Activision: Gamers Still Love Guitar Hero

surg3n

May 16, 2011
GH2 was the best, it had the best oldies, and the guitar was great too. In fact, I still use that guitar when playing Rock Band 2. Thing is though, the best of the bunch is really Rock Band 2 - there's no denying that - the way the band is setup is perfect, give each player a character to customise and let them get on with it.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Gamers: NO WE DON'T

We were sick of your franchise when Rock Band launched, and did what you did, and better. Flash forward, and based off the sales of Rock Band 3 its safe to say were sick of that game too.

Guitar Hero was snuffed out by DLC. There was less of it, for a larger price. I won't get into the music eah game had (arguing my taste in music is better than yours is just plain stupid), but I will say Rock Band ported the music better. It did a better job at splitting the guitar from the bass (and other instuments), and by the end Guitar Hero was more focused on being a hard game than a fun one. On the flip side, Rock Band was centered around being accessable and multiplayer.

Without a revamp, dont waste our time. Dont build hype for a franchise you will not treat with respect. It was a videogame fad. Now its over

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
New Troll said:
I still love Guitar Hero though I honestly don't play as much anymore. But I feel it wasn't Guitar Hero that ruined the franchise as much as the other Hero games. I work retail and still have tons of DJ Hero and DJ Hero 2's I can't get rid of at any price. And believe me, I've tried! Next step, give them away free with other purchases. Only other thing I can think of...
I want to buy DJ Hero, really, I do, but I actually have almost every musical peripheral product with the exception of the drum set.

OT: I won't say Guitar Hero any longer, but Rock Band, rather, has been the mainstay of my music playing games (Send me a PM, I'm playing it rather regularly), but if either Rock Band or Guitar Hero decide to make a comeback, there is only one reason I would buy a new game, and until it's answered, I'm not big on the whole idea of buying more sequels:
+
=

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I got bored of the franchise after the 3rd one.

Mostly because they were really running out of awesome and iconic tracks to stick in the game.

It started to go down hill when they started adding other freakin' instruments.
The problem wasn't so much the lack of tracks as they started to dole them out with an eyedropper because there was more marketability that way.

Also, multiple instrument support is awesome.

The funniest part about this is that they vowed continued support via DLC, released one more pack, then quit. They were already talking about their mistakes then, and then made another one.

In a couple years, they almost certainly WILL bring back the franchise, and make the same mistakes.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shogunblade said:
OT: I won't say Guitar Hero any longer, but Rock Band, rather, has been the mainstay of my music playing games (Send me a PM, I'm playing it rather regularly), but if either Rock Band or Guitar Hero decide to make a comeback, there is only one reason I would buy a new game, and until it's answered, I'm not big on the whole idea of buying more sequels:
I don't think Rock Band will have a sequel any time soon. Fortunately, there's still a nice stream of DLC coming out. I probably would have passed on RB3, but...KEYBOARDS! The other "pro"
instrument options are nice, too, but my drum kit's sitting in storage and may be dead, and my pro guitar literally did die in a fire. Not replacing the latter any time soon.

I spend most of my RB time trying to learn and play the key parts, anyway. Singing's still fun, but I don't have any friends who can sing, so harmonies are out, and I still break out my fake guitar, but not as often.

RB3 may actually be the best title to date, considering the additions and a pretty solid soundtrack, plus backward compatibility. IT's a shame it came AFTER market saturation, but at least Harmonix is still supporting it.

Now give me some more Tribe, dammit!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Mostly because they were really running out of awesome and iconic tracks to stick in the game.

It started to go down hill when they started adding other freakin' instruments.
Agreed. It's just so painfully obvious the way they slightly tweak the peripherals so that you pretty much have to buy the new ones every time. The whole thing went from a fun, fresh idea to a stagnant cash cow, and really bloody fast at that.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Personally, I'd like to see fewer boxed releases - maybe one every couple of years, if that - and much greater online support. A unified music library - perhaps even including downloads for legacy games - wouldn't hurt either."

Actually, what it needs is to be compatible with the first guitars.
Cause I have two, and zero money and interest to get new ones!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I stopped caring about Guitar Hero when Rock Band came out. RB was, in every way, a much better franchise.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
The story of Guitar Hero is what happens when you have a team as smart and talented as Harmonix, but you insist on milking the same game over and over instead of trusting the team to deliver the next great thing. Good move Activision.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I have Beatles Rock Band. Therefore, I have all the rhythm-based games I'll ever need.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Exactly that. The songs in World Tour were largely garbage or not very fun to play.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I was really excited for the very first one, and couldn't care less for any other. They're still pretty fun at parties, but that's it.