Activision Exec Blasts California Game Law in Newspaper Editorial

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision Exec Blasts California Game Law in Newspaper Editorial

The videogame industry is already doing a great job of keep violent games out of kid's hands, says Activision executive, and on its own dime too.

George Rose, the Vice President of Activision Blizzard, as well as the company's Chief Policy Officer, has penned an editorial article for the San Francisco Chronicle, attacking Leland Yee's videogame regulation law and condemning a lot of the evidence used to back it up as inconclusive or disingenuous.

Rose said it made no sense for California, or any other state, to replace an effective, "privately funded system" with a "costly state bureaucracy." He felt that the bill's supporters would accept nothing less than new legislation; however, the co-operation between the videogame industry and retailers meant that it was very difficult for someone underage to get their hands on an M-rated game.

He accused some zealous supporters of the bill of deliberately misrepresenting the videogame industry with titles like Postal, which was a commercial flop that retailers hadn't stocked for years. He derided the use of the game as a supposed exemplar of the state of the industry as a disingenuous attempt to generate unnecessary and unreasonable "drama and hysteria."

Rose also attacked the idea that the bill was backed up by hundreds of studies which proved the harm that videogames had on children. Every court that had looked at the issue of videogames' effect on children, he said, had found that research used to support the idea that they were harmful lacked credibility. He added that a group of 82 social scientists, medical scientists and media scholars felt so strongly that the claims in the bill were bogus that it had filed its own brief with the Supreme Court, calling the research "profoundly flawed."

While the editorial is pretty much everything you'd expect from an executive of a major videogame publisher, it does serve as an interesting counterpoint to a similar piece [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106362-California-Senator-Defends-Anti-Videogame-Law] by Yee, which he wrote for the San Diego Union-Tribune earlier this month, and rebuts nearly every point that Yee makes. It's not clear however, exactly how much sway either argument will have on the Supreme Court's decision. Obviously, the hope is that the bill will be thrown out - and there are signs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_281/8356-Battlefield-Washington] to suggest that it will - but we won't know for sure until the New Year.

Source: Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/12/30/activision039s-george-rose-schwarzenegger-vs-ema]

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Ofcourse the research were flawed. How cant they be when the people behind it were biased.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
Ofcourse the research were flawed. How cant they be when the people behind it were biased.
Yeah, you get the research you pay for. You want a result, find someone who will give you that result.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Is it even important to the legislation that games are harmful or not?

They're self-regulated effectively. The law is about external regulation. Who cares if games are harmful, the first thing you should ask is if the external regulation fills a role that self-regulation isn't already filling.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
You know if retailers would do their job this bill wouldn't be an issue. The retailers are who is to blame but no one here would ever accept that.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
so raise of hand who wants an increase in taxes to funding a law that is nye impossible to enforce? Not to mention can be circumvented easily by the same irresponsible parents who are allowing their kids to play these M Rated games now?

I sure don't.

Its funny how so many City/State Municipalities cry about lack of funding when their law makers are trying to find more ways to frivolously spend money.

Political aspirations under the guise of "Protect the Children" banner.

tehroc said:
You know if retailers would do their job this bill wouldn't be an issue. The retailers are who is to blame but no one here would ever accept that.
to be fair, the reason ppl don't pick on the retailers on this issue is because they already do the best job [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103555-Retailers-Turn-Away-80-of-Kids-Trying-to-Buy-M-Rated-Games] out of any other media retailers. Not to say they can't be blamed as well. Or the fact statistics can be skewed considering the Videogame retail space is far smaller than Movies, Books, and Music.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
HG131 said:
I... no, I can't say it. But I must. I... I agree with the Activision Exec.
Well, this guy isn't the devil incarnate so I think it's alright to agree with him.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
HG131 said:
Credge said:
HG131 said:
I... no, I can't say it. But I must. I... I agree with the Activision Exec.
Well, this guy isn't the devil incarnate so I think it's alright to agree with him.
But he works for him. That makes him an evil minion or a punch-clock one at worse.
Not necessarily, he could be working against the devil in secret and actually be on our side!! ...Or something. >_> <_<
Whatever he is, the man talks sense.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
tehroc said:
You mean the retailers that have a much higher rate of checking IDs and turning away underage customers than any other?
The retailers that tell parents point blank that GTA probably isn't appropriate for little Jimmy then promptly get yelled at because they "dare to tell me how to raise my child!"?
The same retailers that day in day out have to deal with idiot parents storming in and demanding their money back because "that horrible game" isn't suitable for children despite having used those exact words?

Yeah fuck those guys that obviously don't do their job, I mean it's not like the parents are supposed to actually parent their kids is it?

Oh Wait...

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
I've heard those songs "We Are The World" and "Give Peace A Chance" probably a bajillion times since they were released decades ago, and it doesn't seem that we've gotten world peace yet, or even just an end to famine.

How are video games influencing our future again?

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
moretimethansense said:
tehroc said:
You mean the retailers that have a much higher rate of checking IDs and turning away underage customers than any other?
The retailers that tell parents point blank that GTA probably isn't appropriate for little Jimmy then promptly get yelled at because they "dare to tell me how to raise my child!"?
The same retailers that day in day out have to deal with idiot parents storming in and demanding their money back because "that horrible game" isn't suitable for children despite having used those exact words?

Yeah fuck those guys that obviously don't do their job, I mean it's not like the parents are supposed to actually parent their kids is it?

Oh Wait...
QFT~
i got my mom to buy me lots of these violent games and iam one of the people who don't like hurting others .... my mom trusted me with almost anything because she knew i was more then mature enough to understand what it is and how to deal with it ...

Retailers were always decent and nice enough to tell me and her what games seem too bad for a kid my age ... which is exactly what their supposed to do. retailers are not the blame its the new age parents that only care about themselves that need to get a nice slap in the face instead of blaming every other person for their mistakes

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
phoenix352 said:
moretimethansense said:
tehroc said:

Oh Wait...
QFT~
i got my mom to buy me lots of these violent games and iam one of the people who don't like hurting others .... my mom trusted me with almost anything because she knew i was more then mature enough to understand what it is and how to deal with it ...

Retailers were always decent and nice enough to tell me and her what games seem too bad for a kid my age ... which is exactly what their supposed to do. retailers are not the blame its the new age parents that only care about themselves that need to get a nice slap in the face instead of blaming every other person for their mistakes
Heh, same here, I always got my mother to get me the violent games because my reaction (as a six year old) to seeing a man violently mutilated was basically

AWSOME!!
Kids are like that, they are nowhere near as innocent as people seem to think, which is weird considering that we all used to be one.
You'd think we'd remember.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
This can't be good. Activision is doing something gamers agree with.

Hide. Now. The end is nigh.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Am i seeing things? or is this Activision doing some good for once o_O

+1 to them...only another 10000000 to go until they hit the positive numbers...

Anyways...Yee and his followers are looking dumber every time this pops up, lets just hope this law thingy doesn't get passed.