Activision CEO Says He Would Raise Prices Even Higher

digitalman

Jun 9, 2009
So long as people are paying for these games, it really doesn't matter what he says, or what anyone things. Gamers may hate him, but someone's buying the goods.

I find it hilarious that for as much hate as this man has gathered (not undeservingly) for churning out sequel after sequel, he's still raking in the bucks.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
jamesworkshop said:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can
There's a difference between selling a product for a sensible price and selling a product by price-gauging.
Hey, he wants to "make some damn money"
I said change it to "needs" some damn money, damnit! But regardless, at least we know that Sony is trying to lower the price. I can't say that this isn't a common thing with many business, raising prices and such, but the insane hypocrisy that is this Kotick guy is what really tosses this over the edge.
Hm. I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, per se.

His argument was that Sony needs to lower the cost on the PS3 not out of principle, but because people aren't as willing to pay the higher cost, so it isn't selling as well as it might be. If the PS3 were selling as well as its peers despite the higher price tag, they probably wouldn't be calling for a price cut since there'd be no evidence for it.

In that line of thought, if they raise the price of games $10 or so, and find that it severely impacts sales, then they'll probably lower them again, since they'd have empirical evidence that people weren't willing to pay the higher cost. On the other hand, if they raise the price but sales stay about the same, then they'll have realized that the new price is still within peoples' acceptable margins for how much a game should cost.

It's definitely a bit of a dick move to pull, no question about that. I just don't think it's necessarily a hypocritical one.
Actually it might be because everyone used to rag on Nintendo for sticking with cartridges because it was too expensive, and that in theory the change to disc media would make games cheaper. Of course, nobody realized game budgets might increase as well, and therin lies the problem. Also we have to consider that he's considering raising prices at the tail-end of a global financial crisis.

theklng

May 1, 2008
this guy is my new idol. his contempt for humanity is admirable.

Faeanor said:
For the love of god Blizzard, get the hell out! Before you are consumed by this beast and everything you create turns to crap. Although it might be too late for you.

I'm going to have to find a new hobby, since playing video games will amount unconscionable evil soon enough. Well, things made by Acti-Blizz at least.
blizzard sold out the moment they contemplated the idea for creating world of warcraft.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
christ I don't even know even with cash like that no women would like a man like that

"hey honey you know how we're renting your neice our 1 bedroom apartment?"
"yea?"
"well I'm raising the rent becuase Iknow she has no where else to go"
"but she'd have to"
"opss another $1000 a month"
"....................... I'm leaving you"
"yeah but the divorce wil cost ya"

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I believe this would be best illustrated by illustration.

Gentlemen, we have a smiling photo to deface, don't you think?
It is indeed exploitable...

Vespire

Apr 15, 2009
Monocle Man said:
Soon all games everywhere will be as expensive as they are in Europe's mainland and Australia.
And then, they'll get even higher!
once that happens, piracy will just rocket into the sky and boom. Publishers go bust. No games released. What will only be left are arcade mini games.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
That man is off his peripheral selling rocker. Well, I don't really care, I've never liked many Activision games, so their CEO can go [this part of the sentence is removed due to extreme words that will scar the minds of the weak ones], cause I ain't buying any of his over-priced games... Except Prototype. And Wolfenstein. And Quake.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Vespire said:
Monocle Man said:
Soon all games everywhere will be as expensive as they are in Europe's mainland and Australia.
And then, they'll get even higher!
once that happens, piracy will just rocket into the sky and boom. Publishers go bust. No games released. What will only be left are arcade mini games.
Slippery slope fallacy much?

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I think he probably just wants to test the new sniper-resistant glass he installed in his bedroom, without having to go through the hassle of applying for a gun permit himself. :p

Also, is it me or does he look like Cockmongler in that pic?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
We could just collectively say to him: "If you don't bring down your prices, we can't support your repetitive software, cheap hardware, or overpriced dlc."

Too ironic?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
GonzoGamer said:
We could just collectively say to him: "If you don't bring down your prices, we can't support your repetitive software, cheap hardware, or overpriced dlc."

Too ironic?
Well, no. That's the thing. For all Kotick might seem like a schemer, he's very good at what he does, and that is make money for his business. If, say, they find people aren't willing to pay the higher prices, they'll lower them. Which would be, in essence, what you're saying. But if people DO still pay the prices they ask for games/hardware/DLC, then they have no reason to lower them.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
GonzoGamer said:

Too ironic?
Well, no. That's the thing. For all Kotick might seem like a schemer, he's very good at what he does, and that is make money for his business. If, say, they find people aren't willing to pay the higher prices, they'll lower them. Which would be, in essence, what you're saying. But if people DO still pay the prices they ask for games/hardware/DLC, then they have no reason to lower them.
The only problem is that the fanboys will give their left arms, their children, their right hands and a car to get CoD:MW2 no matter the price.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Hm. I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, per se.

His argument was that Sony needs to lower the cost on the PS3 not out of principle, but because people aren't as willing to pay the higher cost, so it isn't selling as well as it might be. If the PS3 were selling as well as its peers despite the higher price tag, they probably wouldn't be calling for a price cut since there'd be no evidence for it.

In that line of thought, if they raise the price of games $10 or so, and find that it severely impacts sales, then they'll probably lower them again, since they'd have empirical evidence that people weren't willing to pay the higher cost. On the other hand, if they raise the price but sales stay about the same, then they'll have realized that the new price is still within peoples' acceptable margins for how much a game should cost.

It's definitely a bit of a dick move to pull, no question about that. I just don't think it's necessarily a hypocritical one.
To expand on what AceDiamond said before (Holy crap, we're working together! I must be in hell *ba-dum-tsh*), Kotick said he wanted the price of the PS3 to be lowered because, like you said, people weren't willing to pay that much money in this economy.

But now, Kotick is raising the price on his games, and says that he wants to raise them even more. In jest or not, that is hypocrisy because for some reason he has a problem with Sony's prices in this economy yet he has no problem raising his prices in this economy. So it's okay to have game that are twice as expensive as normal ones, but you can't do the same for a console? A price increase for games is only natural, but those usually happen every generation or two, not in the middle of a generation and certainly not in this economy.

It may be a business, and they may want to make money, but if that's the case then why do people ***** about the price of the PS3? After all, Sony is a "business" and they "need to make some damn money" (It's need now, remember that AceDiamond!) don't they? But no, it's okay for Activision to raise the price because some how they need the money more than any other company (I may be putting words into your mouth, so sorry in advance >_>) despite the Blizzard part of Activision-Blizzard lands them more hookers than all the street corners in California can hold.

In my book, that's hypocrisy.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
He's making me dislike his brand more and more every day and it does effect whether I will or will not buy shit from his company. I wish Blizzard wasn't tied to this piece of crap.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
Unknower said:
Even CEOs are allowed to make jokes.
I highly doubt this.... Man , for lack of better non-explative word, is actuallly joking.