Achievements

Cpt Corallis

New member
Apr 14, 2009
491
0
0
One achievement I spent hours on was "the shot" achievement in COD4. I spent three hours trying to hump Captain McMillan to that ferris wheel and then defend him. My friends listened to it whilst in party chat and according to them, the cheering that occurred after I made it resulted in semi-permanent deafness...
 

pirateninj4

New member
Apr 6, 2009
525
0
0
Any achievement that forces me to grind or farm content that used to be entertainment or enjoyable to play is unacceptable.

Any achievement that I am able to get without turning the game into a second job is acceptable. I personally like the TF2 revenge one when you waste your nemesis. Makes you feel good you're not a b*tch anymore.
 

squid5580

New member
Feb 20, 2008
5,106
0
0
I have seen for the most part achs improving. Although they really need to get away from the MP ridiculous achs. Some of the absolute worst I have seen are Earth Defense Force's complete the game 5 times (and get all the weapons which comes with the 5 times), Fear 2 and Far Cry 2 MP achs and Shellshock 2 with the complete the game twice for 15 points.

I don't see the big deal with story progression achs. You should get one for each level of a game. They shouldn't revolve completely around that but you beat a level you get some points. What burns me is the lack of creativity in the tiles. All 50 of them should not be the same little pic. Put a bit of effort into it. Give a better description once you unlock them. Get away from "you beat mission 4" and give us a bit of credit for what we did. Eat Lead may not be the best game ever but damn the achs are hilarious. Not what you have to do but the description of them once they are unlocked show a ton of creativity. Give us more of that.
 

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
4,190
0
0
DasMark said:
I hate those "Kill 100 players in Deathmatch" and the like Achievements. I hate feeling like the devs are forcing me to play online, when all I want to do is play with myself.

You heard me.
I Hear you and I know where you come from man.

I prefer Single Player to Multi-player.

Give me an awesome Single player experience and you will keep me amused for a month
Give me an awesome Multi player experience and you will keep me amused for a week or two.
 

PayNSprayBandit

New member
Dec 27, 2008
565
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
Um... no offense, but if that's how you feel, then why are the genre wars badges things like:

Genre Warrior - Fight one battle
Genre Campaigner - Fight ten battles
Tactician - Win one battle
Master Tactitician - Win ten battles
Strategist - Win fifty battles
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
PayNSprayBandit said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
Um... no offense, but if that's how you feel, then why are the genre wars badges things like:

Genre Warrior - Fight one battle
Genre Campaigner - Fight ten battles
Tactician - Win one battle
Master Tactitician - Win ten battles
Strategist - Win fifty battles
Genre Wars is a far cry from a full-blown Xbox 360 game. There are only so many gameplay options available to you -- we can't reward you for finding unusual ways to play the game, because, given the game's nature, you can't. So, no, I'm not generally a fan of "win X number of matches," but in the case of Genre Wars, it's either that, or no badge at all -- and no badges is far less fun, don't you think? :)
 

Eternal Vigil

New member
Apr 1, 2009
18
0
0
For best I'd have to say some of the ones of the orange box, like One Free Bullet and Rocket man

For worse I'd have to go with Bulletwitch. Complete the game on the hardest difficulty......for 1 gamerscore!
 

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
5,204
0
0
i remember getting one in Warhawk that made me laugh (though technically it was a trophy, not an achievement :p), you had to kill an enemy with their own land mine, title of the trophy was "irony" lol
 

PayNSprayBandit

New member
Dec 27, 2008
565
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
PayNSprayBandit said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
Um... no offense, but if that's how you feel, then why are the genre wars badges things like:

Genre Warrior - Fight one battle
Genre Campaigner - Fight ten battles
Tactician - Win one battle
Master Tactitician - Win ten battles
Strategist - Win fifty battles
Genre Wars is a far cry from a full-blown Xbox 360 game. There are only so many gameplay options available to you -- we can't reward you for finding unusual ways to play the game, because, given the game's nature, you can't. So, no, I'm not generally a fan of "win X number of matches," but in the case of Genre Wars, it's either that, or no badge at all -- and no badges is far less fun, don't you think? :)
Fair enough and I sure do.

In all fairness, the combination of Terminator and Spartan,

Terminator - Kill every single one of your opponents units
Spartan - Win a battle with a substantially low chance of winning

means there's an incentive to engage in unbalanced fights for both the large and the small. Which is neat.
 

BigHardcore

New member
Apr 2, 2009
9
0
0
scotth266 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
The 100% completion achievement.

This dastardly contraption should NEVER see the light of day again, especially in a Rockstar game. Who on Earth actually has the patience to acquire 100% completion for GTA IV? Even the one in Bully is FAR too annoying to acquire.
I disagree with this. The 100% completion achievement is what I think achievements should be more like, as long as the GS is worth the time put into it. That, to me, it more of an accomplishment than pressing start or pause or some other ridiculous reason to get GS points.
 

Stylish_Robot

New member
Dec 29, 2008
139
0
0
"For worse I'd have to go with Bulletwitch. Complete the game on the hardest difficulty......for 1 gamerscore!"

