Activision Mad About Modern Warfare 3 Site, Trying to Get it Taken Down

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I hate to use troll phrases, but loltheyma-
Viruzzo said:
inb4 the UMAD jokes.
I guess they will win as they really do have a good case, that will probably teach them to register every CoD-related domain up to CoD10...
DAMMIT I DON'T CARE! Loltheymad.

I still find this hilarious. And personally, I kinda hope they don't win this case. Sure this is a blatant pre emptive steal, but still, they really should've got it first.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
This whole thing amuses me greatly. A marvelously simple troll of Activision with delicious use of thier own foolishness.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
They'll probably win, even though they shouldn't. Plenty of other people use misleading names: Like the Australian Vaccine Network - you'd think such a site would be about giving honest information about vaccines and where people can get them. In fact, the site is nothing more than a sewer of pseudo-science, anti-vaccine hysteria and misleading facts and quotes taken out of context. But since it has an "official" sounding name, many members of the public have been suckered in by the misleading claims.

If they can still use names to trick people, I think they should let this guy keep his website. He registered it first, and he's not using an illegitimate images. At the very least, Activision should be forced to pay a bit of money to the guy for the website.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Patrick Young said:
what if someone were to patent Mw4s name? what would happen then?
You can't patent a game title. It would be protected as a trademark, and no one else would be able to go and use the name Modern Warfare 4 for a game since the Modern Warfare franchise is a protected trademark. If someone did, Activision would be well within their rights to sue them and I would guarantee they would not lose that case.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
I had no idea Battlefield 3 fanboys were such... fanboys.

You don't see CoD fans making mock sites of Battlefield 3, do you?

fabiosooner

Sep 3, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
CatBus said:
Ah Activision, when will you start acting like grown ups? I'm starting to think that it's Activison employees we hear online screaming racist/homophobic slurs whenever anybody mentions another game.
They are acting like grown ups given they are following the established protocol rather than say whining to the public or, alternatively, throwing the corporate equivalent of a tantrum and suing.
You know, now that you put it this way, I gotta grant them credit. Indeed, they could've tried to find those responsible and suit them to kingdom come. This was surprising low profile to Activision, considering how they treated the Infinity Ward/Respawn guys case.

The situation is still pretty funny and unusual, though.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
fabiosooner said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
CatBus said:
Ah Activision, when will you start acting like grown ups? I'm starting to think that it's Activison employees we hear online screaming racist/homophobic slurs whenever anybody mentions another game.
They are acting like grown ups given they are following the established protocol rather than say whining to the public or, alternatively, throwing the corporate equivalent of a tantrum and suing.
You know, now that you put it this way, I gotta grant them credit. Indeed, they could've tried to find those responsible and suit them to kingdom come. This was surprising low profile to Activision, considering how they treated the Infinity Ward/Respawn guys case.

The situation is still pretty funny and unusual, though.
Are we suggesting the angry team of badgers was replaced by something coming close to the intellect of a monkey!?
Their actions suggest...tact and forethought...almost like a real human being!

Pffft, gotta be April fools or something...

Apr 5, 2008
If they win, it really goes go to show just how much power corporations have in america. They do whatever they want, always get there way and fair and just mean nothing compared to the bottom line.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
CatBus said:
Actually, that IS the grown up way of dealing with it. They are required, by trademark law, to defend their trademarks or have them nullified. They cannot 'let it go' like some people think.

The grownup thing to do is to protect their trademarks rather than lose 'modern warfare' and prevent further use of it by the company.

The childish way of doing it would be to ignore it and think it'd go away.

Korolev said:
They'll probably win, even though they shouldn't. Plenty of other people use misleading names: Like the Australian Vaccine Network - you'd think such a site would be about giving honest information about vaccines and where people can get them. In fact, the site is nothing more than a sewer of pseudo-science, anti-vaccine hysteria and misleading facts and quotes taken out of context. But since it has an "official" sounding name, many members of the public have been suckered in by the misleading claims.

If they can still use names to trick people, I think they should let this guy keep his website. He registered it first, and he's not using an illegitimate images. At the very least, Activision should be forced to pay a bit of money to the guy for the website.
This isn't a case like where the WWE had to change their name because it had the same abbreviation as the World Wildlife Fund. This is a case where a trademark owned by Activision was used to link to a competitor's product. This isn't 'iffy.' As much as you can hate Activision, they're not the villains in this. It's a funny prank... but it's a funny prank with very serious repercussions. Activision's not going after the company that owns the domain, which IS the high road here. They have every right to.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Looks like Activision didn't even try to think about buying the domain ahead of time and now someone's beaten them to it they act like spoilt childish brats demanding they obtain the domain simply out of the term "bad faith" instead of i don't know buying the domain of ther person who already owns it? you know instead of acting like high class dicks bullying smeone into giving them what they want and also they are totally mad bro because their game is already shit compared to BF3 so they lose THEY GET NOTHING.

On a side note i hope they (Activision) lose and get driven to the ground one day for the childish dicks that they are along with Bobby aka the Devil.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
You see if they'd have decided to make Space Warfare/Advanced Warfare/Future Warfare and take advantage of things they'd already trademarked, instead of making another sequel to a franchise infamous for being the exact same thing but worse, they wouldn't be in this situation, would they?

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Looks like Activision didn't even try to think about buying the domain ahead of time and now someone's beaten them to it they act like spoilt childish brats demanding they obtain the domain simply out of the term "bad faith" instead of i don't know buying the domain of ther person who already owns it? you know instead of acting like high class dicks bullying smeone into giving them what they want and also they are totally mad bro because their game is already shit compared to BF3 so they lose THEY GET NOTHING.
"Bad faith" has specific meaning under the laws that govern things like domain names and such. The corporation that controls that is held accountable under those laws. Bad faith means if you take a website for the express purpose of infringing on a trademark, for example... say you were taking a company's registered trademark, and using the domain to link to competing products.

See, the thing is, whoever owns the domain name aside, Activision owns the 'modernwarfare3' part of it, and unless the buyer of the domain can prove fair use (which linking to a competitor is NOT, by the way), then they can get screwed under trademark law.

That 'first come, first served' rule? That's a corporate policy, and actually is not law. Law trumps not-law.

On a side note i hope they (Activision) lose and get driven to the ground one day for the childish dicks that they are along with Bobby aka the Devil.
It's not being childish. They -have- to by law. Trademark law doesn't allow you to go 'Naw, not worth it.' Trademarks MUST be defended, or you lose them.

If you don't understand such a basic concept, don't criticize. Activision might be dicks, but in this, they're in the right.

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
Patrick Young said:
what if someone were to patent Mw4s name? what would happen then?

OFFT:I have a litle experiment that I need to work out I probabely will be banned for this but Hopefully I won't

come on press it for science I want to see if it works it probabley won't though
It worked. Damn you, I tried to help.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Well, he made a website about Modern Warfare 3, and how it's worse than Battlefield 3. He also made a website about a modern warfare game that is the third in the series. I think his use is legitimate.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010

Besides, anyone should know to reserve domain names as soon as possible, especially an entity that so many people love to take the piss out of. In this case, it was absolutely worth it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I've never really liked trolling that much before, but this is the best trolling I've ever seen.
Hey Bobby? LOL. Cry moar n00b.