Activision: Wii Exclusive GoldenEye 007 Is a Great Opportunity

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision: Wii Exclusive GoldenEye 007 Is a Great Opportunity

Activision claims that its remake of GoldenEye 007 is designed to fill a shooter shaped hole on the Wii.

If you're like me, you have very fond memories of playing the original GoldenEye 007 on the N64, and that's something that Activision is hoping to tap into with its Wii exclusive remake, as well as taking advantage of a lack of competition.

"This game was originally on the N64, so there's the nostalgia factor for people that are Nintendo fans. So we wanted to partner with Nintendo for this," said Activision senior producer Brian Pass. "[T]he opportunity on the Nintendo Wii platform is huge. There's roughly 12 million Wiis in North America. But it's not really a console that a lot of shooter fans are playing on. So we wanted to offer them their own first-person shooter, that's unique and exclusive to that console."

Pass said that he thought it might be the Wii Remote and Nunchuk that were putting people off playing first person shooters on the Wii, and this was why GoldenEye 007 would support the Classic Pro Controller: "This is dual analogue stick. It's got the exact same layout you find on PS3 or 360 ... You put this in a shooter fan's hands and they instantly know how to play."

The Wii remake of GoldenEye 007 will have largely the same story, but will be altered to be more in line with Daniel Craig's portrayal of James Bond. GoldenEye 007 is scheduled for release in November.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/activision_explains_goldeneye_nintendo_exclusivity.html]

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Just as long as you
A) Don't have friend codes
B) Have a report option
Then I'll be more then happy.

But then again...There's gonna be a lot of (Why on the Wii? It should be on X360) post...just like last time....Or not..I'm shocked

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I hope there's 4 player splitscreen like the original, only way I'll consider getting this

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I prefer the Wiimote FPS controls, but if we're free to choose you won't see me complaining.

Yoshemo

Jun 23, 2009
I can't wait! But its activision.... so it'll probably aim for me, walk for me, and outline enemies in blinding red so I won't be caught offguard

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
As much as I loved the original and would love to see a remake, I think we could wait at least another generation for it to happen. In fact, I think I'm going to say something I've never said before and hope to never say again. This belongs on the PS3 or 360. Ouch. That genuinely hurt me inside. My reason for this is the only real benefit I can see in a remake is the higher quality graphics.

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
While it's awesome to see a remake of GoldenEye because so many people loved it (hopefully it'll be good), I never see what was so great about it. It was the first Bond game I ever played, and after hearing how great it was I was severely underwhelmed. The fact that one of their later Bond titles for the N64, The World is Not Enough, went comparatively unnoticed was also saddening. In my opinion TWiNE was just plain better than GE in every way but one: GoldenEye had cheats that were extremely easy to use for when you had beaten it and wanted to rape some face.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think the Wii was a perfect choiuce for it. RE4 was epic and the best on Wii and, I am sure Goleneye will be epic too for it!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Yes Wii EXCLUSIVE is a great oppertunity....for Port Pirates. You cut off all other consoles' access to a game, & some guy in a little electronics store shop in China or Russia starts making illegal PC ports, because everybody has a computer, but not everyone is willing to get a Wii. Then after he sells copies, an American kid gets ahold of one off eBay & uploads the port onto torents.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Yes, there are 12 million Wiis in North America. But aren't about 10 million of those owned by young children or their grandparents? It's not like Goldeneye will appeal to the likes of that niche now will it?

Okay, exaggerations aside, when I hear then touting the Wii exclusivity of this title, for some reason I hear "we're too lazy to update the graphics more than a single generation."

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I can't shake the feeling that this won't end well. I mean these guys are working under pressure and odds are that either they'll change it so much it pisses off the people who loved the original or they'll stay too true to the original and by doing so cause it to collapse under the expectations of today's gaming market. These are of course only predictions.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Yay! Remix of 007: Goldeneye on the Wii!! That is so aweso... wait... they're taking out Pierce Brosnan and putting in Daniel Craig? ... damn you, Nintendo. That's like giving a kid chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, but replacing the bitter chocolate with crap.

I'm still going to buy it, probably, but it won't be the same.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Oh! OH! Holy shit! they're specifically including a classic controller mode for people that don't like the wiimote!? +1 purchase of this game. Good on ya, activision!

-m

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Eh...as much as I want a Goldeneye remake, I don't think Activision are going the right way. Will this even resemble the game we used to play?

My biggest fear is it being too much like Call of Duty or any other modern shooter. 2 weapons max, regenerating health, aiming down the sight constantly. That's not Goldeneye.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Oh! OH! Holy shit! they're specifically including a classic controller mode for people that don't like the wiimote!? +1 purchase of this game. Good on ya, activision!

-m
I feel as though they've come to the conclusion "Hey, although we've made decent first person shooters with the wiimote, they're often forgettable. Let's just say screw the wacky-workout factor on this one and make a standard fps."