ACTA - EU member assigned to monitor it Resigns in protest.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Does anyone here actually know what kind of repercussions this ACTA thing will have on the average person? Or are we all just being overly cynical about the whole thing and saying 'this will destroy freedom!'
As I mentioned above, one of the idea's from the draft was ISP's having a three strike policy to piracy. We've seen how far that has gone and that was even before this treaty was finalised.

Oh and the implementation of a global version of the US's DMCA legislation, becuase that piece of law has caused no issues in the US....

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Canada apparently signed this back in September. I didn't hear anything about it in the news or online. I'm so gona vote next election for NDP or the Liberals. I'm getting fed up with this rightwing robot Harper who is in charge. It's not to much what he's bringing it though but how he acts in doing it.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Does anyone here actually know what kind of repercussions this ACTA thing will have on the average person? Or are we all just being overly cynical about the whole thing and saying 'this will destroy freedom!'
I know I don't. My opposition comes from the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, ACTA represents the United States forcing the rest of the world to cow-tow to their interests and if that is indeed the case I'd much rather see the rest of the world tell the United States to fuck right off (possibly in those exact words), regardless of the circumstances.
Proposed by Japan, public first draft released from New Zealand, beginning talks starting with Canada, the European Commission, Japan, Switzerland and the United States. Yup, it's an agreement forcing the world to cow-tow United States interests.

Wait... Don't look, the US is right behind you! The boogeyman is out to get you.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
AC10 said:
I will strongly consider moving to a European country that does not sign this treaty.
Not because ACTA personally affects me, but because the country in question would represent a strong stance on supporting it's citizenry as opposed to the upper echelon of wealth.
I would also really be interested in such a country. What with the possibility of privatized healthcare coming into Canada again... Tommy Douglas would not be happy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Rationalization said:
canadamus_prime said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I know I don't. My opposition comes from the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, ACTA represents the United States forcing the rest of the world to cow-tow to their interests and if that is indeed the case I'd much rather see the rest of the world tell the United States to fuck right off (possibly in those exact words), regardless of the circumstances.
Proposed by Japan, public first draft released from New Zealand, beginning talks starting with Canada, the European Commission, Japan, Switzerland and the United States. Yup, it's an agreement forcing the world to cow-tow United States interests.

Wait... Don't look, the US is right behind you! The boogeyman is out to get you.
Ok ok, I stand corrected. I did say "unless I'm mistaken" didn't I? Jeez! You can't deny that the USA does throw it's weight around a little too damn much, and speaking as a citizen of a country the has to put up with it more than most, it's not fun!

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Ok ok, I stand corrected. I did say "unless I'm mistaken" didn't I? Jeez! You can't deny that the USA does throw it's weight around a little too damn much, and speaking as a citizen of a country the has to put up with it more than most, it's not fun!
Sorry for being so defensive, I'm just really tired of the USA being demonized on these forums.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Sonicron said:
My thoughts exactly. As it stands, we're one of five countries still opposed to signing, and I hope it stays that way.
Might I ask which the other four countries opposing are?
Germany, Cyprus, Netherlands, Estonia and Slovakia have yet to sign.
News articles covering this story all say these states are expected to sign soon, but from what I've been able to find out the Netherlands and Slovakia are quite openly opposed to ACTA as it stands, and I actually called Germany's current MEP in Brussels about the whole affair and was delighted to hear she would not be putting her vote behind the treaty.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
For the average person: a small price hike for luxury products.
For small businesses: getting shut down the moment somebody bigger wants to move into your town.
For humanitarian aid: completely crippled due to not being allowed to acquire cheap food and medicine, forced to buy from major companies at extreme premium.

It also changes counterfeiting lawsuits where the accusing party has to get permission from a judge to shut the victim down to a default ruling in favor of the accuser. after which the victim has to go to court to get that ruling overthrown, something that is near impossible to do for a small business in a tangle with a big one.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Asehujiko said:
CardinalPiggles said:
For small businesses: getting shut down the moment somebody bigger wants to move into your town.
For humanitarian aid: completely crippled due to not being allowed to acquire cheap food and medicine, forced to buy from major companies at extreme premium.

It also changes counterfeiting lawsuits where the accusing party has to get permission from a judge to shut the victim down to a default ruling in favor of the accuser. after which the victim has to go to court to get that ruling overthrown, something that is near impossible to do for a small business in a tangle with a big one.
And President Obama is in favor of this? That is the most unamerican (and for different reasons, most typically American) thing I've ever heard of. [sarcasm]Innocent until proven guilty? Who has time for that?[/sarcasm]

I really hope some people in Washington are lurking in forum discussions on this, because let's be honest here: the current crop of 20 somethings is pissed enough as it is. They'd have to be stupid not to realize that if they keep pushing the interests of corporations over the interests of people, rioting is a very real possibility. I know this isn't just an American issue, but it seems to be our government that leads the charge in this crap -- well, us and Japan, anyway, and they've got problems of their own.

Martijn Nijkeuter

Oct 20, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Why is it 'thousands' of people are out on the streets in Poland about this, but nowhere else?

'Thousands march in Poland over Acta internet treaty'
It barely even made the news here, only saw it on a few websites of dutch origin so far and nothing about it on major tv channels at all...

it's really being brushed under the carpet here in the Netherlands, a democratic party tried to have make acta public, but the 2 parties that have freedom in their name stopped it asap...

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Sonicron said:
the Netherlands are quite openly opposed to ACTA as it stands
That's great news, at least for me. Thanks for the information. I tried searching some sites for this info, but none of them put it as clearly as you did.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Asehujiko said:
CardinalPiggles said:

I thought as much, thanks.

We already knew that privately owned businesses had a hugely hard time competing with big companies, the fact that this makes it worse saddens me, but it doesn't make me feel like rioting if I'm honest.

And as for Humanitarian aid, I don't think that sort of thing is even relevant at these kinds of times.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
SpaceBat said:
Sonicron said:
the Netherlands are quite openly opposed to ACTA as it stands
That's great news, at least for me. Thanks for the information. I tried searching some sites for this info, but none of them put it as clearly as you did.
My pleasure. I'm sorry I don't have any names, but from what I've read the Netherlands' politicians are the most vocal about concerns regarding infringement on freedom of speech and the transformation of ISPs into a corporate police force.

KAR849

Sep 6, 2010
Probably hordes of people would be against it and willing to demostrate, but as it says in the article, they don't know about it. Stealth politics.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
KAR849 said:
Probably hordes of people would be against it and willing to demostrate, but as it says in the article, they don't know about it. Stealth politics.
It took us only a few days to amass thousands of people willing to protest.
Stealth politics is no excuse. Sorry.