Activision Mad About Modern Warfare 3 Site, Trying to Get it Taken Down

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision Mad About Modern Warfare 3 Site, Trying to Get it Taken Down

The publisher says that whoever owns the domain is using it in "bad faith."

Someone is using [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111589-Modern-Warfare-3-Domain-Used-to-Promote-Battlefield-3] the "modernwarfare3.com" domain name to advertise Battlefield 3, and predictably enough, Call of Duty publisher, Activision, is less than pleased about the domain pointing people towards the game's biggest rival. The publisher has submitted a complaint with a view to getting the domain transferred to its control.

The publisher made its complaint under the "Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution" policy of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN. It said that the respondent had no legitimate interest in the domain and that it was "identical or confusingly similar" to Activision's existing trademarks. It said that the respondent, who had snapped up the domain anonymously via the company, Domains by Proxy, had registered and used it in bad faith.

Looking over the complaint - which you can read in full here [http://fusible.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Modernwarfare3-Com-Udrp-Complaint.pdf] - Activision puts forward a pretty good case, which presumably wasn't terribly difficult, given the circumstances. It's pretty remarkable that Activision let it get itself into this situation, but you can bet it's going to take steps so that it doesn't happen again.

Source: via Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/07/the-war-for-modernwarfare3com-with-special-battlefield-3-appearance.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss]

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
A little late eh? They had all the time to jump on these domains. Shit, EA got domains for BattleField 3, 4, and 5, all back in 2006.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
inb4 the UMAD jokes.
I guess they will win as they really do have a good case, that will probably teach them to register every CoD-related domain up to CoD10...

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
what if someone were to patent Mw4s name? what would happen then?

OFFT:I have a litle experiment that I need to work out I probabely will be banned for this but Hopefully I won't

come on press it for science I want to see if it works it probabley won't though

Mod edit ~ button removed, the pretty girls that show up after pressing it is detracting from the news article, please stay on topic people.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
My thoughts on the situation.

EA: "LOL UMAD, Activision?"

PopCap: "Yeah, HE MAD."
Viruzzo said:
inb4 the UMAD jokes.
I guess they will win as they really do have a good case, that will probably teach them to register every CoD-related domain up to CoD10...
Good timing.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I am amazed Activision hasn't already registered this domain. Even if they had no intention of making a Modern Warfare 3 its common practice to snap up similar sounding domains. I can see them getting their way and wont hate them for it, the owners are pushing their luck a bit.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Can't they just bribe the guys who own the site with free copies of Battlefield 3, rather than paying all the legal fees involved?

Or with Steak. People like Steak.

... I want Steak...

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
I think I speak for at least a small amount of people when I say you mad bro?

Edit: Trying to get a picture of a trollface in here but I can't figure out the image tag *facepalm at self*

Another edit: I don't blame Activision for wanting the site down, it is using the name of their game to advertise another company's game after all. I still find this funny, however.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
If the web address was made before Activision made the Modern Warfare 3 copyright, then they have no right to try and shut that site down, if you ask me.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
CatBus said:
Ah Activision, when will you start acting like grown ups? I'm starting to think that it's Activison employees we hear online screaming racist/homophobic slurs whenever anybody mentions another game.
They are acting like grown ups given they are following the established protocol rather than say whining to the public or, alternatively, throwing the corporate equivalent of a tantrum and suing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ha that was awesome, freakin' perfect trolling by whoever put that up. I wonder if it'll get taken down?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
johnman said:
I am amazed Activision hasn't already registered this domain.

-snip-
I'm amazed you have to have "good faith" in a site name to buy it.

Activision might as well try to copyright/trademark/patent or whatever(not sure which one applies to this statement) the word 'modern', the word 'warfare' and the number 3.

Xealeon said:
Someone register modernwarfare4.com, quick!
I heard it was already taken.

Logan Westbrook said:
This is also something that could happen again, as Activision was unable to secure the "modernwarfare4" domain.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.300061-Modern-Warfare-3-Domain-Used-to-Promote-Battlefield-3