Activision CEO Says He Would Raise Prices Even Higher

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
You mean CEOs and marketing executives really dont give a shit about people? How is that news? Its a business and its run as so, what speaks to them is profits and deadlines.
I have no problem with this guy doing his job, I just love how transparent he is about it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
First he threatens to cut support from Sony and the PS3 because "They need to lower the price!".
Then he price-gauges European customers as a "test".
Now he's saying that he wants to raise the price even more.
Oh, and lets not forget the whole Brutal Legend conundrum, trying to keep a game everyone is anticipating from ever being released.

In jest or not, I think I have permission to rip his face off.

jamesworkshop said:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can
There's a difference between selling a product for a sensible price and selling a product by price-gauging.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
You evil sack of greedy crap. We already pay 60$ for games, and not everyone makes your ridiculus blizzard salary. He's just a greedy fat cat.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
jamesworkshop said:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can
There's a difference between selling a product for a sensible price and selling a product by price-gauging.
Hey, he wants to "make some damn money"

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Soon all games everywhere will be as expensive as they are in Europe's mainland and Australia.
And then, they'll get even higher!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
He is aware that Gamers are already howling for his blood? This can only make things worse. I call dibs on his trachea.
Dibs on Achilles Tendon. Put some salt and Alveoli on it and you've got yourself one tasty treat!

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
I think the lower half of his body is a pair of hairy balls in scrotum..yes scrotum, ah ya-ta-ti-di-di-daaaaa

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
FUCK NO FUCK NO, FUCKING HELL NO!

Why the hell does the UK have to take all the fucking shit from the video game market!? WHY?

Do people think it's fair to be bullying us? Fucking hell...I'm pissed off, it's just gonna get worst, I knew it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Dyp100 said:

Why the hell does the UK have to take all the fucking shit from the video game market!? WHY?

Do people think it's fair to be bullying us? Fucking hell...I'm pissed off, it's just gonna get worst, I knew it.
We are getting the better special edition of Assassin's Creed 2, if that's any consolation.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
jamesworkshop said:
I said change it to "needs" some damn money, damnit! But regardless, at least we know that Sony is trying to lower the price. I can't say that this isn't a common thing with many business, raising prices and such, but the insane hypocrisy that is this Kotick guy is what really tosses this over the edge.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Price gouging: the sport of dead men.

And it seems Activision is becoming quite the athletic group, if you get my drift.

Also, I'm still laughing from the hypocrisy/irony spewing from this guy's mouth.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
What kind of madhouse is this?!? Actually I saw this coming, you make a game that could have knocked a king off the throne then you turn into a dick.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
jamesworkshop said:
I said change it to "needs" some damn money, damnit! But regardless, at least we know that Sony is trying to lower the price. I can't say that this isn't a common thing with many business, raising prices and such, but the insane hypocrisy that is this Kotick guy is what really tosses this over the edge.
While we may be disagreeing on some things that I obviously won't go into because it's more off-topic than I'm already getting, I agree with you that Kotick is being a massive hypocrite unless he was actually joking and either

A) is so dense he doesn't realize how hated he is right now or
B) Knows people hate him and now he's just messing with them.

I don't really have any insight to his mindset other than that shit-eating grin in the pic that always gets used here, so I can't say for certain.

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
For the love of god Blizzard, get the hell out! Before you are consumed by this beast and everything you create turns to crap. Although it might be too late for you.

I'm going to have to find a new hobby, since playing video games will amount unconscionable evil soon enough. Well, things made by Acti-Blizz at least.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Amnestic said:
Dyp100 said:

We are getting the better special edition of Assassin's Creed 2, if that's any consolation.
I guess, but only at gameplay, or whatever, and I use GAME, which only has the normal AS2. >.>

Still, who would think you'd be loving EA more then Activision 2 years ago?

bimbley

Jan 31, 2009
This equation is so simple even I can do it. They're hiking the price on a game as an experiment, so don't buy it. If you buy it, you'll pay through the ass for the next game, and the next and the next. Just say no people.

-Bimbley

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
jamesworkshop said:
Hm. I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, per se.

His argument was that Sony needs to lower the cost on the PS3 not out of principle, but because people aren't as willing to pay the higher cost, so it isn't selling as well as it might be. If the PS3 were selling as well as its peers despite the higher price tag, they probably wouldn't be calling for a price cut since there'd be no evidence for it.

In that line of thought, if they raise the price of games $10 or so, and find that it severely impacts sales, then they'll probably lower them again, since they'd have empirical evidence that people weren't willing to pay the higher cost. On the other hand, if they raise the price but sales stay about the same, then they'll have realized that the new price is still within peoples' acceptable margins for how much a game should cost.

It's definitely a bit of a dick move to pull, no question about that. I just don't think it's necessarily a hypocritical one.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
This is one hard nosed business man who plays hard ball when he does his business transactions and takes no funny business when stating his hard edged serious business proposals.