Activision Confirms Call of Duty's Move to Dead Space Devs

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Why don't they just let them round off the MW series in the next game? I mean it was blatantly going to have a sequel and a trilogy would be perfect.

kinky257

Apr 15, 2009
DarkSaber said:
If the PC crowd will have them back after getting fucked over by them with IWnet and the dedicated server thing. PC gamers can hold a grudge like that for years, and it's barely been 4 months.
Pebsy said:
IW kinda screwed themselves with cutting relations with activision (which isn't entirely their fault, but shrinking the 'call of duty' text on the box didnt help). And since IWnet and lack of dedicated server support as well as taking the modding community out back and putting it down with cruelty... well Infinity Ward... you almost had this one coming lol
Given the recent turn of events does the problems of MW2 not look forced upon them from a domineering Activision leading to this recent turn of events. Though until one side speaks up about how exactly they breached their contracts we'll not know if they were, say looking for a new publisher due to Activisions miss-management.

On to the article; One of the other updates implied the IW still owned the rights to the Call of Duty IP. If an Activision yes man is now head of IW does this mean he can now hand the rights over to them?

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
DarkSaber said:
thefreeman0001 said:
what a slap in the face for IW!!
hey thanks for making us money now GTFO!!!!

where they gonna go now? back to developing pc games?
If the PC crowd will have them back after getting fucked over by them with IWnet and the dedicated server thing. PC gamers can hold a grudge like that for years, and it's barely been 4 months.
Yah, but that might also have been a publisher decision to cut costs. We don't really know who's decision that was. I'm guessing that it's Activision that got the Steam deal and all, and is driving towards lamer tech at higher fees.

I sympathize, I have uninstalled Multiplayer 'cause the technology guarantees fail latency and hax - got real tired of shooting someone in the face 5 feet away, dying and seeing the killcam showing me shooting off to the left somewhere. Not to mention shooting someone 4-5 on full auto, then dying in mid-burst and the killcam showing me just not doing anything at all :(

So I now just wait for a friend to surface from his studies so we can play Special Ops together :\

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Congrats Activision.

You reward the company of one of the highest grossing games of all time by screwing them over.

If you make the cod games become subscription based then i will ask you to kindly gtfo of my house.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
It looks like Call of Duty is getting the shot to the head it needed - the direction it was going in was far from good anyway. Oh well; the good games will be sorely enjoyed while all the idiots buy any new ones.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I'll be the first to predict Call of Duty 8 will suffer from terrible mouse issues and it will drive away the hardcore crowd.

Don't know what I'm talking about? See here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=fi&source=hp&q=dead+space+mouse&btnG=Google-haku&meta=&cts=1267570440971&aq=f&oq=

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
Woodsey said:
brewbeard said:
Two years from now, all triple-A FPS games will operate via monthly fee.
They won't. If Activision try it, they'll fail.

Even the people I know who only play CoD will not pay for it monthly.
Oh rlly? X-box live says Hi.

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
I'v done a bit more reading now and you're right John, I was being a bit alarmist. A bit of a crazy thing to wake up in the morning, scroll over to the Escapist and hear news of a studio as big as IW being hit by Activision in such a way.

While I still don't like this, I'll cut Activision some slack. They may be in the right here, and IW may have been staking claims for better deals and more money, I'll be keeping my eyes out, pretty interested to see how this all pans out.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Even if Sledgehammer does do a good job with CoD they will still suck. Only because it's not the IW standard. If Activition kills of IW then I'll be calling them "Useless Wankers!" for a long time. So there goes my dream of working with IW. Now I guess I'll settle with High Voltage my second option.

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
brewbeard said:
It's irrelevant anyway, two years from now we'll still all be playing BF2 and Counter Strike anyway...
Speak for yourself. I'll still be playing Quake 3 arena.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
This is absolute bullshit. What the fuck are Activision thinking? I concur that they have lost their minds.

What I don't understand is that Dead Space is an EA game right? EA is the mortal enemy of Activision. So WTF? What am I missing here?

Finally, these new guys better make the best fucking MW game ever or it's over. Period. Infinity Ward may have taken a lot of shit recently but they make bank. Karma is a ***** Activision and you have just put a cyanide suppository up your own ass.

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
Guitar Hero, anyone?

PS2MAN said:
Woodsey said:
brewbeard said:
They won't. If Activision try it, they'll fail.

Even the people I know who only play CoD will not pay for it monthly.
Oh rlly? X-box live says Hi.
People won't pay for COD along with Xbox Live. No way. And the PS3 players will be even more adamant about it, I know a lot of people who chose the PS3 because it's free to play multiplayer.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Was this not rumoured aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss ago though.....wait a sec....(trawls through search engine)....yup....on this very site...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97305-Infinity-Ward-Not-Making-Modern-Warfare-3

So old news masquerading as new news so Activison Morningstar doesn't have to issue a proper press release on the issue?

Still, leaves you kinda cold when such a successful (and much loved) dev is given the run around by their publisher to such an extreme extent...

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
So basically a good franchise is being handed over to a couple of guys who made the blandest game ever?

Awesome. You've really outdone yourself Activision, give yourself a pat on the back. Then go jump off a cliff.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
That makes no sense whatsoever. They are taking a franchise away from the company that used it to make the biggest selling game of all time. I don't get it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Generic_Dave said:
Was this not rumoured aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss ago though.....wait a sec....(trawls through search engine)....yup....on this very site...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97305-Infinity-Ward-Not-Making-Modern-Warfare-3

So old news masquerading as new news so Activison Morningstar doesn't have to issue a proper press release on the issue?

Still, leaves you kinda cold when such a successful (and much loved) dev is given the run around by their publisher to such an extreme extent...
No proper press release? What do you call this then [http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=448656]?