Activision Releases Date and Details for Destiny's The Dark Below

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Activision Releases Date and Details for Destiny's The Dark Below

Activision has revealed more details about Destiny's new expansion The Dark Below, including a release date and a few extra goodies for PlayStation players.

Activision has released more information into the wild about Destiny's long-awaited first expansion. Entitled The Dark Below, the expansion will be released December 9 as the first of two scheduled packs.

The Dark Below brings new weapons, armor, and gear to the table as well as a new story branch and a Light Level cap increase to 32. The focal point of the expansion's story is a mysterious character named Eris, who has hid among the nooks and crannies of the Hive for years before escaping to the Tower, and brings ill tidings of The Hive's latest plans. The Hive intends to summon a god named Crota to destroy humanity. Players will be able to take on three new missions from Eris which will increase player's Light and offer rewards.

In addition to the new quest and mission content, players can take part in a new co-op strike, which pits a fireteam against Omnigul as she attempts to expand the Hive at Crota's command. A new six-player raid named Crota's End will cap things off in the depths of Hellmouth.

Both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 owners will receive an exclusive co-op strike entitled The Undying Mind as well as an exclusive exotic weapon.

The Dark Below will retail for $20 standalone or players can still purchase the Expansion Pass which will give access to both expansions for $35. The Dark Below will release December 9 for all Destiny versions.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Huh. $20. I hope there's as much content as, say, Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion. What are the chances of that, I wonder?

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
"Long-awaited?" Destiny came out in the beginning of September didn't it? That doesn't seem very long at all.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Man, reading through that was kind of painful. The names are just so...bland. I had heard about this in reviews (and the Honest Trailer), but still, I had thought that they'd at least spice things up a little with the DLC. At least the god's name is different and isn't just called, "God".

I might be getting this game when I get my PS4, but it would only be as part of that white PS4 bundle. I have really heard or seen anything about this game that makes me want to really go out and pick it up.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The cool thing about Destiny is that by the time they make a PC port, the game will be sufficiently fixed and have enough content to be actually worth playing... :p

Seriously, though, what were you expecting? This is Activision we're talking about. Pricing content in proportion to its quantity is as alien to them as pedonecrozoophilia is to you, and likely just as revolting...

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
All ready stopped playing and I don't care. Raids should have come at a a lower level and with some matchmaking. The best part of the game many people won't play because they don't have 5 other friends to play with them.

LostCrusader said:
Can there really be a "new story branch" when there wasn't a story to begin with?
I was thinking the same thing. Can there be a branch if there wasn't a tree in the first place?

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Honestly, I would've have been ok with this if they at least added some more weapon types; I mean, what do we have for primaries right now? 3 types of 'Rifle', and Revolvers. That's it. I mean come on, they could at least add SOMETHING laser or plasma based in there right? This is a Sci-Fi shooter, they could add almost anything, yet they stick to basic stuff... (hell, even being able to use the enemies weapons would've been nice - Exotic Shrapnel Launcher anyone?)

Also, this probably means a lot of gear people have been spending weeks getting will become obsolete, along with those current exotics... bleh.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Jandau said:
Pricing content in proportion to its quantity is as alien to them as pedonecrozoophilia is to you, and likely just as revolting...
*Spittake* Holy crap, that's a hilarious analogy. Thanks for making my day.

OT: First thought that came up after that sentence about Eris: where did s/he get enough food to survive in the Hellmouth for years? Unless their ship was stuffed to the bulkheads with water and soylent green for their Ghost to teleport into their suit's reserves I don't see how that's possible. (Or I just put more thought into the logistics of it than Bungie did...)

As for the content, a level increase of 2 that's locked to gear, so my "special" snowflake is gonna end up looking like even more of a stencil result; 1 new strike cause I don't own a PlayStation, so fuck me; a raid I can't play (just like the current one!) since none of my friends have Destiny and Bungie refuses to put in matchmaking for that; and 3 story missions (wonder how many will end with a mini-horde mode. I'm guessing 3) from a mysterious character (what, we couldn't recycle one of the existing mysterious characters? There's only... everyone. Also wonder if s/he'll be allowed to give us lore). All for $20.