I always found that one funny, makes me think of all those players who HAVE to 1000 everything they have and it must bug em that only way to do it was on super hard mode for 1 point it's like "yeah, you're obsessed"

My least favorite achievements are naturally play endless amounts of multiplayer. Fear 2, Halo Wars, Red Faction: Guerrilla and Riddick all have these insanely long bs achievements as if the community will be that huge. Speaking of Fear 2, there's one called MVP where you have to be the only person to capture the phlag...yeah, try telling that one to your team.

"Dude, just stand there or shoot people, I want an achievement"
"Screw you dude, I'M trying to get that achievement"
 

Geo Da Sponge

New member
May 14, 2008
2,611
0
0
As everyone else has said, The Orange Box is obviously an exemplar of achievements. I'd also like to mention Mass Effect, which gives in game rewards for the achievements, which over the long term give a noticeable difference and a definite boost on higher difficulties. But I also like the humorous achievements, as they're a nice addition which make you smile, especially when you're not expecting them. For example, the Fable 2 achievements, especially how their description would change.

As for bad achievements, Oblivion needs to be mentioned. It could have been so much more; an achievement for finding every location would be nice. It may sound a bit grindy, but it supports the player exploring and making their own adventures, which is what I think the game should focus on. Some other good ones would be stealing a lot of stuff undetected (or getting caught for a "gag" achievement), knocking five plot central characters unconscious, using up 100 repair hammers as a secret achievement called "If I had a hammer..." and one for killing the Adoring Fan many, many times.

Oh course, Oblivion would never have a sense of humour about itself. It's a serious game.

Seriously.

BigHardcore said:
scotth266 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
The 100% completion achievement.

This dastardly contraption should NEVER see the light of day again, especially in a Rockstar game. Who on Earth actually has the patience to acquire 100% completion for GTA IV? Even the one in Bully is FAR too annoying to acquire.
I disagree with this. The 100% completion achievement is what I think achievements should be more like, as long as the GS is worth the time put into it. That, to me, it more of an accomplishment than pressing start or pause or some other ridiculous reason to get GS points.
That's the problem though. Getting 100% completion should be worth about 150 gamerscore. Probably even more. But they don't want to make it so that a large portion of the gamerscore is unobtainable to most people playing the game. I think that's why difficult achievements often have low gamerscores attached, as it is more about the achievement itself than the score value.
 

savingstars

New member
Apr 3, 2009
8
0
0
Darkcharm said:
Man vs Tank is easy. xD
Worst achievement(s) in Left4Dead: Dead Wrecking and Outbreak tie. They're both pats on the back for doing nothing. Now beating all four campaigns on expert, that's what I call an achievement.
Worst achievement(s) in Fallout3: The first few which it's impossible not to get, such as finishing the G.O.A.T and leaving the vault.
Worst achievements of all time: Anything that is granted to you for doing something you HAVE to do in order to complete the game. Achievements in my opinion are supposed to be things to strive for, not reassure the player they did something right for once.
I disagree. I've always viewed achievements as markers for progress throughout the game. Personally, I've always felt 500 should be dedicated towards "requirements" and 500 dedicated to "above and beyond" sort of masteries. I love the feeling I got in Fallout 3 when I would complete a quest (Main quest or Side quest) and get that Achievement pop-up. Yes, it sometimes would break the immersion, but it's not like you don't still feel that accomplishment.

*shrug*

That's just me, though. =)
 

PrimaVita

New member
Apr 5, 2009
97
0
0
Deef said:
Best achievement: Saints Row 2 - Shoot 100 people in the nuts.
I like this one simply because it's funny.

Worst achievement: Crackdown - Find all the hidden orbs.
No, I'd rather hang myself with the controller.
How do you hang yourself with a wireless controller?
 

Scythos

New member
May 8, 2007
126
0
0
scotth266 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, there are loads of bad achievements. Usually the "kill 100 somethings with the something" variety, or "play for X number of hours." They're just lazy and boring. They don't inspire you to play the game differently, they don't challenge your ability, they're just awarded for marking in-game time, which I personally find to be very lame.

I think most multiplayer achievements are pretty bad.
Susan, you forgot the WORST kind of achievement, though you mentioned the mainstays:

The 100% completion achievement.

This dastardly contraption should NEVER see the light of day again, especially in a Rockstar game. Who on Earth actually has the patience to acquire 100% completion for GTA IV? Even the one in Bully is FAR too annoying to acquire.
I have both...you just made me feel incredibly bad about myself - i'm going outside, goodbye cruel internet.
 

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
1,160
0
0
The worst one I ever saw was the 'Kill 3 people with ubered scout'.
Why the fuck would you uber a scout!?
 

r0botosaurus

New member
Mar 4, 2009
38
0
0
Worst:
Vesperia Master in Tales Of Vesperia. Unlock all other achievements. Anybody who knows about the achievements in Vesperia will know how much of a pain in the ass that is. You need to view all optional skits, complete the bestiary, earn all optional titles, save ten million Gald, beat the game in under 15 hours, play the game for over 100 hours (I KNOW), complete every secret mission in every boss fight, beat all optional bosses, travel over 10k kilometers, beat all side missions, reach level 200 on every character, find every item, and clear an optional dungeon.
And then... you get ZERO POINTS.
 

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
5,202
0
0
new_age_reject said:
The worst one I ever saw was the 'Kill 3 people with ubered scout'.
Why the fuck would you uber a scout!?
If you're about to die, have an uber, and a scout is present. A long list of conditions to be sure, but it CAN happen.