Activision's Putting Call of Duty On Wii U

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Activision's Putting Call of Duty On Wii U

Six Activision titles are headed Nintendo's way.

"We're committed to doing everything we can to support the Wii U," says Activision's Eric Hirshberg, "which is why we're excited to be bringing some of the most popular entertainment franchises in the world to the platform this year." The list includes Call of Duty, Skylanders Swap Force, Angry Birds Trilogy, Angry Birds Star Wars, Wipeout Create & Crash and Spongebob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge, a list that, according to Hirshberg, has "something for everyone." Call of Duty and Skylanders are the two powerhouses on that list, but the Wii U needs all the help it can get; console sales have been sluggish since release, and a lack of new titles has been blamed.

Nintendo's been doing its best to keep interest in the Wii U at peak levels; developing for the Wii U [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126248-Nintendo-Hopes-Cash-Will-Convince-You-To-Use-Your-Wii-U]?

Activision isn't the only big name developing for Nintendo's Wii U; Ubisoft is in there too [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124146-Ubisoft-Affirms-its-Wii-U-Support]. When Ubisoft affirmed its support, it said that "as with any new console, it takes some time to grow an established base." Maybe so. We'll see.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-26-activision-were-doing-everything-we-can-to-support-wii-u]

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Hooray, now the Wii U can have bland, generic modern shooters like the rest of us. I'm sure the 5 people who own one will be elated.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
But I thought the advanced fish AI could only be achieved through the 'power of the cloud'. What is my life?!

Well...So long as the Wii U version has a dog, I guess that's fine.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Angry Birds is published by Activision? I'm glad I didn't buy Angry Birds Space during the Steam Summer Sale now. At least people who love grey-brown corridors have one more console to choose from I guess.

idarkphoenixi said:
Well...So long as the Wii U version has a dog, I guess that's fine.
Maybe it will have *dum dum dummmmmmm* a Nintendog!

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
And to make the news even better, the team doing the port is Treyarch, which means it won't be a shitty port.

It could be the first CoD game I pick up after CoD4... that is when I get my WiiU in a year or so.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
While I have no interest in any of these games, I do think at least some of them will be good for pushing units. Angry Birds, in particular, is a good fit for the Wii U's touchscreen; even though phones and tablets already offer that experience, this'll be the first time it's on a TV screen and has good controls. Skylanders also has a lot of potential, especially if they can find a way to use the camera in conjunction with the toys.

I doubt CoD will sell systems, though. Seems to me the dudebros who want this game mostly already have a 360, and will either get the new CoD on 360 also, or will get an Xbox One for it.

P.S. Thanks

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Let me put it this way. If no one buys Call of Duty on the WiiU then that vindicates EA statement that there is no point in developing for the WiiU since that would suggest that people only want Nintendo games on it.

So, if you want more 3rd party games on it, THEN BUY CALL OF DUTY!
...Or...you know, you could buy the Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Zombi U, Tank Tank Tank!, or any of the other third party games coming or already out. I mean despite what this site might tell you, Nintendo does have third party titles.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
How is 'call of duty on the wii u' news exactly, when Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was a launch title?

OK, so I guess it means they're going to keep releasing them... But still... How is that news 6 months later?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Good, the console needs anything it can get. I'm surprised they're doing this after their COD sales but maybe it's easy to port to since it's more powerful than current gen tech?

Nintendo has some truly beautiful-looking first party stuff coming out. It's a shame I won't be getting one for a few years when I find it on a steep sale and can buy the first-party games at a discount. But if they manage to give me a reason to buy this one I'll consider it. But right now it's $350 (32GB version) vs $400 (standard) in the WiiU vs ps4 race and that's not looking good for Nintendo.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Is it sad that I'd actually be interested in the Spongebob Squarepants game? I mean all those other games I couldn't give 2 shits about, but I like some of the Spongebob games, specifically this one:

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Neronium said:
Is it sad that I'd actually be interested in the Spongebob Squarepants game? I mean all those other games I couldn't give 2 shits about, but I like some of the Spongebob games, specifically this one:
This game kicked ass.

But I doubt that someone can make a game as good as it this day and age, tbh. Not to mention that the SpongeBob franchise in general has pretty much plummeted in quality a season or two after the movie.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Or is EA right to think that there's just no point developing for the Wii U?
When has EA ever really been right about anything? Ever? (I'm sure I'll get some smartass response to this).

OT: Nintendo is having some start-up issues. But I think things will be on the turn around. At the very worst, Nintendo sales will likely be lower in America than anywhere else (which is sad, given that's where I'm at). But that's just my speculative prediction. We'll see how it turns out when the new consoles start rolling out.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ThunderCavalier said:
Neronium said:
This game kicked ass.

But I doubt that someone can make a game as good as it this day and age, tbh. Not to mention that the SpongeBob franchise in general has pretty much plummeted in quality a season or two after the movie.
Fun fact, the movie was actually supposed to be series end for Spongebob Squapants as the person who made Spongebob, Stephen Hillenburg was gonna resign after the movie was finished. However, Nickelodeon didn't want it to end and now the original creator only serves as the Executive Producer now, with Paul Tibbitt being in charge of a lot of the Spongebob series now.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
xaszatm said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Let me put it this way. If no one buys Call of Duty on the WiiU then that vindicates EA statement that there is no point in developing for the WiiU since that would suggest that people only want Nintendo games on it.

So, if you want more 3rd party games on it, THEN BUY CALL OF DUTY!
...Or...you know, you could buy the Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Zombi U, Tank Tank Tank!, or any of the other third party games coming or already out. I mean despite what this site might tell you, Nintendo does have third party titles.
Then let me clear it up. If you want more WESTERN 3rd party games, the buy Call of Duty.
Do you really think, even for a second any one with a WiiU will give 2 shits about CoD? chances are, if they do, they probably have a PS3/360/PC for that.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Once again, when Ubisoft says things, all I hear is their refusal to actually release Rayman Legends on the Wii U because they don't understand how causality works.