Yeah, screw that.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I seem to be the only one somewhat excited by this news. Been waiting for more content for a little while, albeit I'll be lucky to hit 30 at this rate let alone 32 due to the raid refusing to give me any gear other than weapons.

I do feel bad that xbox owners get "boned" (sorry couldn't resist :p) and they have to pay the same as playstation owners and get less content. Destiny has a lot of problems at its core (no story or explanation of anything, no matchmaking for the raid, and no voice chat to name a few) but I still find myself coming back because I think it's got decent core mechanics. Just wish they had fixed that stuff before releasing the game or even the dlc.

I've sank about 4 full days worth of play time into it since I got it a week or two after release so I'll be happy to pay 20 bucks for the dlc and hopefully get even more enjoyment out of it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Issurru said:
I seem to be the only one somewhat excited by this news. Been waiting for more content for a little while, albeit I'll be lucky to hit 30 at this rate let alone 32 due to the raid refusing to give me any gear other than weapons.

I do feel bad that xbox owners get "boned" (sorry couldn't resist :p) and they have to pay the same as playstation owners and get less content. Destiny has a lot of problems at its core (no story or explanation of anything, no matchmaking for the raid, and no voice chat to name a few) but I still find myself coming back because I think it's got decent core mechanics. Just wish they had fixed that stuff before releasing the game or even the dlc.

I've sank about 4 full days worth of play time into it since I got it a week or two after release so I'll be happy to pay 20 bucks for the dlc and hopefully get even more enjoyment out of it.
Wow, someone in the Escapist forums that enjoys this game? You really are a snowflake. It's like saying you're a "happy ESO player". Must be something about the MMO mindset that breeds this sort of spite. I haven't played the game much this month, because Halloween (I really gotta get back to a 6 hour pumpkin carving I have planned tonight) but I'll be back on starting Nov 1 and do plan on putting in my $35 for expansions because I'm addicted to PvP, bounties, and daily strikes.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Wow, just wow, they really think they can charge $20 for DLC or a bang up bargain of $35 for two and no-one is going to call them out for it?

I'm really glad i haven't bought into next gen yet

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Remus said:
Wow, someone in the Escapist forums that enjoys this game? You really are a snowflake. It's like saying you're a "happy ESO player". Must be something about the MMO mindset that breeds this sort of spite. I haven't played the game much this month, because Halloween (I really gotta get back to a 6 hour pumpkin carving I have planned tonight) but I'll be back on starting Nov 1 and do plan on putting in my $35 for expansions because I'm addicted to PvP, bounties, and daily strikes.
It's funny that you mention that.... I was a fan of ESO, until my friends slowly stopped playing then we quit altogether. It too could have been better but I never thought it was going to be the "Next best [insert title or whatever you want here] same as Destiny. I haven't bought into hype for awhile and actually never really paid any attention to either game during development so I was pleasantly surprised at both

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
I'm not sure introducing new characters is a particularly good idea, given the lackluster personality almost every other narrative character has in the game. Considering how long ago the trademark was filed this was probably planned from the start, but given the apparent changes made to the story it seems like a missed opportunity to flesh out The Stranger or anyone else.

Silvianoshei said:
"The Dark Below" Did they see that Blizzard fake copyright thing and go, "huh, that'll work"?
Activision and Blizzard merged some time ago. Ostensibly Acti-Blizz filed the trademark on Bungie's behalf, which could suggest Bungie doesn't wholly own the game they developed.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
ArkhamHorror said:
I'm not sure introducing new characters is a particularly good idea, given the lackluster personality almost every other narrative character has in the game. Considering how long ago the trademark was filed this was probably planned from the start, but given the apparent changes made to the story it seems like a missed opportunity to flesh out The Stranger or anyone else.

Silvianoshei said:
"The Dark Below" Did they see that Blizzard fake copyright thing and go, "huh, that'll work"?
Activision and Blizzard merged some time ago. Ostensibly Acti-Blizz filed the trademark on Bungie's behalf, which could suggest Bungie doesn't wholly own the game they developed.

OHHHHH.....That just clicked. No wonder people we're so confused. Well played, Actibliz. Nice deception there.