Activision's GoldenEye 007 Remake Eyeing Up 3DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Activision's GoldenEye 007 Remake Eyeing Up 3DS

Activision would love to port its Wii remake of GoldenEye 007 onto Nintendo's newest handheld.

Despite rumor after rumor, the remake of N64 classic Wii [http://www.amazon.com/James-Bond-007-GoldenEye-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003O6H7X0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279386805&sr=8-1] exclusive for now, but Activision producer Julian Widdows would have no problem bringing it to Nintendo's 3DS should the opportunity arise.

Speaking to CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=256114], Widdows said: "Let's put it this way I think we would all love to think that GoldenEye may make it onto the 3DS. Today we're talking about the Wii, but yeah if you were at E3 and you played with the 3DS it's a great bit of hardware and we'd love to see it on there. But we don't know, there're no plans yet."

"I think if Nintendo approached us we'd consider anything," he laughed. The remake is loaded with potential, and as we see in the latest trailer it looks to recreate the feeling of one-hit slapping matches and chastising friends for playing as Oddjob. Enjoying the GoldenEye 007 experience in 3D, or even just on a handheld would be pretty fun. Due to games such as a potential GoldenEye port, along with Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and the rest of the 3DS's lineup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup], 3D is actually the last thing making me want the 3DS right now.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=256114]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hahaha!
That would be cool.

Though id rather them just focus on one system and try to make it as good as possible.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I'd like to see that, but then again, I didn't really like playing an FPS on the DS to begin with. Goldeneye wouldn't be any different, I don't think. Then again, they have the analog stick now.

I'm intrigued, to say the least.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
SirCannonFodder said:
*Watches trailer* *Notices a distinct lack of Pierce Brosnan* What? Daniel Craig? GTFO of my Goldeneye!
I know and what of Sean Bean? I didn't see him either! *shakes PPK at Craig*

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
WHY did they go with Daniel Craig instead of Pierce Brosnan who was IN Goldeneye and was a better Bond?

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
That looks abhorant... The graphics are about 2% better that the N64 version and, considering that Goldeneye was the last proper Bond film, doesn't it strike you as a little revolting to see a crappy polygon Daniel Craig pissing about?

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Am I the only one here who likes Craig over Brosnan?
Most likely...
PureChaos said:
WHY did they go with Daniel Craig instead of Pierce Brosnan who was IN Goldeneye and was a better Bond?
I think it's probably because Craig is the current Bond (Even though Quantum of Solace sucked.)

Apr 28, 2008
Sounds sweet, can't wait for this game.

I remember many all-nighters with this. Ah, the good ol' days.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
dragonslayer32 said:
Why do a remake? It will never be better than the first one, especially the way Nintendo have gone.
Exactly. It can't even have any of the same level design, gameplay, storyline (from the game), guns, music or anything that made the original unique. If they do them Rare [read microsoft] will hbe planting the mother of lawsuits on their doorstep.

So generic game made by the developers of Duke Nukem Forever which can legally only be smiliar in name only.....yeh not going to dust off my wii for this one, I don't want to tarnish the memories I have of the original. In fact if i want to play the original I will just turn on my N64..the graphics looks the same anyway.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
omega_peaches said:
Most likely...
PureChaos said:
I think it's probably because Craig is the current Bond (Even though Quantum of Solace sucked.)
I think it's more legal issues. Microsoft are waiting to jump all over this game with lawsuits, I'm guessing the Brosnon likeness is more than likely tied into the original game's distribution rights or something similar

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
PureChaos said:
Partly because Activision have the licence to use Daniel Craig as James Bond (having also done Quantum of Solace), whereas when Rare made it, they had licence to use the then-contemporary image of Bond (Brosnan). Since Activision also has vastly more money to throw at it than Rare did, they can afford to take full advantage of using Craig as a voice too - he probably costs a lot less to hire than Brosnan, as well.

I think it'll be interesting to see a reimagining of Goldeneye, and while I'm kind of disappointed that it's not a revamp like Perfect Dark was, I'm going to be optimistic about it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
This is a travesty. An utter travesty. To think what could have been if Nintendo just grew a pair and let Rare release THEIR remake of Goldeneye. The one that was the ACTUAL GAME just with better graphics, none of this stupid, STUPID gimmicky crap like circling attack helicopters and rappelling and driving a truck to knock an assassin off the side. I mean WTH is that about anyway...

warprincenataku said:
SirCannonFodder said:
*Watches trailer* *Notices a distinct lack of Pierce Brosnan* What? Daniel Craig? GTFO of my Goldeneye!
I know and what of Sean Bean? I didn't see him either! *shakes PPK at Craig*
You mean your P99. That's right. Even the iconic PPK/PP7 gets the boot in this craptastic re-imagining.

I hope it bombs even worse than Rogue Agent did.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
dragonslayer32 said:
Why do a remake? It will never be better than the first one, especially the way Nintendo have gone.
Huh?

I thought it was was painfully obvious why they're remaking it - money. GoldenEye is a critically acclaimed game with a large fan base, so it will stand a good chance of high sales numbers.

Does it matter that it won't be better than the original? With how highly the N64 game is regarded, the remake only needs to be close to it in quality to be well received. Anyway, who said that it has to be worse? From what I've seen/read, this version will be vastly improved, it just won't have as high an impact. Or are you referring to those people that always complain that modern games are worse than the old games?

especially the way Nintendo have gone? I haven't noticed any difference between Nintendo then and Nintendo now, other than they're now 'winning' this console war, so if you could explain to me what you're on about, and how it affects a game being produced and published by Activision, that would be appreciated.

omega_peaches said:
Most likely...
PureChaos said:
I prefer Craig too. Also I think that they had to use him instead of Brosnan since their licence over bond only covers the new bond and not the previous ones.

N.B. the previous statement is 100% speculation on my part.

lostzombies.com said:
Exactly. It can't even have any of the same level design, gameplay, storyline (from the game), guns, music or anything that made the original unique. If they do them Rare [read microsoft] will hbe planting the mother of lawsuits on their doorstep.

So generic game made by the developers of Duke Nukem Forever which can legally only be smiliar in name only.....yeh not going to dust off my wii for this one, I don't want to tarnish the memories I have of the original.
Wild speculation is wild! Form what I've heard, there are many similarities between this and the original, and I'm sure they would be able to wrestle more features from the original game than the title; unless you managed to play the final game, you cannot accurately claim it to be generic; and what does pointing out that they are 'developers of Duke Nukem Forever' mean? Have they made and released a bad game? According to Wiki, the games being made by Eurocom [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocom] instead, whom have my full confidence after making the great game: Dead Space: Extraction.

OT: I'm looking forward to this game, what I've heard about it so far has been great. I will most likely get the wii version, even if they do port it since I find the controls for the wii superior for FPSs.