazard: Eat Lead, 60 points, watch end credits.
I have done 4 or 5 of those, mainly beacuse the game is AMAZINGLY good stress relief.

Amaurus

Mar 30, 2009
"Go and Get Some Sun" (something like that.) Get the 10th prestige on Call of Duty: World at War.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
Pretty much agreeing with Ms.Arendt on this one. I do enjoy the ones that have you "Kill x # of monsters with y weapon", unless of course...its some ridiculous amount you have to kill with.

Multiplayer achievements *for the most part* are horrible. Win 10, 100, than 1000 deathmatches? Please. I have better things to do with my time. Gears of War is pretty bad with those achievements. The Seriously 2.0 achievement is probably the worst achievement out there right now.

GnomeThief

Apr 9, 2009
Good:

Achievements that you worked hard and went the extra mile for so you can sit back feeling satisfied and superior when that little "achievement unlocked" notice flashes at the bottom of the screen. Example: Blade in the Crowd (Assassin's Creed) or The Bigger They Are...(Fallout 3)

Achievements that, even if not very difficult, are at least amusing and/or creative. Example: Menace to Society (Fable II) or Enemy of the Poor (Assassin's Creed).

Bad:

Achievements that you unlock as part of the main story. I don't mean the ones that you get for completing different plot related challenges, I mean the ones that you get for doing something completely pointless like walk across the room. Example: Wallrunner (Prince of Persia)

Achievements that shoehorn in the game's online features. Example: Dollcatcher (Fable II)

Numbers achievements. These actually aren't so bad if the numbers are reasonable. Some things just aren't forgivable though. Example: The flags achievements for Assassin's Creed.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Worst achievement, Plan B, TF2, kill an enemy while you are both underwater. It is painful because most levels don't have water. The achievements I like best are just the ones for beating the game on the highest difficulty.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Damn Good one: Get 50 nutshots in Saints Row 2

Crate of Crap: Survive 10 rounds as the Leader in Guardian - Gears of War 2

Easy as piss: Extra Credit Award - Watch through credits in GH2

Hard as Hell: The Inhuman Achievement - Beat TTFAF on Expert in GH3

(TTFAF - Through the Fire and Flames)

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
Brother in Arms:Hell's Highway has both good and bad acheivments.
Good-Abandon All hope,150 for completeting last mission on any difficulty.Plus all action camera shots cos they looks so awesome.
Bad-Sum acheivments offer no gamer score AT ALL!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Haru_Elric said:
Mirror's edge - Sweet Goodbye. Fucking awesome

Can't think of any bad at the moment, but there are some
I heard that Mirrors Edge has one called "ITS-A-ME!"
You get it by jumping onto a guard Mario style.

Makes me think of Toadstool looking at faith going
"I'm sorry Faith, but the package is in another castle!"

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
The strange thing is, there are achievements that are both good AND bad at the same time. Take Nothing Special on L4D for example-

Good because you finish the finale physically shaking because you've managed to pull off a truly amazing achievement, surviving a whole 5 rounds without taking damage from a single special infected. You've made those reflex shots at just the right time, you've repelled Boomers and no-one got hit, and best of all you made it past the tank without getting injured.

The bad? When you're climbing into the escape vehicle and whilst you're waiting the one and a half seconds for the door to close, the rock that the Tank threw comes into the vehicle.

In all seriousness, I agree with most other people though. Storyline achievements are rubbish. I've just played through GTAIV on PC, I've finished the missions and to be quite frank, I can't be assed to go back and get the achievements. Seriously? Get a cab from one island to another? Bugger off.

That said, the achievement system DOES help newer gamers to get better, in the same way that the stats system on TF2 helps them. "Well done!" it says "You managed to kill x number of players that round". Soon enough, that player is hitting that score regularly, and eventually it's a disappointment that they *only* killed 15 people that round.

Take the Boomer for L4D for example. There is an achievement for hitting all 4 survivors with one vomit. That used to be difficult, but if I don't hit at LEAST 3 of them I haven't done my attack properly.

Wordsmith is currently only missing 3 achievements on L4D; Zombie Genocidest (, What Are You Trying To Prove? and Jumpshot
EDIT:
ColdStorage said:
Haru_Elric said:
Mirror's edge - Sweet Goodbye. Fucking awesome

Can't think of any bad at the moment, but there are some
I heard that Mirrors Edge has one called "ITS-A-ME!"
You get it by jumping onto a guard Mario style.

Makes me think of Toadstool looking at faith going
"I'm sorry Faith, but the package is in another castle!"
I still don't get why this isn't an achievement for L4D, "Kill a zombie by jumping on it's head". I once killed a whole horde with one jump because they all tried to climb up the same bit of wall xD

Alphari

Apr 15, 2009
The number one for me is in both categories and its the "Complete Landfall On Any Difficulty"
In Halo 3. All it is is a video clip. No gameplay whatsoever. A free achievement but i don't know what to think of it

Alphari

Apr 15, 2009
Another one is in CoD4 when your about to rescue Nikolai. You get an achievement for "Killing The lights" when your about to go into the house

garo

Apr 14, 2009
A good achievement is the one in half-life 2 you get for killing an enemy with a toilet