Activision Buyout Allowed by Delaware Supreme Court

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Activision Buyout Allowed by Delaware Supreme Court

The Delaware Supreme Court has lifted a preliminary injunction halting Activision Blizzard's plan to buy 429 million shares of its stock.

Activision Blizzard turned a few heads back in July when it was announced that it was going to spend 8.17 billion dollars to purchase 429 million shares unfortunate lawsuits from unhappy shareholders who felt the buyout would "unjustly enrich" several of the company's top executives.

That being the case, the Delaware Supreme Court has now ruled in the publisher's favor, lifting the preliminary injunction imposed by the Delaware Chancery Court and giving the company the go ahead to buy itself back. The deal, in turn, will be completed on October 15th, so long as no other unexpected road blocks emerge to stall it.

With the buyout finally moving to closure, it will be interesting to see what develops from it in the future. Granted, this does look, for the most part, like it will primarily just be a case of shares changing hands. That said, it would be neat to see its new-found liberation inspire Activision Blizzard to invest in something new and outside of its norm. Whether or not that actually happens is something we'll have to wait and see. In the mean time, many gamers will probably just be content with the upcoming release of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128482-Update-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Has-50-GB-Install>Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Source: <a href=http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=796295>Activision Investor Relations

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Good. *sips coffee*

This is good for gaming as a whole, nothing else needs to be said. Otherwise Acti-Blizz will just be another money sink for Vivendi's flailing ventures. Whatever you think of Activision or Blizzard. This is good.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Charli said:
Good. *sips coffee*

This is good for gaming as a whole, nothing else needs to be said. Otherwise Acti-Blizz will just be another money sink for Vivendi's flailing ventures. Whatever you think of Activision or Blizzard. This is good.
Yeah, pretty much. I've not been a fan of recent releases from either half of blactivision but the alternative to this was the gaming bits taking on huge amounts of debt which would be transferred to pull the vivendi parts out of the red. So grats blactivision, now stop making shitty games.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Now, this is pretty good.

But will it lead to Activision Blizzard taking some actual risks as a company? I mean, we know that the CEO now basically owns a lot of the company, so he could actually have it take some risks, like actually removing the dev constraints they put on and letting both CoD dev companies run wild with their actually interesting ideas instead of only moving forward incrementally. Or make a new Vampire game (like VTMB, but with less anoying TPP). Or stop making devs produce shitty DLC and just give out higher prices up front. Or give out modding tools.
But I think none of that will be the case. Activision Blizzard will probably just continue to make the same games over and over again, with incremental improvements - or continue making addicting games with subpar gameplay, in Blizzard's case (I mean, Blizzard games are brilliantly made, but seen objectively and measured against their peers, they've mostly got pretty bad, if addicting, gameplay[footnote]Except Hearthstone, since that is a trading card game and most entries in that genre on PC have been pretty bad up until now.[/footnote]).

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
No greater love for Activision or Blizzard since it was devoured by Kotick, but good on them.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I don't think it will change anything. Kotick will be milking CoD as long as it will bring profit and Blizz will be developing more and more stale sequels that will take forever to make. Sorry Starcraft 2 not gonna buy you until they release SC2 battlechest in 2025.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this is good, now actiblizzard is the largest "indie" out there. somehow it doesnt feel right typing this. still, lets hope this means we can see some new projects going alonside milking of the usual franchises.

Valderis said:
Must be nice to have so many billions to just throw around like that.

My sick sense of humor and hate for this industry hopes to see this backfire, but how?

Does anyone have any creative ideas?
its easy, we kill batman[/s], we make a MMO that will take over WOW players.