Activision Now Hiring Bullshot Artist

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Activision Now Hiring Bullshot Artist

Handy with Photoshop and got a knack for making a game look better than it actually does? Activision might just have the job for you.

Everybody knows that screenshots for games get touched up as much as pictures of any girl in Maxim. Though gamers have had plenty of fun mocking the transparently fake nature of doctored screens, developers have bullshots [http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&message.id=17675#M17675]." Activision, however, seems to be so desperate to hire someone to make bullshots that it's willing to come out in the public and admit to the practice.

Gamasutra [http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/949/949119p1.html]that Activision posted, looking for a talented "Art Services Screenshot Associate." The job description sounds fairly pedestrian, calling for screencapturing and asset management. "The Art Services Screenshot Associate provides support services to all engaged departments: PR, Marketing, Production and development studios to produce high-quality screenshots, model renders and other art assets," the listing reads. "Typical end use will include screenshots for editorial, packaging, advertising, manuals and more, as needed."

From the "Other" category of the posting, however, comes this: "Perform advanced retouching of screenshots and teach skills to others as needed." Aha! Caught red-handed. Keep in mind that in order to qualify for the job, you need to be "even-tempered and able to interact well, under pressure, with multiple teams on multiple projects with tight deadlines" and handy with Photoshop CS3 and 3ds Max and Maya. They'll be looking for a demo reel, so open up some Perfect Dark Zero [http://www.1up.com/do/imageDisplay?id=2341021] screenshots and make them bloom! That'll show 'em what you can do.

All kidding aside, I'm not going to rag on Activision for making bullshots - it's such common practice that most of us know better than to be duped. I'm just surprised the company is clumsy enough to accidentally admit to it like this.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Definitely not surprising, and I don't even think it needs to be hidden anymore.

I mean, everyone knows that bullshots are commonly used to promote a game; why should it be a "secret"?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Tenmar said:
Honestly I think this might be a good job for those who are interested in getting in the industry especially if they have the skills and portfolio. Although they really do need to show what actual gameplay looks like versus photoshop, but showing that artwork does sell.
I would apply for this job.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
Keane Ng said:
Tenmar said:
Honestly I think this might be a good job for those who are interested in getting in the industry especially if they have the skills and portfolio. Although they really do need to show what actual gameplay looks like versus photoshop, but showing that artwork does sell.
I would apply for this job.
Me too. I see nothing wrong with the job, in fact, Activision admitting to it is a good thing, the companies who hide it are the devious sneaky ones.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
zoozilla said:
Definitely not surprising, and I don't even think it needs to be hidden anymore.

I mean, everyone knows that bullshots are commonly used to promote a game; why should it be a "secret"?
I will openly admit I didn't know about this :).

Then again I treat all screen shots as superfluous information. Because I've never played a game that felt as good as it looked.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Am I the only one who misread that as "bullshit artist" at first glance?
Nope, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who immediately thought of the Unemployment Office scene from History of the World Part I.

Nov 28, 2007
SimuLord said:
thebobmaster said:
Am I the only one who misread that as "bullshit artist" at first glance?
Nope, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who immediately thought of the Unemployment Office scene from History of the World Part I.
"Have you bullshitted anyone lately?"