Activision absorbs another studio into Call of Duty

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Following the news a few months ago, that Vicarious Visions - Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Remake - had been absorbed into Blizzard, it has now been reported that Toys for Bob - Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time - have now been absorbed in to the Call of Duty machine, and will be assisting with supporting Warzone, going forward

Here is the Escapist Article

I think this is a massive shame, because both studios showed off an incredible amount of talent with their recent games, and it just seems like a massive waste of talent to have them working on Blizzards back catalogue, and Call of Duty updates, of all things. It would have been amazing to see what both of these studios went on to make.

This also means that every single studio owned by Activision, now works on Call of Duty, in one way or another.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Following the news a few months ago, that Vicarious Visions - Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 Remake - had been absorbed into Blizzard, it has now been reported that Toys for Bob - Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time - have now been absorbed in to the Call of Duty machine, and will be assisting with supporting Warzone, going forward

I think this is a massive shame, because both studios showed off an incredible amount of talent with their recent games, and it just seems like a massive waste of talent to have them working on Blizzards back catalogue, and Call of Duty updates, of all things. It would have been amazing to see what both of these studios went on to make.

This also means that every single studio owned by Activision, now works on Call of Duty, in one way or another.
As if we needed any more reasons to say Fuck Call of Duty (and Activision).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm just imagining the parallel of this thread, when Activision instead of keeping them on in some capacity instead just got rid of them, and context aside none of the posts I've thus far seen would be different. Its weird.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So I'm asking because I really am curious, but how many studios has Activision absorbed then killed off? I know EA has a track record, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything with Activision

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

If they were working on Blizzard's Back Catalog then I want them to make a better version of Warcraft 3 Reforged or hell Warcraft 4.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean if Toys 4 Bob wasn't working on a Crash 5, or a new IP, then it makes sense to have them work on Call of Duty in the meantime while a small team creates drafts for new projects. Because otherwise you are waste dev resources for nothing when they could be working on some on-going project just to warrant keeping dev's employed. This is a pretty normal practice TBH.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Do cod games even have a single player anymore?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This isn't news that Toys For Bob have been permanently put in the Call of Duty mines.

There's a lot of development resources a studio has that don't get used when a new project starts development. That's why often times when a project ends at a studio a lot of staff get laid off because their talents won't be relevant to a new project for months if not years. Like the people working on lighting for instance don't have anything to do while the GDD is still being written.

In this case it sounds like Activision shifted Toys For Bob's resources to Call of Duty instead of laying people off while TFB is in the design stage for new projects.