Activision Unveils New Call of Duty Online Service

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I'd just love to see how many people actually would pay for this fee, then be disappointed in humans for it.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
See now this is where I have some major problems with the game industry. Yes I know there are costs for a service like this, yes there are employees to pay. But if the company ate those costs and provided them free to the customer then they'd draw in more people. As it sits, this will turn me off buying any future call of duties.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
uh, i kinda wish i wasnt already boycotting activision so that i could start boycotting them all over again for this ****
oh, and my **** captch has the greek letter delta in it

DustStorm

Oct 30, 2008
Massive undertaking? Bungie has been doing the same thing for free for a long time. IMO Activision has become extremely greedy. I'm not purchasing MW3 if they're charging for features that really should be free.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
This will result in them losing a lot of players, maps that are exclusive to this elite subscription and a stat tracker isn't enough to justify the subscription IMO. Doesn't bother me though as Black Ops was the last COD for me, I thoroughly enjoyed BO but I'm burnt out on the series and want to play other games now.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Good idea, Give them 10% of the game and release 90% in map packs and guns/gun mods over the next 2 years.

I highly respect the amount of courage activision is displaying, im sure thought that they are running behind some strong numbers to push this.

And i agree they cannot! have this plan without a payment they are going to release alot of maps in order to get more Subs, A normal company just cannot do that much work and not expect something in return.

On a side note i am willing to bet that 90% of the subscribers will be console users

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
What. The. Hell.

Okay, so, what they are saying is:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like all these extras for free on the last game, so I put a subscription fee on your subscription fee." (I know it doesn't fit the Meme, but still.)

This is going to end up (by time MW3 comes out):

1. You get basic multiplayer functionality, which consists of, more than likely, 5 maps.
2. There are 8 maps available at launch that you can play *if* you pay for the subscription fee.
3. If you're lucky, you'll get 1 more map per month that you can play *if* you pay for the subscription fee.
4. Know all those features you had in BLoPS for the theater and publishing? Locked until you pony up the $15/mo.
5. Know all of those amazingly OP Perks and bonuses? Unlocked when that $15/mo is paid. You get the bad ones until then (you know, like increased prone speed or something).
6. Hackers? Still rampant. Glitchers? Still unfixed, regardless. Dedicated servers? Still forgotten; didn't you forget them yet?

I have a feeling that MW3 will be the lowest purchase rate of all of the CoD Series. Unless CoD has the most epic singleplayer (better than Portal 1) and multiplayer (better than MW1), it's going to fall by the wayside and become the "Madden" of FPS; "Roster Updates" with every game. Except, with each game that comes out, the roster is the amount of guns they put into the game.

Bobby Kotick is running this company into the ground.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
tghm1801 said:
Didn't Bungie do this for free?
I was thinking the exact same thing. And Rockstar did something similar for free with RDR. Way to go, Kotick. If he was the leader of a nation, he would charge people $1 per cm3 of air.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Jamash said:
Activision must have some pretty big tricks up it's sleeve to neutralise the hackers which plague COD.

I mean, as it stands at the moment they don't have to do anything to ensure that nobody cheats and everybody plays a fair game, because nobody is paying for their service, but once they start charging people a subscription they'll have to actively hunt and ban anyone who cheats to ensure that the majority of their customers get the service they pay for.

I can imagine the Elite COD service will run normally like any multiplayer game should, while the free service will degrade into a anarchic laggy hack-fest with no rules or enforcement whatsoever.

Will Activision also be running their own servers to ensure their subscribers will be able to use their service in the event of another PSN outage, or would they force Sony to refund a portion of the fee... and what about scheduled PSN maintenance sessions?

A company undertakes a lot of responsibility and expectation once they start charging people a subscription, it will be interesting to see how Activision lives up it's part of the bargain (or more likely dodges it with small print and legalese).
WoW has a subscription fee yet i have botted mines day and night while i was playing would get around 1kgold/day nothing happened to me.

I assume you dont know how company's ban hackers, They would rather spend money on employes for them to fix the exploits/hacks rather then pay a person to sit at the computer all day removing paying customers.

You may see sometimes that a company has banned thousands of hackers well they only tend to do it once to make an example out of them but after that they dont really do anything, Just a show for the non hackers that things are actually being done

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Greedy bastards, - Hey we can sell these crappy maps for 15$ why not try chargeing these obsessive people a subscription to see their stats? GENIUS - how bloody big will their money pool need to be till they focus on makeing something for the actual players and not for the pocket book

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Bungie did this for all the Halo fans on their website (they still do) and it didnt cost us a penny. I have a feeling that this could come back and bite Activision square in the ass. (I hope it does) If it DOESNT, then prep yourselves to start seeing this happen with other games, too, and we will all suffer for it in the long run.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
If anything I watched the video all the way through just because it was quite entertaining. I can't actually remember much of the features of the Elite service, just YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH! from the 80s Transformer film.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Riff Moonraker said:
Bungie did this for all the Halo fans on their website (they still do) and it didnt cost us a penny. I have a feeling that this could come back and bite Activision square in the ass. (I hope it does) If it DOESNT, then prep yourselves to start seeing this happen with other games, too, and we will all suffer for it in the long run.
Yes so if you see any of your friends even remotely considering getting this new COD. Find the nearest large blunt object and beat them about the head with it.

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
I said it before with DLC and i will say it again

Any one who would pay for something that we once got or are getting for free needs to be removed form humanity.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
tghm1801 said:
Didn't Bungie do this for free?
This was my first thought.

Come on guys, heat maps? Leagues? Can't you come up with something better than that?