Activision Considering Online Service for Call of Duty?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Activision Considering Online Service for Call of Duty?

According to a survey making its way around the internet, Activision is considering creating an online service for the Call of Duty games that would add a number of features to the multiplayer modes for an additional fee.

Modern Warfare 2 has made its grand debut but not all of us are so blinded by the superhuman feats on display in its single-player mode to notice that something's been missing from its picture. We all love a good Call of Duty campaign, but what about the other half of the game: multiplayer?

The reason Activision has been mum about multiplayer may be because it has very big and new ideas for how to handle it in the future of the Call of Duty franchise. According to what looks like an online survey conducted by Activision, the company is considering implementing some kind of online service for CoD that will supplement the multiplayer modes with "additional features" that could include early access to map packs, character customization, community and stat tracking, special modes and more.

"This online service would be IN ADDITION to all of the features that already come with Call of Duty games," the survey reads. "So, you would still have all aspects of Call of Duty that you've had in the past, with the option of getting the new service to add to the game for an additional fee."

That fee, the survey suggests, could come in the form of a special edition of the game or a subscription per month, quarter or year. The survey proposes a variety of packages with different features, and then asks which a consumer would prefer for a certain price. It seems relatively legitimate, though you can never tell these days.

Activision and Infinity Ward have revealed that they're trying new things with multiplayer for Modern Warfare 2, which will sport some kind of "live updating" feature meant to eliminate the need for patching the game. That's one thing - this whole online service is another. Whether or not it's real, would you guys be interested in it at all?

[Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/activision-exploring-an-mmo-style-service-for-call-of-duty-135924.phtml]]

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I'd like it if the new features would be included in the game without the additional fee. Not only because I'm being a cheapskate, but because it would be like paying for the same thing twice. First for the original multiplayer and again for the new features.

The live-updating sounds nice though.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Adding some shiney extras into a special edition would be pretty kewl & hardly unorthodox. As for subscriptions, I dont really think the COD games have the longterm playerbase for such a modal. Releasing a new game every year means a large migration between installments in relatively short time period.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Depends how good the services are... I think I might be interested but need more details.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
thisnameistaken2 said:
I dont get what it means by live updating :(

but i wont buy it im cheap and have no credit cards
Also, you've been here less than a 2 months and you have over 1000 posts? Christ...

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
thisnameistaken2 said:

As in the game updates itself without you having to download a patch and suffer downtime.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
WrongSprite said:
thisnameistaken2 said:

Also, you've been here less than a 2 months and you have over 1000 posts? Christ...
Were have you been? Loads of people signed up in March/April/May that have well over 2000 posts. On topic, it is quite a good idea on Activisions part, seeing as CoD4 still draws in loads of players on multiplayer, and they would make some serious cash, provided what they offered was worth it.

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
Another example of publishers breaking down games and selling them in parts.

DLC is really starting to look like a double-edged sword.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
No. A thousand times no. Not only because it's a terrible idea, but it would divide the online community between those who have it and those who don't care enough to get it.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I thought they meant COD MW 2 might not be online then. Worried me for a bit!

Ascarine

Mar 31, 2009
Oh dear god i hope they dnt put the RTU in because its just going to be another problem for it and in the end they will need to patch it. I mean look at CoD4 they started off with a pretty poor game and have had to patch it at least 5 times before they were happy with its workings then brought out 6 for new maps and 7 to fix them. It shows that Infinity Award seemingly don't understand the words Beta Testing.

Ascarine

Mar 31, 2009
meatloaf231 said:
No. A thousand times no. Not only because it's a terrible idea, but it would divide the online community between those who have it and those who don't care enough to get it.
Also thats a good point. If they decide to does this crappy idea they would have to make it so that it either creates an effective Berlin Wall or they would have to make it so that all that happens is you get stuff faster. And if they do the same cock up that CoD5 did they will "accidentilly" put in a fast rank system. Although on the part of CoD5 they knew that people would give up after a couple of weeks of playing because it all got too boring and generic to itself and its own maps. Shoot me now please. Actually i take that back. First shoot the CEOs of Treyarch and then i'll be happy = )

Apr 5, 2009
This definitely doesn't sound good. Another example of developers just going for more cash. Apart from x-box live, no other online shooter (that i know of) has a subsription fee, why does activision see the need to charge us for something that we already have? Sure I'm up for a special edition but if they put in a subscription fee I'm out. Why do develeopers see a limit to what they can put in a game? If they included these features anyway would't the game get more sales and be more well recieved by the gaming community instead of doing something like this and polarising the userbase?

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
If it's just a special edition thing, fine. I might buy that. But a MMO style fee? No, of course not. It wouldn't add nearly enough content to justify that, even most mmo's can't. I simply don't play the game that much.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I hate that, holding things back just to earn an extra buck. Now if it was after making the game, feeling it complete, then a brand new idea comes up and they want to add it, fine, but this is just greedy. Good thing I am done with CoD since I HATE perks and the level system. I am fine with CoD 2.