Activision Unveils New Call of Duty Online Service

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
As long as the people who pay don't get the better weapons and thus an unfair advantage, I can totally see Activision doing that.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
This'll be the last CoD for me just because I want Spec Ops for Co Op, I can see this being a slippery slope even though most internets people are smart enough to avoid this we'll be in minority I fear and will be enough of a success for Activision to make this mandatory for the next installment.

Oh well hopefully the Battlefield series will keep improving or even better someone will create a new unique IP.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
tghm1801 said:
Didn't Bungie do this for free?
So your comparing Bungie, the company which is probably the most in-touch and friendly with its community, to Activision? hoi hoi...

OT: Sounds a bit like a incentive not to pirate the game, but charging for it? Doesn't that destroy the whole point?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
GOD DAMMIT!!!!

TheRightToArmBears said:
You know, so long as the core online play is unaffected I don't really care. I won't get it, but I don't mind it being there.

In any case, cue lots of bitching in 3,2,1..
DOUBLE GOD DAMMIT!!!! Is this considered ninja'd? As he called out the bitching...

Anyways, I feel this is just the start. First a $10 price raise for COD, than $15 map packs. Its only time until Kodick starts treating COD like a MMO with monthly fees.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Activision knows COD's main audience well. Anyone willing to pay $15 for a few maps will eat this up. I bet it's a rousing success and Activision will convert COD into a full monthly fee MMO. But like others have said, this keeps the retards out of the real online shooters. So it's a win-win (until others start the same crap for their games).

Seabear

May 22, 2011
The trailer was fun, I'll admit, but yeah. Bungie.net does this for free.

If I want a map pack, I'll pay a one off fee, thanks.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Cue infividual map after individual map until the online may as well be elite exclusive, because those maps are the most likely ones to come up.

Shame. I loved the campaign trailer, but now there's no way in hell I'm buying a half locked game. 8 dollars a month? I'm not sure on the currency but I'm pretty sure it still works out a little over an actual live subscription per month.

And would there be prepaid cards? If not, then it means gamers may have to hand over bank details to activision, Akin to giving Satan you car keys or letting the Italian prime minister sleep in the same building as your wife.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
MightyMole said:
Wait.. So they're starting to do pretty much the same thing Bungie does for free... And then expecting people to pay for it...

Ahaha...

Ahahahahahahahaha...

I get that its an optional service but... C'mon!
If the recent history of CoD map packs have taught me anything, it's to not have faith in my video game playing brethren. They all spent 1/4th of the price for around 1/50th of the content (if even that) for past CoD games.

I'd even wager that half the naysayers in this thread eventually rationalize the purchase to themselves somehow. We're being shovel-fed bullshit at this point. And we're paying to have them feed it to us. Astounding.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Valve already let you make videos and upload them to youtube in Team Fortress 2 for free and a lot of other developers have done simillar tings for free. Not that it bother me, i will enjoy some Battlefield 3 instead.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
...In an interview, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick defended the subscription fee, saying that Elite was a major undertaking, and it wouldn't be able to offer the same level of support if it was completely free...
Ahahahahahahaha, bullshit. You have been for, what, 4 years since CoD4? Top that with the cash cow of World of Warcraft, and you seriously expect us to believe that you somehow can't support a single game in a franchise that has brought you billions upon billions of dollars?

That's got to say something about their managerial efficiency, I swear...

Honestly, I don't know what to feel about this. While, yes, this service is (hopefully) not necessary to play or give any advantages, but I can't help but think of the implications behind it. Activision just want more and more and more, and if you will pardon me using a slippery slope here, I would not be surprised if they made it mandatory to charge something in this game to play with. It would also not surprise me if other games playing follow-the-leader start charging for their service in addition to multiplayer. We've already sort-of got it with online passes that EA is haphazardly pushing, once they see how inevitably successful this is they're going to want a piece of that pie.

So, in the end, I say "fuck you Activision and your money-grubbing subscription". I'm not going to buy the game anyway as I'm in a personal boycott with Activision that I doubt will end any time soon. To those who will buy the game, I do say with the utmost sincerity that I wish you a good game. No reason why you should get shit for your money, after all. Whatever happens, this is probably going to sell well regardless. They could probably sell the service for $100 and only give you a new gun emblem and it'd still sell. Call of Duty is like crack, yo.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
You knew it would happen...you knew it would happen...

And, equally, you know that people will pay it.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
So you want $8 a month so I can look at stats that I already ignore? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
In other news. Activision announces that you cannot play Call of Duty using steam anymore. Just in case you do not get all that stuff for free and better.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I like the way, even though it is optional to pay for it, and doesn't affect the online gaming that is currently on Black Ops in any way, people are running and crying

"oh no! I'm going to get Battlefield 3 now because of this D:"

Really if it looks good by the time MW3 comes out, I might actually get it, it looks interesting, and is going to be about £4 or less anyway, so I don't see the problem...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
pretty much had it with COD. MW1 was ok to play as long you dint had any stupid players in it. MW2 i never bothered to play it and i am less interested in MW3. black ops is slowly pissing me off that i have started to play TF2 again, which is more fun. i think i will delete black ops and dont bother with it anymore.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Seems like they want to give early access to new map packs and enhanced stat tracking stuff. Ok, yes, technically this is additional content that you don't need to play the game, but seriously in a game that relies on multiplayer, these things are going to be unofficially required to not be called a 'noob' by 11 yr olds in no time flat. Plus - they are calling it 'Elite'! CoD multiplayer is about to lose the tiny bit of maturity it has been able to hold on to so far. Enjoy your tea-bagging kids!

Here's how i see the convo going:

xxx1337sniperxxx: whats your (insert obscure pointless stat here)?
intheweeds: sorry i don't have 'elite'
xxx1337sniperxxx: haha fucking NOOB, go play halo!