Activision Inviting Gamers to Murder Their Makers at Spike VGAs

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision Inviting Gamers to Murder Their Makers at Spike VGAs

Killer or Detective? That's the question that Activision is asking with a new teaser website.

Much like BioWare [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105477-BioWare-Drops-Another-Hint], Activision has a mysterious new game it plans to announce at the Spike Videogame Awards next month, and it would rather like us to start guessing and speculating about it at our earliest convenience.

The publisher has set up a teaser website [http://www.murderyourmaker.com/], with nothing on it but a single image of a man looking at a cluttered collection of newspaper clippings, notes and missing persons notices, all linked to points on a map. The man has his back to us, so we can't tell anything about him other than he has a shaved head and wears a vibrant red scarf. The on-screen text simply says "Murder Your Maker. 12.11.2010. Spike TV Videogame Awards."

Unfortunately, the camera's focus is on the man's back, rather than the wall, so it's hard to make out any details. You can see what looks like a missing persons poster for eight people in the bottom right hand corner, a black and white image that kind of looks like the brain slice images [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Computed_tomography_of_human_brain_-_large.png] you get from CAT scanners above that and something that could be a pickaxe in the bottom left corner. What a pickaxe and a CAT scan might have to do eight missing people is anyone's guess, however.

There's also likely a lot of significance in "murder your maker." The phrase is usually "meet your maker," and refers to people dying and going on to the afterlife. This could hint at some religious connotations, or perhaps a parent on the trail of his or her murderous offspring.

I'm guessing the guy in the red scarf is someone on the trail of a serial killer, and not a killer himself, because the wall looks like an effort to track a person down, rather than a wall of treasured, and diabolical, memories. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a atmospheric psychological horror game, because genuinely creepy games are too few and far between, and it would be a real treat to play a new one.

The Spike Videogame Awards take place on December 11th, which is when we'll find out what's really going on.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277886?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Activision? Making a new IP?!?!... Did you hear that? Hell just erupted.

I would much like to play a killer, Batman AA has kinda taken the detective and made it awesome.

A killer running away and leaving clues for the Detective would be kinda new though. but would be kinda tricky, considering the Detective would be AI =\

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Am I too be thrilled?

Activision is just a bland publisher/developer any way.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
arc1991 said:

I would much like to play a killer, Batman AA has kinda taken the detective and made it awesome.

A killer running away and leaving clues for the Detective would be kinda new though. but would be kinda tricky, considering the Detective would be AI =\
What makes you think this is an IP?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
corrupt said:
I hope it's new Hitman game.
IO interactive is now owned by square enix so thats not very likely, and if i remember correctly he killed his maker along with a couple of himselfs at the end of the first one.

but i also thought of 47 right away, i mean bald, red piece of clothing around the neck and tracking down people, it sure seems rather hitmanish.

i kinda hope its a rip off, thats how starved i am for a new hitman game or a good stealth game.

corrupt

Jul 7, 2010
njsykora said:
corrupt said:
Not from Activision, Square Enix own the Hitman licence.
Well, as far as my imagination goes, Square Enix could sell Hitman franchise rights to Activision. It's all about the money nowadays, isn't it?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
WrongSprite said:
arc1991 said:

What makes you think this is an IP?
Just looks different, and doesn't look like a franchise.

Although with that bald head it could be Hitman. I hope not, i never got into them games *Hides behind wall in shame*

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm absolutely sick to death of FPS's, and I bet this is a first person shooter. Tell you what Activision, if this is not a first person shooter, I will buy it, regardless of what it is. However, I am confident that I will not have to buy this game, whatever it is.

corrupt

Jul 7, 2010
TrollOgerElf said:
corrupt said:
It does smell like so much like Hitman.
Could be an illusion you know :\
all smoke and mirrors its another speece marines
Yeah, could be. *sigh* I missed the bold dude.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
How is this not clear? It's a new Hitman game. 47 is a product of recombinant DNA from 5 dangerous criminals. He was created. MADE. And he's a murderer.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hmm... Interesting. COuld also be a killer trying to see how closely he's being linked to the clues... I'm seriously hoping this is an interesting project and not jsut a bland FPS of some sort...
Let's put some SMARTS in our games!

TrollOgerElf

Sep 19, 2010
[zonking great said:
]How is this not clear? It's a new Hitman game. 47 is a product of recombinant DNA from 5 dangerous criminals. He was created. MADE. And he's a murderer.
Its all just fun and games man relax. :p

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
I hoped we were gonna get the opportunity to throw knives at Bobby Kotick('s cardboard cutout), ah well

[zonking great said:
]How is this not clear? It's a new Hitman game. 47 is a product of recombinant DNA from 5 dangerous criminals. He was created. MADE. And he's a murderer.
He's not a murderer he's an assassin, theres a difference...assassin starts with an a...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Hopefully it's not a new COD, maybe Bungie's new project? Oh whatever it's Activision so i'm not going to get my hopes up for anything original. Much more excited about Bioware's announcement at Spike, Mass Effect 3 k thx!